No announcement yet.

Injury update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reports on Hall seem to be positive. He may be able to return for the IllSt game or the CU game. "Able to return" is all the more we should expect. All that means is that his thumb has healed enough that it's not going to break again in a game. Bone pain is nasty and doesn't disappear just because the bone is healed enough to not risk further damage. Catching and throwing are more likely to hurt like Hades than shooting, but limitations on catching and passing are likely to leave Hall well below 100% for another month (or more).

By now, I think it's overwhelming that Wessel goes medical for the year.

I doubt we should expect anything out of Baker until at least mid-February. He might be able to "go" a week or so before that, but I doubt he'll be anything more than a role player trying to eat minutes and get his game back through (at best) most of February. Games that Ron may be able to contribute at some level may include @ IndSt 2/19, vs. UE 2/27, and vs. CU 3/2. Stress fractures are evil. Then there's muscle atrophy in the affected leg due to 2 months of inactivity. It's a tough injury to overcome. We might see something resembling the Baker we're accustomed to seeing by the NCAA tourney.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Some bad other bad potential news tucked in the article about Wessel's surgery.

Hall is less confident about playing the 16th than he was earlier:

Hall has missed five games since injuring his thumb in practice. He got the cast off last week and the thumb is swollen and sore.

“I’m thinking the end of the month,” he said. “It might be two weeks, depending on how it’s feeling. It’s getting better every day.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/01/08/262...#storylink=cpy
      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I see baker popping up in a lot of places on here. Now that hall is back and officially dominating, and we have closure on Wessel, it's down to baker. Is he still on schedule?

It's two more weeks before even practicing right? If he gets cleared...

Comment

I saw this thread up at the top and my heart stopped. I was sooooooo worried that someone new was getting added to it.

I hope Baker gets back soon. We will need him in March.

Comment

I suppose I'd also like to know if cy echinacea is going to miss any time.

Comment

It's sort of OT -- but since you mentioned it, DJ06, how did Echenique come to be known around here as Cy?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                It's sort of OT -- but since you mentioned it, DJ06, how did Echenique come to be known around here as Cy?
                I guess that's your problem when you have half the posters on ignore.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Cyclops because of the goggles and apparently an eye problem at some point a few years ago

Comment

On Sports Daily this morning Bruce Heartl said that he thought that Ron Baker could begin walking this week. His understanding was that it was 6 weeks with no weight on the foot and then one week of walking on the foot. Actually, I think a full six week would be at the end of this week. A week of walking will pretty much take Ron to the end of Janaury.

After the week of walking Ron, if he is pain free and cleared by the Docs, can begin with perhaps some jogging, cycling and other conditioning work but it will take a while for him to get back into shape. Unlike Carl, Ron has not been able to do much during his time off.

I would like to see Ron start getting some limited playing time on February 9th against MSU. Maybe he could sneak in for a few minutes earlier than that but making sure Ron is healthy enough to go is more important the bringing him back too soon. Even getting him back by the MSU game in February may be pushing it a little. Not only does Ron need to be healthy, but he needs to believe he is totally recovered.

Comment

Rather than jogging why not swim? You can get a great cardio workout swimming plus no stress on the old stessed area.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        Rather than jogging why not swim? You can get a great cardio workout swimming plus no stress on the old stessed area.
                        He may very well do that. I think they have one of those endless pools or stationary pools in the trainng room don't they. Could be he may have been doing some swimming during his time off.

The thing is swimming uses your muscles in a totally different way than basketball, so while there would be some cardio benefits I think he still will have some work to do to get his legs into basketball shape.

Comment

I like the sound of feb 9th. That leaves several weeks to prepare for a productive end of season run. I really hope he can still contribute some this year for his own sake. He has had to sit for an awfully long time, effectively watching others step up and try to take his indefensible spot. Now he has to re earn something that was his. I bet he comes out hard.

Sometimes I forget to respect that baker was starting on a team that turned out to be this good.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            He may very well do that. I think they have one of those endless pools or stationary pools in the trainng room don't they. Could be he may have been doing some swimming during his time off.

The thing is swimming uses your muscles in a totally different way than basketball, so while there would be some cardio benefits I think he still will have some work to do to get his legs into basketball shape.
                            I think it was on last week's coaches show where Marshall said Baker wasn't even allowed to swim. I assume that means until he's off crutches.

Comment

I noticed Baker didn't have crutches the other night. Is he able to swim and or do any fitness conditioning of any kind at this point?
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I noticed Baker didn't have crutches the other night. Is he able to swim and or do any fitness conditioning of any kind at this point?
                                http://www.kansas.com/2013/01/31/265...-crutches.html
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X