As of Mid-May 2024 --- Roster has been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Lots of Senior Logjams on this eleven. Maybe all 11 will play. Not to play the Juniors and Freshman would be malpractice unless they can't compete with the Seniors.

At one time Zion Pipkin was rated a Top 100 recruit by many recruiting rating systems. I have to believe that he is ready to play, and can compete with Cortes and Bell..Bosnjak and Washington are also ready to compete. That may leave a Senior, or two as odd men out. Gregg Marshall used to say that "WINNING" creates chemistry. He was a pretty good coach, and didn't back down to player peer pressure. I think he was right.
    Marshall was an elite coach ... and even he had teams with chemistry issues ... even with winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Marshall was an elite coach ... and even he had teams with chemistry issues ... even with winning.
      If you're worried about chemistry (all the while when winning), your priorities are skewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Never really tuned in with Austin. Keep Austin Weird is very much in perpetual motion. I'd have rather stayed in Wichita, but money talked.
        Austin used to be “weird” and even pretty fun. Nowadays it’s like a junior Los Angeles. Overcrowded, expensive and overrun by California liberals.

Comment

• My far too early starting 5 prediction:

Hill
          McGinnis
          Washington
          Meeks
          Ballard

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
            My far too early starting 5 prediction:

Hill
            McGinnis
            Washington
            Meeks
            Ballard
            Good selections except for Washington and Meeks. Not saying Meeks won’t and Washington won’t be there. However, Washington might be the 4, and there are several possible 3’s.

Comment

• I wonder if the clincher for Meeks was HCPM informing him he was bringing in a quality big man that would eliminate the need for Meeks to play much at the 5. I was a bit of a Germany-phobe as far as having to pair Meeks with Ballard at the 5. At 6-9, 220 it would be challenge for him to hold his own and perhaps even to make it through the season given his past injury issues. Matej at 6-9, 240 looks much better equipped and pre-disposed to play effectively at the 5. MIght explain why Meeks waited so long to commit.

This was really good work by Coach Mills and his staff to take to put gravy on the taters and icing on the cake to round out this year's roster instead of just settling for whatever they could get.

I guess will see how this all shakes out, but hard not to be optimistic. Much more so that last year.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 22, 2024, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Hill
                McGinnis
                Washington
                Meeks
                Ballard
                If we had this roster 2 years ago, we would have still started Joe Pleasant.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

If we had this roster 2 years ago, we would have still started Joe Pleasant.
                  But he hit two huge free throws for Abilene Christian in an NCAA Tournament game. That basically locks you up as a starter at WSU.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If you're worried about chemistry (all the while when winning), your priorities are skewed.
                    It definitely prevented us from winning more a few years

Comment

Hill
                      McGinnis
                      Washington
                      Meeks
                      Ballard
                      Total agreement. I'll go a step further and propose a way too early rotation

Hill/Cortes
                      McGinnis/Bell (first semester)
                      McGinnis/Pipkin (second semester)
                      Washington/Beverly
                      Meeks/DeGray
                      Ballard/Bosnjak​

That leaves Williams without much court time, but I think he will see the opportunities available next year. Mamba and Ighovodja will need to be happy getting an education and developing their games.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Don't think who starts matters a heck of a lot. Last four minutes of a close game matters more. MB, Washington, HB, McGinnis and Hill. Last two minutes could see QB coming in when opponent has the ball. Also think XB will be in the mix as someone who can create his own shot in the paint............as long as he doesn't do it to selfishly unaware of team mates

Comment

It definitely prevented us from winning more a few years
                          Gregg Marshall has built Wichita State into a monster of the Midwest and, in the process, ascended as one of college basketball’s elite head coaches. Now entering

Your right. We sucked.

Comment

Gregg Marshall has built Wichita State into a monster of the Midwest and, in the process, ascended as one of college basketball’s elite head coaches. Now entering

Your right. We sucked.
                            Sigh. I'm sorry you are missing the point.

Comment

Sigh. I'm sorry you are missing the point.
                              You are missing my point. Chemistry is totally undefined, and overblown. Most of the best teams aren’t best because of some undefined terminology that a coach has some influence, although quite limited. Chemistry comes from leadership. It comes from unselfishness. It comes from players who care deeply from the inside out (team first). It comes from players who like each other. It happens because of talent. It comes because a team wins. Everything I just said cannot be defined as can 2+2=4 so the problem is solved.

The only way to give chemistry a grade is by a winning record, and even then, teams don’t always produce their capabilities, and usually you, Shockhat, and Onegreatracer won’t agree on why.

Comment

• I’ll say this about chemistry.

At the Final 4 reunion, Fred asked kids in the room to cover their ears and then said that “it was a f***ed up year.” I remember that he used the word “dysfunctional” to describe that team. And the season still ended up well.

Anyone know anything about the Yankees in the late 70s? “Bronx Zoo” description comes to mind. They still won back-to-back titles.

So yeah, in a land of rainbows and unicorns, it sounds good to think that all successful teams always have that positive chemistry. It doesn’t always work that way though.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X