No one goes undefeated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
    Wait, doesn't the RPI now penalize you more for a home loss than for an away loss?
    The Shox RPI would indeed finish higher if any losses are on the road. For example:
    15-0 at home and 14-1 on the road gives a final record (in the RPI's eyes) of 28.6 - 0.6 (97.9%)
    14-1 at home and 15-0 on the road gives a final record (in the RPI's eyes) of 29.4 - 1.4 (95.5%)

The opposite would be the goal of bad teams. If you have a losing record on the year, it is better to get your wins on the road and lose home games. That is, assuming bad teams with losing records care about their RPI, which they probably don't.

Moral of the story, if RPI is your concern and you know exactly how many losses the Shox will have this year, be hoping that the losses occur on the road. If you don't know how many losses the Shox will have this year (all of us I assume) then just root for them to win every game.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      In direct response to what question, exactly? You attacked me for stating that I very much would like to see us go undefeated, then put words in HCGM's mouth by pretending he said that any talk, by anyone, at any time, of going undefeated sets the team up for failure. You then emphatically told me not to talk about it again. I missed the part where anyone asked you anything.

Leave the wet blanket act for fans of our competitors. This is a site for WSU fans. We don't need someone to rain on our parade whenever a fan shows enthusiasm or excitement about the greatness of this season's squad.

I will leave it at that and let you have the last word if you want it. This season is just too much darned fun to spend time fearing success, high rankings, and being a centerpiece in the national hoops conversation 24/7. I am loving it.
      My original comment:
      I can tell you with certainty that HCGM said talking about going undefeated is setting the team up for failure.

So stop talking about it and do what coach, and by extension, the team is doing. Focus on winning the next game, and after that game is over, focus on winning the next one.
      If the last sentence in that comment was taken by you as an attack, so be it. I apolgize for "attacking you". I didn't see any words like decrepit or phrases like "get a grip" in that response. Did I use similar phrases in my responses to those "attacks" ? Yes. Don't dish them out if you can't take them in return...

As far as this site being for WSU fans is concerned, I have been one, probably longer than you have been alive times 2. And this board had the debate over what constitutes a true WSU fan several years ago. It doesn't have to be re-opened. Let's just say that you are in the minority with you opinion...

Thanks for the last word..
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Thanks for divulging your age to all of us. Now it kinda makes sense how you may be out of touch with reality.

I promise you that you're in the minority with this, but go ahead and ***** and moan about that one too.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Thanks for divulging your age to all of us. Now it kinda makes sense how you may be out of touch with reality.

I promise you that you're in the minority with this, but go ahead and ***** and moan about that one too.
          Why is it that you must throw in personal insults with your arguments. I was agreeing with you up to this point.
          Your comments and frequent disrespect towards elderly people tells me you are probably just a punk ass kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Calshockfan View Post
            Why is it that you must throw in personal insults with your arguments. I was agreeing with you up to this point.
            Your comments and frequent disrespect towards elderly people tells me you are probably just a punk ass kid.
            I have no problem with elderly people. In fact, I'm gonna be one some day. If he's going to bring his age into the debate as if it makes him all-powerful and all-knowing, then I'm gonna go with it the other way also.

It was probably unnecessary for me to go there, but it was equally as unnecessary to bring up his age in the first place.

What's funny is that you just disrespected me because of my age.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Jimmy predicted us and UCONN women to enter NCAA Tournament undefeated on Sportscenter.

Comment

popcorn+pockets
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

There are at least 300 programs that wish they were in our position of worrying about the pressure of losing your first game and being ranked number 7 in the country. I wouldn't trade our position with any of them.

This is like playing King of the Mountain. If you don't want to be on top then what's the point of playing? I love it and I'm following basketball even more now than I ever have...even I have a hard time believing that!

The icing on the cake is how great these young men in our program are. It's great when you see good things happen to good people.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I have no problem with elderly people. In fact, I'm gonna be one some day. If he's going to bring his age into the debate as if it makes him all-powerful and all-knowing, then I'm gonna go with it the other way also.

It was probably unnecessary for me to go there, but it was equally as unnecessary to bring up his age in the first place.

What's funny is that you just disrespected me because of my age.
                    Actually I have no idea what your age is and I did preface the comment with probably. I do agree with you that he should not bring his age into the discussion.

Comment

• Any fan who expects the Shox to go undefeated into the NCAA's, or even St. Louis is setting themsleves up for disappointment. It's easy for fans to extend their own disappointment to become disappointed with the team. That's the trap of expecting to go undefeated.

I expect the Shox will end their season XX-1. XX will be replaced by a number > 30 - just depends on how far we go in the dance. I'm not expecting a NC.

I'm not going to be disappointed if I'm wrong. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. I know the players and coaches are capable of running the table, so I expect they will do it. I also know that what's expected doesn't always happen and I've learned to live with that.

So, I wll shamelessly and with no fear say that the Shox are going 31-0. If I'm proven wrong, that's all it means - I was wrong. Big whoop. I'd rather be wrong by predicting 31-0 than be trying to name 2 or 3 losses the Shox are going to have.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Update on the current batch of remaining unbeaten NCAA teams by Jeff Borzello of CBS Sports Last of the Unbeatens: Seven teams begin 2014 without a loss:

Wichita State (13-0)

What they've done recently: The Shockers got past a mini-test on Sunday, holding off Davidson by 11 to finish non-conference play with a sterling 13-0 record. Some of the non-league wins have lost their luster, but victories over Saint Louis, Tennessee, Alabama and BYU form a solid resume.
                        Next game: Jan. 2 at Southern Illinois
                        Next possible loss: Jan. 11 at Missouri State

Comment

• The Undefeated's

Week 11

2014 - 4
                          2013 - 0
                          2012 - 3
                          2011 - 4
                          2010 - 2
                          2009 - 1
                          2008 - 3
                          2007 - 0
                          2006 - 3
                          2005 - 3

Average = 2.3

Comment

• Another one bites the dust.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

• Sports Illustrated - "Arizona, Syracuse and Wichita State: Who will remain undefeated the longest?"

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                                Sports Illustrated - "Arizona, Syracuse and Wichita State: Who will remain undefeated the longest?"

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...=si_topstories
                                Wow. They clearly don't respect us as much as most have been..
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X