Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Comment

‘Ready for November’: Current Wichita State players awed by AfterShocks’ TBT crowd

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE
          JULY 22, 2024 6:02 AM

"The handful of newcomers on the Wichita State men’s basketball team are used to practicing at Koch Arena, but only when it’s completely empty of fans. This past Saturday was their first experience inside an energized Roundhouse, as the team was introduced at halftime of the AfterShocks’ opening-round win in The Basketball Tournament.

Even with the crowd at just a third of the capacity and the WSU alumni team winning easily, Koch Arena made quite an impression on the current crop of Shockers who have yet to play a game on Devlin Court. “It was really cool to see how everybody in the community came out and supported the Shockers,” said first-year transfer Zane Meeks. “It made me ready for November. I know we need to practice, but I’m ready to fast forward the next four months and lace them up tomorrow now. There were only like 4,000 fans in there and it was still really loud...."​

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            ‘Ready for November’: Current Wichita State players awed by AfterShocks’ TBT crowd

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE
            JULY 22, 2024 6:02 AM

"The handful of newcomers on the Wichita State men’s basketball team are used to practicing at Koch Arena, but only when it’s completely empty of fans. This past Saturday was their first experience inside an energized Roundhouse, as the team was introduced at halftime of the AfterShocks’ opening-round win in The Basketball Tournament.

Even with the crowd at just a third of the capacity and the WSU alumni team winning easily, Koch Arena made quite an impression on the current crop of Shockers who have yet to play a game on Devlin Court. “It was really cool to see how everybody in the community came out and supported the Shockers,” said first-year transfer Zane Meeks. “It made me ready for November. I know we need to practice, but I’m ready to fast forward the next four months and lace them up tomorrow now. There were only like 4,000 fans in there and it was still really loud...."​
            By "Shocker" TBT standards, that was a little bit weak. Will there be more tonight?

Comment

if our fans don't come back this season, we need to stop talking about how much fan support there is here in Wichita. It's been really weak the past several years, including the TBT game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                if our fans don't come back this season, we need to stop talking about how much fan support there is here in Wichita. It's been really weak the past several years, including the TBT game.
                Honestly, I think when we start winning again is when we’ll see fans return. That’s just how it is. The product hasn’t been there to really be ecstatic about as of late

Comment

I don't equate TBT support with Shocker basketball fan support. They live in the same neighborhood, but they are just different. I personally find it a little difficult to get into the TBT. I'm obviously pulling for them and will tune in but the young dudes in the Winter are what get me fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Honestly, I think when we start winning again is when we’ll see fans return. That’s just how it is. The product hasn’t been there to really be ecstatic about as of late
                    Isn't that the definition of fair-weather fans? I always thought Shockerfans were better than that.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

By "Shocker" TBT standards, that was a little bit weak. Will there be more tonight?
                      8pm on a Monday? I wouldn't bet on it
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        . It's been really weak the past several years, including the TBT game.
                        Wasn’t last year when we had two of the top crowds in TBT? I was there last year and my memory says we were around 5-6K per game. That is as good as anywhere in TBT. In fact I thought last year was when we had the 7K record. For summer basketball that’s really good and was why they cam3 back to Wichita this year again.

Summer basketball watching a good number of 3-4 year Shockers playing basketball once again in CKA is exciting. It’s watching 1 year mercenary players that isn’t very exciting to fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Wasn’t last year when we had two of the top crowds in TBT? I was there last year and my memory says we were around 5-6K per game. That is as good as anywhere in TBT. In fact I thought last year was when we had the 7K record. For summer basketball that’s really good and was why they cam3 back to Wichita this year again.

Summer basketball watching a good number of 3-4 year Shockers playing basketball once again in CKA is exciting. It’s watching 1 year mercenary players that isn’t very exciting to fans.
                          At one point on Saturday there were 3 non-Shockers on the court together. That's totally fine. And it's lame at the same time. But I get why these guys are here. They are trying to win some $$$.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

At one point on Saturday there were 3 non-Shockers on the court together. That's totally fine. And it's lame at the same time. But I get why these guys are here. They are trying to win some $$$.
                            Rashard Kelly will probably take one of those guys out of the game. RK plays the game right. He rebounds, passes, and can guard positions 2-5 if necessary. Switching defenses is built for RK. He knows how to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Isn't that the definition of fair-weather fans? I always thought Shockerfans were better than that.
                              Kind of, but we had a near all time rough period where it was all doom and gloom around the program. So yes kind of fair weather, but also no, because the program was a bit in the gutter and wasn’t worth the time going to the arena.

definitely seems on the upswing now though, and if I wasn’t in the UK, I’d be going. As it is, staying up to 2-3am or whatever during work week is tough lol

Comment

• Every era of Shocker basketball has included a large contingent of fairweather fans. Nothing wrong with that and we're no different than anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X