Jake White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake White?

I understand he is only a Sophomore, but I had high hopes for him this year. Unfortunately, he seems to have taken a step back or at very best is stagnant in his growth.

He is almost continuously getting beat(slow feet) on the defensive end, his three point shooting is below 10%, and I have yet to see a real post move from Jake.

What do you guys think? Where does he fit in, in his next two seasons at WSU?
    Last edited by DPruett2333; January 24, 2013, 11:53 AM.

He just needs to stop shooting. But he seems to be in the right place at the right time when rebounding.

Oh, and stop trying to take charges. Not gonna happen. Refs dont like you.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Really? The kid is half way through only his second season in D1 ball and gets significant minutes on a team that's ranked in the top 20 in country. Where does he fit in? Looks to me like he's doing quite well!

Comment

I am unhappy with Jake White's performance. I have seen some serious lapses in defense that can only come from not having your head totally screwed on. To me he seems just a step short in all facets of his game. He needs to continue to work harder and/or get tougher because his game often sticks out like a sore thumb (to me).

T

...:cool:

Comment

There are still open questions about Jake (especially his outside shooting and defense, although at least there are signs of improvement with his D), but he is still leading the team in 2-point shooting percentage at .675 and is second only to Carl Hall in rebounds per 40 minutes.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I have a mixed feeling on him as well...at times he seems lost, but he does seem to board well.

Comment

Jake will be a situational player in my opinion. People would probably overlook some of his other shortcomings if he was making a few more shots. Unfortunately, I think his brain is in a bad place right now on the offensive end.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Back issues...but still the young man plays thru it and shows a ton of toughness. Love his rebounding.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I'm going to compare him to David Kyles. He is a continual contributor in things that you don't take much notice in. Hustle, rebounding, setting screens, being in the right place, etc. But his failures are right in your face, everytime. He has something going on with his 3 point shot. We don't know what it is, if he's had to change his shot, it's all mental, what ever, but his outside shot is off. It becomes obvious to all of us, when at one point he was 2-21 from 3 on the season. That's a sore thumb, it sticks out. And the biggest knock against him is his slow feet. He tries to take charges, and hasn't gotten one called his way the entire season if my memory serves me correctly. It's infuriating, and we take notice. David did a lot of things to make us get angry, but he did a lot of things that went unnoticed, and he got a lot of minutes because his effort and knowledge and all the little things he did, got him those minutes.

I'm hoping to see Jake really improve on his agility and get his confidence back in his 3 point shot. He should continue to be a solid contributor, and I think he has done a great job this season in helping this team when we needed him to step up. He helped our post out so much when Carl was out with the thumb.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Only a sophomore...not worried. Growing pains.

Comment

David was a 6'4" black kid from the south who was one of the fastest and most athletic guys who ever wore a Shocker uniform. Yep a carbon copy of Jake.

Comment

You missed @_kai_:'s point by almost as much as one of Jake's 3 pointers.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Jake has collected some very HUGE rebounds and crucial put-back points. He is not ging to be a 15-ppgscorer, but contributes in a lot of ways. Yes, his errors can be glaring. Those times should become less frequent as he plays more.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Not everybody that takes a skollie here is going to be All-Valley. Jake can have a nice career here and contribute.

Comment

Right now, Jake's offensive game reminds me of Ryan Martin, who, if I recall correctly, got most of his points on put-backs. But Jake needs to be more like Kyle Wilson. Develop that perimeter shot, add a couple of post moves and keep working on defense.

I do think his 3-point shot will come around. Just maybe not this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X