2024-25 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'll give them some credit for doing this. This would definitely help some people who might be on the fence about season tickets. It can be a lot to ask up front for some.
    Agree, it could make a big difference for ‘Joe Shockers’ fan. Current inflation is at a crisis level… I’ve been very fortunate in my lifetime. I don’t know how people are getting by in today’s economy.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      I don’t know how people are getting by in today’s economy.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          RANDY!

Comment

• Adding To His Game - Harland Beverly Refines His Shooting Form

Harlond Beverly possesses quick feet, imaginative moves and a knack for driving past defenders to get to the rim.

Imagine what he can do if he makes more jump shots.

"Whenever someone says you can't do something, or there's a knock on you, you want to eliminate all those doubts," he said. "I'm really focused on improving that aspect."

Beverly, a 6-foot-5 senior guard, spent the summer refining his shooting form and expanding his range. He made 25.8 percent of his three-pointers last season, and that performance drove his workouts. He, like many Shockers, played well late in the season and showed the potential for more consistent scoring.

Over the final six games, he made 8 of 18 threes. In that stretch he averaged 15 points and shot 51 percent from two-point range. Against Memphis in the American Athletic Conference tournament, he totaled 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting, six rebounds, five blocks, five steals and three assists.​

"He understands the threat that (three-point shooting) makes him if he's a much more respectable shooter," Wichita State coach Paul Mills said. "It's been evident in the summer that he put a lot of time into it. I think it will translate as the year approaches."

In addition to scheduled practices over the summer, Beverly regularly worked on shooting and other skills in an early morning session. His progress started last spring. Mills said within a month after the season ended people told him Beverly's jumper had improved.

"I'm making a lot more shots and feeling really comfortable," Beverly said. "I'm still trying to make it become a habit, so I don't want to say it's fully changed."​

"There just aren't many players like him who have that big of an advantage with their first step," Mills said. "If you can shoot a shot, because somebody is in a particular coverage or a particular closeout, it makes you that much more dangerous, given your athletic ability."

Beverly's athletic ability and driving skills aren't questioned. Those advantages grow significantly if revamping his jump shot is successful.

Comment

• Several of the players' work ethic over the summer, so far, gives me even more optimism as the season approaches. I like to hear this stuff.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• RH: Competition Rises in Second Summer with Paul Mills

Ten Shockers own two or more seasons of NCAA Division I experience. The roster totals seven players with NCAA Tournament experience. Eight Shockers own a career-high game of 18 or more points.

Wichita State's roster is stocked with experience and people accustomed to playing significant minutes and in significant games. It is also the second summer for eight Shockers under coach Paul Mills. They know how practices operate, and they know the expectations. The adjustment period between coaches and players is in the past for many Shockers.

"It's a lot faster-paced," forward Ronnie DeGray III said. "We're competing for minutes. There are more guys here that that's their nature. Really competitive guys."​

Over summer workouts, which ended in late July, that meant strong competition with evenly matched teams and drills. The backcourt might be the best example, where Mills appears to enjoy plenty of options for ball-handlers and scorers at both guard spots.

"Pretty intense," McGinnis said. "Nobody wants to lose, especially because you have to run if you lose."

Practices rarely bogged down due to inexperienced athletes who slowed the tempo or presented mismatches. A year ago, the intensity of some practices dropped from a lack of depth and understanding of the new way of doing things.

"I didn't walk away from a single day this summer and think that," Mills said. "The separation between (player) 15 and 1 is not as big of a gap, maybe, as it was other teams I've been around."

"All the guys, you can tell they love to play," Beverly said. "Nobody wants to lose. Nobody is OK with losing."

Two newcomers made strong impressions with their energy and competitive spirit. Junior forward Corey Washington is a transfer from St. Peter's (N.J.) and one of the Shockers with NCAA Tournament experience.

"He does everything," DeGray said. "Rebounds. Shoots, scores. His motor keeps on going."

Pipkin, from Houston, quickly earned a reputation as an annoying defender willing to harass dribblers the length of the court.

"He's very assertive," Mills said. "He is a water bug offensively - that ball is going to get advanced up the court as quickly as possible. The place where he really made his impact was defensively, simply because he extends it to 94 feet. It's different than a lot of freshmen."

"The main focus was that we needed to make sure defensive fundamentals are in place," Mills said. "We were fifth in our conference defensively last year and we need to be better. That's what's going to give us a chance to win."​​​

Comment

• RH: Podcast with Matej Bosnjak on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Matej Bosnjak, a 6-foot-9 center from Croatia, joins the podcast to talk about his home country, his favorite food and his passion for soccer club Hajduk Split and the Green Bay Packers. Bosnjak discusses choosing Wichita State, his adjustment to the United States and why he wears No. 17 for the Shockers.

Matej Bosnjak played for Cibona, of Croatia, in the Adriatic Basketball Association last winter.​

Impressive introduction to Matej.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    RH: Podcast with Matej Bosnjak on Shocker Basketball
                    Impressive introduction to Matej.​
                    This is a really good listen. Thanks for posting it!

Comment

• So ready for shocker basketball to start. Seems so far away

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        RH: Podcast with Matej Bosnjak on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Matej Bosnjak, a 6-foot-9 center from Croatia, joins the podcast to talk about his home country, his favorite food and his passion for soccer club Hajduk Split and the Green Bay Packers. Bosnjak discusses choosing Wichita State, his adjustment to the United States and why he wears No. 17 for the Shockers.

Matej Bosnjak played for Cibona, of Croatia, in the Adriatic Basketball Association last winter.​

Impressive introduction to Matej.

Matej is more articulate in English than I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Indeed, he's more polite and thoughtful than I as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

If anyone is like me, I didn't know who Mantej Bosnjak referre to as OG on the Shocker staff who has been a big benefit in recruiting him to Wichita and the American culture. Here is a little about OG. and why he would be a good "bridge" for MB.

As an aside, were Radunovich or Zarcho from Zagreb?

Ognjen Stranjina was named the Director of Recruiting in July of 2023. Stranjina handles recruiting efforts for the men’s basketball staff, including travel itineraries,

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Indeed, he's more polite and thoughtful than I as well.
                              Not true.

Comment

• RH: Podcast with Ronnie DeGray III on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State forward Ronnie DeGray III joins us to break down summer workouts and two of the newcomers who popped in his eyes. He discusses his late-season surge in 2024 and how coach Paul Mills boosted his confidence. DeGray also talks about how his father influenced his basketball career, why he wears No. 3 at Wichita State and his career goals in an NBA front office.

DeGray, from Parker, Colo., averaged 5.8 points and 3.5 rebounds in 24 games last season, highlighted by 15 points and eight rebounds in a conference tournament win over Rice and 8 points, 6 rebounds and two assists against Memphis, also in the tournament.​

Comment

Working...
                                X