2024-25 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

At one point on Saturday there were 3 non-Shockers on the court together. That's totally fine. And it's lame at the same time. But I get why these guys are here. They are trying to win some $$$.
    I don't mind having the non Shockers on there. As long as there is a core of Shockers. It's been fun adding "honorary shockers" in the summer as long as they represent us well. Tyrus McGee, Caleb Walker and Jordan Parks have all done that very well over the last couple years.

As far as fan support... Big bad KU has less fans here tonight so far than they did on Saturday.

Comment

• “The team I like has the best fans and the team I hate has a bunch of fair-weather fans.

If the team I like is bad, they’re not worth showing up for. If they’re good, fans show up because they’re good fans.

If the team I hate is bad, their fans don’t show up. If the team I hate is good, the fans show up because they wouldn’t show up if they were bad.”

- Every sports fan ever
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Lol
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Comment

• RH: "It's A Determination To Be Better" - Up Early To Be Better

Forward Harlond Beverly is in Koch Arena before 7 a.m. to work on his shooting. Guard AJ McGinnis sets four alarms to get him on the move. Forward Ronnie DeGray III sets his alarms at 6:47 and 6:55.

Assistant coach Quincy Acy meets them (as do other coaches and managers to help with workouts) and his routine is set – fresh fruit smoothie and tea.

"I'm like a robot," he said. "I put my pot on the stove, water, and I grind up some fresh ginger root. Two teabags – peppermint tea and a ginger turmeric tea. My alarm every day is at 5:30 and I get right up. That tea is what gives me my juice."

Those are the behind-the-scenes basics of Wichita State basketball's breakfast club, an hour of reserved gym time at 7 a.m. for Shockers who want to work on their game outside of practices. Wichita State is wrapping up its summer workouts this week.

"I have a lot to improve on," Beverly said. "We have great coaches that really know what they're doing skill-development-wise. When they suggest something you need to do to get better, I think I should listen."

Practices with the team are largely devoted to defense.

"It's the foundation," associate head coach Kenton Paulino said. "We spend the majority of time on defense and letting it be known early with a new group that we're going have a defense-first mentality."

Much of the breakfast club sessions with individuals are devoted to shooting, ball-handling and footwork. Getting out of bed to sweat in the gym when many of their peers are asleep also shows something.

"It's a professional mind-set," Acy said. "It's a determination to be better. If you commit to being disciplined and showing up, even when you don't feel like it, that translates into real life. That is what makes millionaires. That is what make successful people."

McGinnis, a newcomer, DeGray and center Quincy Ballard are among the regulars in the morning sessions for the same reason. It is a time to work on skills that will help them with the Shockers and if they choose to play professionally. They work on fundamentals such as a dribbling through orange cones for layups and floaters, three-pointers off the dribble or after a catch and free throws.

"I'm getting consistent repetitions for my jumper and expanding my game," McGinnis said. "Working on the things that I'm bad at, whether that be ball-handling or getting to different spots. Getting to the rim."

DeGray became eligible in mid-December and gradually increased his contributions as he acclimated to the team. In late January, he scored 12 points in a over SMU and followed that with eight points at Tulsa and 12 at Memphis. He scored a season-high 15 and eight rebounds in an AAC Championship win over Rice in the first round. He added eight points and six rebounds in a win over Memphis.

Early mornings this summer should help him continue that trend.

"I'm working on a lot of catch-and-shoot threes and a lot more ball-handling," he said. "I'm coming into what I can do to help this team and I feel like the coaches put a lot of confidence into me."​​

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              RH: "It's A Determination To Be Better" - Up Early To Be Better
              Practices with the team are largely devoted to defense.

"It's the foundation," associate head coach Kenton Paulino said. "We spend the majority of time on defense and letting it be known early with a new group that we're going have a defense-first mentality."
              This part is what warms my Shocker basketball heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

This part is what warms my Shocker basketball heart.
                My question is this emphasis on defense-first mentality something new? I don't recall that defense seemed to be that much of a focus last year. If this is a new priority what caused that change in focus?

Comment

My question is this emphasis on defense-first mentality something new? I don't recall that defense seemed to be that much of a focus last year. If this is a new priority what caused that change in focus?
                  Maybe he figured out that Shocker fans have a hard on for intense defense so he's trying to play that up.

His teams have never been all that great defensively so I'm not buying it until I see it.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

RH: "It's A Determination To Be Better" - Up Early To Be Better

Forward Harlond Beverly is in Koch Arena before 7 a.m. to work on his shooting. Guard AJ McGinnis sets four alarms to get him on the move. Forward Ronnie DeGray III sets his alarms at 6:47 and 6:55.

Assistant coach Quincy Acy "It's a professional mind-set," Acy said. "It's a determination to be better. If you commit to being disciplined and showing up, even when you don't feel like it, that translates into real life. That is what makes millionaires. That is what make successful people."

That's what gets me fired up.

Successful people....well done Coach (coaches).

Comment

If this is a new priority what caused that change in focus?
                      The realization that the offense was not very good (200+) and will not be likely any better this year. So only way to improve record is be a better defensive team.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

The realization that the offense was not very good (200+) and will not be likely any better this year. So only way to improve record is be a better defensive team.
                        Offense has nowhere to go but up. It should be better this year. I’m not expecting a world beater but top 50 defense and top 100 offense should be doable.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I'm guessing HCPM went through a very similar learning curve that HC3GM went through after his first year in the MVC (which carried over to the AAC).
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Offense has nowhere to go but up. It should be better this year. I’m not expecting a world beater but top 50 defense and top 100 offense should be doable.
                            Just the addition of Hill should bump us nicely. Having to rely on Cortes and/or Bell to run the point was a disaster.

Comment

• At least they’re trying…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                At least they’re trying…

I'll give them some credit for doing this. This would definitely help some people who might be on the fence about season tickets. It can be a lot to ask up front for some.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X