Final Four run pays off for WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
    JDMEE: I must have got some bad info from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...bates/2054833/
    I can't tell if you are being snarky as if this link somehow supports a single idiotic thing you posted, or you are just fessing up?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

JDMEE: I must have got some bad info from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...bates/2054833/
      Just 47% of Division I basketball players who started school in 2005 graduated by 2011, compared with 63% of all students. Two of the Final Four teams couldn't even manage that. In recent years, on average, the University of Louisville and Wichita State graduated a third of players. (For all students, Louisville's graduation rate is 48%; Wichita's is 42%.)
      Just to let you know 42% is not 30%. However if we look at where he got that data

or more specifically

and we search for WSU we can see the latest year shown starting with the Fr class of 2005 and includes graduating through 2011. That class had a 90% graduation rate.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
        Just to let you know 42% is not 30%. However if we look at where he got that data

or more specifically

and we search for WSU we can see the latest year shown starting with the Fr class of 2005 and includes graduating through 2011. That class had a 90% graduation rate.
        "Wichita State graduated a third of its players."

Just to let you know, a third (33.3333%) is very close to 30%. But like I said, the article contains bad information.

Comment

Just in case people don't understand these numbers, WSU's Graduate Success Rate (GSR) is 90% for the most recent class while only a 30% Federal Graduation Rate (FGR). Why the large disparity you ask? Good question, I'll tell you: FGR does not give a school credit for A) students who transfer out in good academic standing and graduate elsewhere or B) students who transfer into your institutions from another 4-year or 2-year school and go on to graduate.

In other words, as far as FGR is concerned, Jake White is a non-graduate no matter whether he leaves in good standing and goes on to graduate and Carl Hall is not counted as a graduate because he transferred in.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
            Just in case people don't understand these numbers, WSU's Graduate Success Rate (GSR) is 90% for the most recent class while only a 30% Federal Graduation Rate (FGR). Why the large disparity you ask? Good question, I'll tell you: FGR does not give a school credit for A) students who transfer out in good academic standing and graduate elsewhere or B) students who transfer into your institutions from another 4-year or 2-year school and go on to graduate.

In other words, as far as FGR is concerned, Jake White is a non-graduate no matter whether he leaves in good standing and goes on to graduate and Carl Hall is not counted as a graduate because he transferred in.
            Not trolling, just wondering: Will/did Carl Hall graduate? Did/will the other "seniors"?

Comment

So what you are telling me is the USA today author is manipulating statistics to paint college athletics in a negative light?

...shocking...
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

So in other words it is completely worthless as a measure for a team with a lot of players transferring in and out, which describes WSU the last few years.
                Last edited by MadaboutWu; May 7, 2013, 06:40 PM.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Not trolling, just wondering: Will/did Carl Hall graduate? Did/will the other "seniors"?
                  First, there is NO way if a kid transfers and the school's # is hit that KU has a 100% rate. That's without addressing the fact they've had several players incapable of college work. What if a kid goes pro? I can't even begin to figure the number of kids that left early for the pros. I suppose if you don't count ANY of those kids, and Brady Morningstar graduates, you could have a 100% rate, but common sense and the law of large numbers says no.

Carl graduated already and was working on his Masters this last year.
                  I know Rags went to work on getting a pro career started before he finished but that he was on course. Same with Toure' but he is walking this spring I believe.

Comment

EO will be receiving his mathematics degree... Yes, he arguably has much more talent in the classroom than on the basketball court. Anyone else should feel free to correct me but I think I remember Armstead transferring from Oregon as a Graduate transfer. Am I thinking of someone else? So the only one I'm not aware of is DW.

Comment

Another thing about these numbers. The 42% number is for WSU as a whole. But looking at that number is off also. It requires getting you degree in six years. So, in my family, four if us have a degree from WSU including two master degrees. However, my mom and sister took longer than six years to get their degrees, because of changing majors/evening weekend courses. This causes our rate to be 50%.

The author could be right, 5 of our 15 players on our team last year graduated. Even though the other 10 were underclassmen, still only 33% graduated. There is no explanation in how he got his numbers.

Comment

I'm just going to keep asking this:

Why is shockkansas not banned?

I've seen people get banned on this forum ... I know it happens. What allows this guy to continuously and blatantly troll this forum over and over again without repercussions? Three out of every four posts he makes on this forum are either attacking another poster or attacking WSU as a whole.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post

I've seen people get banned on this forum ... I know it happens. What allows this guy to continuously and blatantly troll this forum over and over again without repercussions? Three out of every four posts he makes on this forum are either attacking another poster or attacking WSU as a whole.
                          That's a great question and I would have to believe that his days are severely numbered at the current pace.

He only seems to come around after WSU accomplishes something much better than Kitten State, which has happened quite a bit recently. He just can't stand it.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

He really has more of an attitude that I associate with a k who kind of guy. He has a kind of flagship mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post

It would be better to just send a PM to one of the Admins to find out your answer instead of constantly rehashing it here, which has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                                It would be better to just send a PM to one of the Admins to find out your answer instead of constantly rehashing it here, which has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.
                                This thread has a subject other than his trolling? ;)

Fair enough, though.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X