No announcement yet.

Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd quit worrying about Dougie G. He only cares about the power schools, which is fine. The basketball world will largely remain unimpressed until the dance....Shox will once again make believers.

What bugs me is that people like him don't seem to understand that this team is better than last year's. It's like the final four run never happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Too bad the committee doesn't use Kenpom.
      Which has nothing to do with my point. The best predictor of college basketball is poor reference material because it isn't used by the selection committee? Is that your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
        I'd quit worrying about Dougie G. He only cares about the power schools, which is fine. The basketball world will largely remain unimpressed until the dance....Shox will once again make believers.

What bugs me is that people like him don't seem to understand that this team is better than last year's. It's like the final four run never happened.
        It's not that they don't understand, it's that they think last year was a fluke and the Shockers were lucky. We obviously know differently, but there are a lot of people out there that won't give credit for that Final Four run. It will take multiple trips for people to start believing in this team. Sad thing is, if the Shocks somehow get bounced early from the dance this year, they will have to start all over again.

Comment

• "Bracket Briefing: Wichita State a No. 1 seed, not Michigan State, Kansas"

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
            Be prepared for the disrespect. They just said during this Pitt game that it will be interesting about what seed we get. Mentioned our win over Tennessee but basically called us out for no strong wins.

Little do they know this team FEEDS off of the disrespect. They are just feeding the monster. I feel sorry for whoever the Shox play in the tourney. The monster will be well fed and unleashed.

I say keep the disrespect coming. Most had WSU losing the first game last year and we know how that ended.

Eat it up Shox and when the time is right....unleash the beast!
            Mike DeCourcey of the Sporting News was on 810WHB a few days ago and said if we run the table and don't get #1 seed, it will be one of the worst seeding decisions in the history of the tourney.

For every Doug Gottlieb, there are 5 to 10 Mike DeCourceys. Ignore the haters....

Wolves and sheep...
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Gregg Marshall getting ready to be interviewed on www.610sports.com next
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                  Gregg Marshall getting ready to be interviewed on www.610sports.com next
                  That went pretty well. I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
                  The Assman

Comment

• What was said?
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• I'd quit worrying about Dougie G. He only cares about the power schools, which is fine.
                      Agreed.

The basketball world will largely remain unimpressed until the dance....
                      I'm not really buying the no respect card at least in the big picture. We are ranked 2nd and 4th in the 2 major polls. That seems pretty respectful to me.

Shox will once again make believers.
                      Always hard to predict how the tournament will go. We thought the 2011-12 team was going to be the break-out team and we had a tough matchup and didn't get out of the 1sat round. We were just glad to make the tournament last year but I don't think too many fans were realistically think Final Four. What we do know is that this team is almost a lock to make the dance (wins at INS and UNI this week will eliminate the almost aspect) and we know that if they are playing well as a team at tournament time then sky is the limit on how far they can go.

Keep in mind that guys like DG who try to cover and opinionate on all sports on a nationwide basis simply do not have the time to become expert in any one sport. They are generalists whose knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep. Just by the nature of what they do and what they are they by necessity fall back to the name on the jersey as a comfort zone. At least that's how I see it.

Comment

• Recap:

Coach took some time to watch Super Bowl. 2 prep days for InSU, then 2 for UNI.

Toughest week left. InSU is close 2nd in our league. Won at ND earlier. Can give us trouble. Cedar Falls always tough place to play. 2 road games, 2nd and 3rd in league, tough.

This year compares to last year: Healthy this year, Baker, Hall, Wessel missed time. Healthy this year. This year team tougher mentally, last year tougher physically. This team scores easier.

Talked about budget to justify losing money. Didn't lose money, reporter sensationalized the impact. Spent $5 million last year, 14% more, but money from NCAA divided among league, then divided over 6 years. Didn't make sense how we lost money.

One game at a time mentality has not been an issue this year. Looking beyond next opponent leads you to lose a game you shouldn't. Pitfalls in every teams schedule. Respect your opponent. Prepare to beat them. Then execute.

Tough to get respect. Many haven't watched us. On Doug G. says he doesn't understand argument that they shouldn't be more than a #2 or #3 seed. Beat St. Louis, beat Alabama, beat Tennessee, Beat BYU who beat Texas.

Team did not mention they were going to KU game. Wiggins family was here the day before, got tickets for Nick and others. Perry comes down and works out with WSU guys. Andrew obviously close with Nick and his guys also, so they are also friends.

Frustrations of trying to schedule big guys. Too good now for people to schedule. When he started we couldn't say we would help people. Now on 5th year with 25 or more wins, but now jumped from not good enough to too good. Will play anyone home and home. Will start on road. Will play in beautiful downtown arena. Goal is to play good enough schedule to put ourselves in position to get at large.

How process to schedule work: Did not call Bill, but did mention at a Rotary deal. Off-hand discussion. Bill doesn't seem to believe it is beneficial. Bruce Weber does, so hopeful that might happen. Has others work on scheduling.

Has game improved with new changes: Hasn't seen huge impact like first couple weeks. Found happy medium, haven't lost, so nothing to complain about.

On Charles Koch Arena: 10,500 going nuts for home team. No Football. No pro sports. Surprised they haven't been down. Hoops fan, 2.5 hours away, give us heads up, we will get them ticket for Mizzou State game.

Follow Up: Excited about possibility to go to game, if HCGM is willing to roll out carpet, they will definitely make trip down. Going to try to make that happen. Compared to Greg Popovich. Got pissed off about Dougie G question. Kinda short, but understandable.

Comment

• Thanks for the recap!
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Stop me if you've heard this before:

From the NY Times - Amid Weak Schedule, Wichita State Faces a Challenging Stretch

I did like this quote from Fred VanVleet.

“Nobody in this program feels like we’re at our best or reached our peak,” guard Fred VanVleet said. “Besides, we don’t worry about what the outside world is talking about. We know every game in the Valley is a challenge.”
                            The rest has all been said before, but at least we're in the New York Times!

Comment

• From the NY Times article:

Wichita State has only one victory against a current top-25 team, beating No. 13 St. Louis before the Billikens were ranked.
                              We beat St. Louis when they were unranked, so we don't have a win over a ranked team. BYU beat Texas when Texas was unranked, so BYU's W over Texas was not a win against a ranked team.

I think I'm starting to figure this out.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Keep in mind that guys like DG who try to cover and opinionate on all sports on a nationwide basis simply do not have the time to become expert in any one sport. They are generalists whose knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep. Just by the nature of what they do and what they are they by necessity fall back to the name on the jersey as a comfort zone. At least that's how I see it.
                                I disagree. His knowledge being a mile wide and an inch deep is by choice, not lack of time. It isn't unreasonable for someone to be well informed on all of the top 15 conferences if it is your job. He doesn't have to be, and so he gets away with it, but he has time to be better than he is. Many here are better than he is while working other jobs.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X