Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club BJ is leaving - Waaaaa... Waaaaa.... Waaaa....... SHUT THE F UP PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember when Missouri was going to the big 10 and the big 12 was disbanding? Remember when fsu was in the big 12?

Until cu has a press conference at boys town ill roll my eyes.

If they go, whatever. If they stay, thosee will be delicious tears.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
      I'm calling my shot now: they will fire McDermott within the next four years and will be fighting for NIT berths most seasons with somebody like Dale Layer as their head coach. The CU people will pine for the good old days in St. Louis. Sundeckers, etc. They will be back in our conference someday.
      That may be the only post in history that I'll ever "like" that you posted.

I just don't think you fix a problem that isn't there. Sure, there's "opportunity", but it's not a magical fit to me. It sure hasn't hurt them from getting NCAA appearances over the last several years. They just don't win in the NCAA's which is their own chokish fault. It's gonna be a BIG time difference in competition levels. I think their time for shine is limited. They are geographical outlier in that conference. Their olympic sports are going to HATE it. I wonder what Ed Servais thinks about his baseball program entertaining the likes of Georgetown and Villanova for baseball (that's assuming those teams even have baseball programs, I have no clue). And how about those road swings? NIIIICE.

And like others have stated, it's not gonna be a cheap, 6 hour drive to St. Louis anymore for postseason. It's gonna be an expensive flight to NYC with some expensive hotel stays. They'll probably be lucky to get 1,000 the first couple of years to the Garden before the newness factors wears off and the middle of the pack finishes settle in. Then, they're gonna be crying for St. Louis and their "Creighton Invitational".

Even Coach McD seemed iffy at the postgame presser yesterday. Definitely hesitant on the move.

It's not gonna be pretty. The grass may look greener on the other side through the stained glass windows, but when you actually go outside, it actually might be yellow and parched. Then you might be longing for what has elevated you so well.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        With or without SoW, CU will be a little down next year with the loss of GE and Gibbs.
        Sub, I have to respectfully disagree w/ your statement of being "a little down". Without those three individuals they don't have near the offensive firepower (don't forget Gibbs led the team in apg) nor interior defensive presence to beat the quality teams they were able to beat this year (like Wisconsin, WSU and California). In turn, the RPI top 50-100 teams will be a dog fight for them. I think they'll have enough firepower to beat some of those teams, but not w/ near the success they had this year.

Again, I'm not saying they are going to have a losing record, but I don't see them being in the top 50 and if some of their unproven players don't live up to their "expectations", then I think they will be flirting w/ being out of the top 100.

Now, if DM stays, then I'll say yes, they'll be a little down. However, the void of GE will be felt and I don't see anyone on their current roster who can fill it. Also, Gibbs was DM's favorite assist man. A little of that chemistry will be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
          I'm calling my shot now: they will fire McDermott within the next four years and will be fighting for NIT berths most seasons with somebody like Dale Layer as their head coach. The CU people will pine for the good old days in St. Louis. Sundeckers, etc. They will be back in our conference someday.
          Flashes of brilliance on this post! Well done!

Comment

I don't think DM stays and agree that they will be more than a little down.

I look for DM to go this year b/c his point guard is graduating and he knows they won't be as good next year. If he stays, it will only be b/c he is trying to keep daddy employed another year.

I noted that Creighton has recruited three 3-star players for this year, but one of them looks to me like a lunch-pail type (like Shaq, Carl or Cy). It will take a freshman big man at least a year (and probably two) before they can contribute meaningfully at this level.
            Last edited by shocka khan; March 12, 2013, 08:18 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

I don't think I've heard a lot of crying or whining, just discussing a hot topic around our league. But maybe I haven't been following close enough due to the fact that I've been out watching and supporting the team.

Like most posters on this board I follow this team win or lose. But I also understand the need for fair weather "message board" fans.

Edit:typo

Comment

Unlike some here, I wish CU the best wherever they land. Their administration is looking at dollars only in this and maybe our administration would do the same given a similar opportunity. CU (at least as far as I am concerned) will be missed in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                  Unlike some here, I wish CU the best wherever they land. Their administration is looking at dollars only in this and maybe our administration would do the same given a similar opportunity. CU (at least as far as I am concerned) will be missed in the Valley.
                  Exactly. Why would WSU not jump at the same opportunity that CU is getting? Hopefully it works out for them. Maybe it won't. I would also like to see the CU-WSU series keep going because it will definitely be a better RPI game than we get OOC normally.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                    Exactly. Why would WSU not jump at the same opportunity that CU is getting? Hopefully it works out for them. Maybe it won't. I would also like to see the CU-WSU series keep going because it will definitely be a better RPI game than we get OOC normally.
                    Of course we would. We're all hoping for the chance at doing it in the MWC. Only difference is we wouldn't be guaranteed near the TV money that the C7 schools are going to get.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                      I don't think DM stays and agree that they will be more than a little down.

I look for DM to go this year b/c his point guard is graduating and he knows they won't be as good next year. If he stays, it will only be b/c he is trying to keep daddy employed another year.

I noted that Creighton has recruited three 3-star players for this year, but one of them looks to me like a lunch-pail type (like Shaq, Carl or Cy). It will take a freshman big man at least a year (and probably two) before they can contribute meaningfully at this level.
                      I think Doug stays. For those that think he is leaving, where do you expect him to get drafted? Most mock drafts have him as a second rounder. Second round picks aren't even guaranteed a contract. If he stays he gets to be the top dog for another year and make a run at 3,000 points. Best case scenario he gets drafted low first round and is playing in the D-league. College sounds more appealing than that.

Comment

I think the question that will determine DM's return will be, does he want the experience of playing in the new conference or will he be concerned that playing against consistently better competition may negatively affect his draft stock?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          I think the question that will determine DM's return will be, does he want the experience of playing in the new conference or will he be concerned that playing against consistently better competition may negatively affect his draft stock?
                          The loss of Gibbs and GE will hurt both Dougie and Creighton immensely. Gibbs' six assists will mean six less shots for Dougie. GE taking defender out of the lane will mean six less shots for Dougie.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Of course we would. We're all hoping for the chance at doing it in the MWC. Only difference is we wouldn't be guaranteed near the TV money that the C7 schools are going to get.
                            I would be willing to negotiate future assets to move along with CU. Yeah travel is going to suck for the less profitable sports but the exposure and the money received makes it >>>>

(fyi not saying your against just stating my case and used your quote to do so.Which is in agreeance with your first "Of course we would")

Comment

With or without SoW, CU will be a little down next year with the loss of GE and Gibbs.

However, don't sleep on Johnson or Dingman being better with another year and Manigat is still there. Artino has come a long way the last month or so and I think will be a nice player. They won't be the same team, but they could still be Top 50 and definitely Top 100.

Not sure who they have coming in next year, but I'd bet there's some pretty solid recruits.

In the C7 group they'll be no worse than middle of the road. But they'll also be richer for being in the league. They aren't G'Town or Marquette, but I think they have as much potential as anyone else. Not saying they're guaranteed to be better than the rest, but they can be competitive. And who knows what happens to recruiting with the hype of the new conference.
                              With GE, Gibbs and the loss of Josh Jones, the 3 seniors CU loses 1969/6800 minutes played (29.0%) and 721/2563 points (28.13). Add SoW and they lose 3036/6800 (44.6%) and 1507/2563 (58.8%).

WSU lost last year 4243/6701 (63.3%) of the minutes and 1859/2545 (73.0%) of the points.

WSU will lose this year 3151/6800 (46.3%) of the minutes and 1067/2361 (45.2%) of the points.

We have seen the replacement for our losses and know they can handle the load. We just haven't seen what CU's replacements can do.

Comment

With or without McD, CU won't be as good next year as they had the potential of being this year (but never really lived up to), and that's why McD won't be there. Without Etchasketch (and especially without McD) they're just another unathletic Valley team that shoots a whole bunch of 3s--chuck and pray. When they're hot they'll be unstoppable, but on off nights they're gonna find it tough to beat a girl scout troop.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X