No announcement yet.

WSU vs. Charleston Southern game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite play of the game: Chadrack grabbing the rebound on his missed FT at the basket. You occasionally see the shooter rebound a FT the bounces hard off the front of the rim, but I'm not sure I can remember a big guy like CJ missing and then beating everyone to the ball at the basket. The CSU coach was sure it had to be a lane violation on CJ. I would like to see that again, but if it was a lane violation it wasn't obvious in real time. I will have to watch the replay on ESPN3.

My pick for maybe you don't want to do that play of the game: Cle falling out of bounds under the CSU basket in the 2nd half and dropped the ball back in bounds right under the basket in front of two CSU players. Cle had a great game. He was entitled to one brain cramp.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 20, 2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• I actually agree with pretty much everything you observed and stated, CBB. I will say we were lucky to hang on for the W, after the opponent won the key decisive stat of the game - free throw shooting.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
        The lack of tolerance for any mistakes by Wiggins is getting old. I hope he gets a longer leasch on Saturday. For the second time this season the sideline confrontation was an absolute train wreck.

Overall, the second half was a sign of things to come with this new group. I am optimistic e about Saturday.
        I get where you're coming from. BUT, Wiggins had 3 opportunities to get on the floor for a ball. He passed on each one. Each time he was removed from the game. Each time he was reinserted in the game a couple minutes later. I think getting lost occasionally on defense or running a wrong play every now and then will still leave you a little leash with Marshall. Not hitting the deck for a loose ball will never. I think Marshall is doing his very best to get these new habits instilled in Wiggins. And I think Nick is handling it with head held high. I see a positive conclusion in sight.
        Last edited by Cdizzle; December 20, 2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Coach knows the players better than we do...if there is a confrontation, I'm sure it is for a reason. No one player is better than the team. He is only trying to make the player and team better. No one get's "special" treatment.

Comment

• This is Lufile's second double-digit rebound game. He also seems to get about 1 point for every 3 minutes he plays when he gets significant minutes.

The minutes he's getting now with Hall out and Orukpe gimpy are going to pay major dividends in February and March.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• The Bucs are a team that could score oodles of points in a short amount of time. However, the Shox turned up the volume on both sides of the court and it payed dividends for the win. In the 1st half, when they got the 6 point surpass on us, some teams would fold up the tent and take off to them thar hills baby. Instead, our 9 players sucked it up and earned the win.

Oh, almost forgot. We not only got the win, the world will not end 12/21/2012, and FSF will still be right here blowin and goin hot air on SN as always. Therefore, rest easy and sleep peacefully Shocker Nation. So far, so good.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                I actually agree with pretty much everything you observed and stated, CBB. I will say we were lucky to hang on for the W, after the opponent won the key decisive stat of the game - free throw shooting.
                We actually did a good job today on getting steals without fouling a lot, but a lot of that varies from team to team. Charleston Southern didn't seem to penetrate at all, and they seemed to love just handing around the perimeter and shooting 3s (they were pretty good at it though). I we ended with something like 11 steals to 16 fouls, which is really excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  This is Lufile's second double-digit rebound game. He also seems to get about 1 point for every 3 minutes he plays when he gets significant minutes.

The minutes he's getting now with Hall out and Orukpe gimpy are going to pay major dividends in February and March.
                  Don't forget about next year. Lufile should be our starting center next year, and we'll need him to be a big contributor.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                    The lack of tolerance for any mistakes by Wiggins is getting old. I hope he gets a longer leasch on Saturday.
                    Why, he played. He missed a great post up, easy pass to Early. Obviously, they had just emphasized getting the ball into the post 5 minutes earlier in the locker room. When the post is that open, you have to pay him off. I didn't see it close but Marshall was obviously in Nick's face.

Look, Marshall does a great job with kids. This is not Psycho Frank or Crazy Bobby Knight. Give him some of your tolerance. Nick Wiggins is a great talent who is improving but needs to continue to grow as a basketball player and as Chadrack said tonight, Coach Marshall is pushing him and making him better. He seemed appreciative and Nick may feel that way sometimes too.

Comment

• Whoever called in griping about Lynn....if you're listening, you can try me on for size.

Lynn's the best fan we have....if the team had shown her passion in the first half, we would have been up 20. If you don't like Lynn maybe your light blue beaker boxers are a shade too snug.

Coach was back to his old self tonight. All the passion, all the demonstrative emotions....it was great. More than worth the price of admission.

Really proud of the guys in the 2nd half. They got better at halftime, they played harder, they played smarter and they grew up some. That was a tough game, against a decent team with a former HCGM assistant at the helm. A win is a win. 10-1.

Next

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                        Don't forget about next year. Lufile should be our starting center next year, and we'll need him to be a big contributor.
                        I would guess that Kadeem Coleby has at least as good a shot to start at center next year, but starter or not, Lufile should get a good bit of playing time.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Here is what I think about Chadrack and Wiggins. They previously were probably both 11th and 12th in minutes played. Suddenly, they got called on for more minutes. Yes, they have much to learn and Coach will give them some 'firey furnace TLC' along the way that may be hot and heavy. It reminds me of the hell-fire brimstone tent revival preachers I heard when I was knee high to a grasshoppa. However, if 3G did not believe in them, he would not waste his time on them.

Both players are playing within the confines of team play and both give us a needed lift. I doubt either of them have had their behinds chewed out any more than EO has since jump street. It goes with the territory and they are already both developing as players and improving. This is what we like to see. Coach Marshall recruits all players that he believes that can come in and be good enough to start or finish games. Then he molds these young men into a team unit that wins their fair share of games. You can't be a softee and survive in his demanding System.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Whoever called in griping about Lynn....if you're listening, you can try me on for size.

Lynn's the best fan we have....if the team had shown her passion in the first half, we would have been up 20. If you don't like Lynn maybe your light blue beaker boxers are a shade too snug.

Coach was back to his old self tonight. All the passion, all the demonstrative emotions....it was great. More than worth the price of admission.

Really proud of the guys in the 2nd half. They got better at halftime, they played harder, they played smarter and they grew up some. That was a tough game, against a decent team with a former HCGM assistant at the helm. A win is a win. 10-1.

Next
                            Someone complaining about the coach's wife has to be a new low. That can't be a shocker fan. If it somehow is, they must openly dislike Marshall. I really hope he calls that out somehow.

I am also pissed that my freaking section is so dead. I am in 118 and I am rabid at games. That section even stifles me sometimes when I let it. It's like watching the game at a funeral sometimes.

Finally, thanks for the reminder about 10-1. How about that?... Given all the worries and unknowns prior to the season. This start is an absolute triumph.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                              I would guess that Kadeem Coleby has at least as good a shot to start at center next year, but starter or not, Lufile should get a good bit of playing time.
                              I'm assuming that at the beginning of the year, Lufile starts because he has the experience edge. Marshall doesn't like to throw people into the fire. Cleanthony was our leading scorer for awhile coming off the bench.

Regardless, I'd expect both Lufile and Coleby to get major minutes next year. It shouldn't matter which is the back-up, as the minutes will roughly be equal. It will be interesting finding room for Shaq.

Comment

• Don't mind KC Shox, he has a perennial lump of coal in his Christmas stocking..

I had a great time at the game tonight. It was very entertaining watching all the new players getting significant minutes. I love the athleticism! Any time we're turned over on the perimeter (I think coach calls those atomic bombs), I love watching how the rest of the play unfolds. Usually it ends with the opponent wondering how in the hell a Shocker or two caught up with him and either swatted, stole, or altered his shot. Thoroughbreds.

The first half was clumsy with new players learning how to work together in front of The Show at Koch Arena. Several outstanding dunks made the first half satisfying for me. Wiggins' in your face dunk was sick. The second half was a huge improvement with MTXE making an appearance. Lufile getting his own missed foul shot and then completing the And 1 is the act of a champion. It's a shining example of playing like a winner and turning negatives into positives. Seeing Lufile make that play tells me all I need to know about that man. He has a lot more to show us. The team that showed up in the second half could win a lot of games without Hall, Wessel, or Baker.

I thought EO looked much improved mobility-wise. He is still tentative but I saw him make several aggressive defensive plays which was encouraging. His "coming out" party at the Iowa game was a culmination of several improving performances that preceded it. It's going to take a few games for EO to get back up to the "Iowa level". I saw a marked improvement in him tonight, hopefully he takes a couple more steps towards becoming the "old EO" again Saturday night.

I just really like all our players on this team. They all have so much potential. Jake confuses me because I thought he finished so strongly last year. Perhaps the athleticism and speed on this team just keeps him off balance. It's hard for him to contribute in rebounds like he did last year with guys like Lufile and Early banging around. They are much more aggressive than Jake.

One last thing, I'm going to enjoy watching Early in the NBA.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                                X