Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were all (at least a lot of us) are thinking this...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is going undefeated in the regular season a bigger accomplishment than winning the National Championship? I think so if you just look at how few teams have actually done it.

If it happens I would hope that we would win at least a couple games in the tournament just to legitimize the feat.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
      Is going undefeated in the regular season a bigger accomplishment than winning the National Championship? I think so if you just look at how few teams have actually done it.

If it happens I would hope that we would win at least a couple games in the tournament just to legitimize the feat.
      NO. I believe the longer we are undefeated the more pressure it puts on the team. I would rather go undefeated at home, but lose a game or two on the road.

Comment

My heart says 40-0. My head tells me that there are too many good teams between the Shockers and perfection. They're bound to trip up somewhere. I'm looking forward to see how they handle the next test.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post

With our schedule? No.

Comment

Let me think...go undefeated during the regular season and watch Louisville, Duke, Arizona, Nova or Florida win the national title; or lose a couple of games during the regular season and beat Louisville, Duke, Arizona, Nova or Florida for the national title. Mmmmmmmm!!!

Just too much pressure to have it both ways, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              Let me think...go undefeated during the regular season and watch Louisville, Duke, Arizona, Nova or Florida win the national title; or lose a couple of games during the regular season and beat Louisville, Duke, Arizona, Nova or Florida for the national title. Mmmmmmmm!!!

Just too much pressure to have it both ways, sorry.
              I really think you're overstating the effect of "pressure." I just don't think losing to Evansville is going to have any effect on how we do in the NCAA tournament, if it did, I would expect Marshall to throw a couple of games before the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                With our schedule? No.
                Exactly. But I think it'd have to be one crazy schedule for me to prefer an undefeated season over a national championship. We don't have a national championship banner, yet. I doubt we'd hang a banner for an undefeated season. Also, at the final four the ribbon board prior to the game was looping a list of national champions. Can you imagine what it would be like to be on that list? And you're right, with our schedule, people would say the same thing they said about Gonzaga last year. But even with the most difficult schedule, you still don't get a championship ring, a banner, or your name on the list.

Comment

I personally think "undefeated season" vs "National Championship" is an insane argument. Give me the title, hands down. I don't even care if our schedule included every single team from the Top 25 and every Sweet 16 team. I'd take a Sweet 16 over an undefeated regular season, maybe even a first round win over an undefeated regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    I really think you're overstating the effect of "pressure." I just don't think losing to Evansville is going to have any effect on how we do in the NCAA tournament, if it did, I would expect Marshall to throw a couple of games before the tournament.
                    Just think of what the month of February and early March would look and sound like. We are ranked in the top 5. All the national pundits are talking about "do the Wheat Shockers belong at the top of the rankings because of the schedule they have played?" "The Shockers are 31-0 going into Saint Louis, where they have never been champions...can they get that monkey off their back?" "The Shockers are 34-0 entering the dance. Do they deserve a number one seed given they come from the Valley of soft?" There will be an ocean of disbelievers coming from all directions except the great fans of Shocker basketball. Trust me, that would be pressure personified.

Comment

There have been 17 teams to enter the NCAAs with an undefeated record since 1951. Here is the breakdown of how they did:

National Champions - 7
                      National Runner Up - 2
                      Lost in Final Four - 3
                      Lost in Elite Eight - 2
                      Lost in Sweet Sixteen - 2
                      Lost in Round of 32 - 0
                      Lost in First Round - 1 (Columbia in 1951)
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Just think of what the month of February and early March would look and sound like. We are ranked in the top 5. All the national pundits are talking about "do the Wheat Shockers belong at the top of the rankings because of the schedule they have played?" "The Shockers are 31-0 going into Saint Louis, where they have never been champions...can they get that monkey off their back?" "The Shockers are 34-0 entering the dance. Do they deserve a number one seed given they come from the Valley of soft?" There will be an ocean of disbelievers coming from all directions except the great fans of Shocker basketball. Trust me, that would be pressure personified.
                        So you DO recommend throwing games if we get into late February undefeated?

Comment

Just because someone says an undefeated season and a deep tournament run are mutually exclusive does not make it so.

I will take them both please.

Comment

NO. I believe the longer we are undefeated the more pressure it puts on the team. I would rather go undefeated at home, but lose a game or two on the road.
                            Stop being so damn scared of success. It comes off very p****ish. If we lose, we lose. But why in the hell would you hope for it?

Just absolutely mind-boggling..
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

So you DO recommend throwing games if we get into late February undefeated?
                              We are not Boston College.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Stop being so damn scared of success. It comes off very p****ish. If we lose, we lose. But why in the hell would you hope for it?

Just absolutely mind-boggling..
                                Off the ledge Fever. You are the one putting words and themes to a simple discussion. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X