X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Unlikely.

NIT potential is there.
    I agree. I am not expecting NCAA tourney. That would be quite a leap for year 2. I am more optimistic right now than last year.

I am just hoping for postseason play. NIT....etc. And if we are even close to the bubble I will be pleased. Games aren't won on paper. While I do think we will be vastly improved...that really isn't saying much with how this year went.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Richard Goodall took his first ever plane ride to AGT, where he sang "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey and received the Golden Buzzer from Heidi Klum!» Watch...
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That line of thinking makes a lot of sense imho. And with so many open scholarships next year, it seems likely it's a younger player that gets to step into one of those in year 2.

Someone that, say, is a stretch 4-5 type, maybe in the 7'2" range, nimble with great footwork but a strong core and lower center of gravity that prevents him from being pushed around. Rim protector, great FT shooter and looking to be an aeronautical engineer. Elite leaper.

Comment

I don't mean to set unrealistic expectations. If Mills can coach, and these kids are healthy (regardless of the 14th piece) this is a tournament team barring a terrible AAC conference which I admit is up in the air. Memphis should be good and I expect USF to be good. After that, tough call. We might not be a multiple bid league.

But this group is as talented, balanced and experienced since 2017. The non-con is good enough. This team is a 20+ win group, at least. Washington is going to be a star. We have a good big man and an elite shooter stretch 4-5. We've got depth at guard and now an excellent ball handler. Everybody has a role. As a team, with good coaching, this is a top 50 team.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
            I keep hearing/seeing comments about another commitment coming in. I wonder if it could be an international player?
            The things I've heard mentioned were a good walk-on that we are using NIL creatively instead of a scholarship. But last I knew international players aren't eligible for NIL (due to the Visa stuff)

Comment

I don't mean to set unrealistic expectations. If Mills can coach, and these kids are healthy (regardless of the 14th piece) this is a tournament team barring a terrible AAC conference which I admit is up in the air. Memphis should be good and I expect USF to be good. After that, tough call. We might not be a multiple bid league.

But this group is as talented, balanced and experienced since 2017. The non-con is good enough. This team is a 20+ win group, at least. Washington is going to be a star. We have a good big man and an elite shooter stretch 4-5. We've got depth at guard and now an excellent ball handler. Everybody has a role. As a team, with good coaching, this is a top 50 team.
              Doc, you're going to upset a few people on here with your prognostication.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The things I've heard mentioned were a good walk-on that we are using NIL creatively instead of a scholarship. But last I knew international players aren't eligible for NIL (due to the Visa stuff)
                No problem, just sneak him across the border into New York for a week. He'll get a check there, then move him to Wichita where the feds will give him free healthcare and education. Problem solved.

Comment

I thought you opposed the use of marijuana? Seems like you may have smoked some good stuff.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Jazz Gardner, 7'0" trfr from Nevada seems to still be uncommitted. He would be a Soph next year. 4* HS player who never got untracked at Nevada. Needs to work on shooting, but he wouldn't have to do much until '25-'26. If Acy sees possibilities with him, he would be a possibility.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Doc, you're going to upset a few people on here with your prognostication.
                      I know, and I apologize. I also included so many caveats (health etc) that it's really not much of a prognostication. Even internally, it's hard for me to believe I'm thinking like that, given my relatively poor view of the program in general of late. The last thing I expected from me was a rosy outlook.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; June 10, 2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I thought you opposed the use of marijuana? Seems like you may have smoked some good stuff.

I'm having my meals and beverages checked prior to consumption going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I mean, its not THAT crazy. Mills has done a pretty good job plugging holes in the roster this year.

Hill gives us the ball handler we didn't have. If we can get the GOOD Cortes from the last few games for ~10 min a game so Hill can rest. PG should be much better.

McGinnis helps with the Rogers gap. Bell and McGinnis is probably a pretty good switch off here with both of them having different game types.

The 3 spot has probably 3-4 people that can switch into it. Bell, Beverley, Washington at least

The 4 is pretty solid with Washington, Degray and Meeks

The 5 with Ballard and Meeks.

So no glaring holes. Also doesn't appear to have a superstar anywhere, so hopefully Mills can use that to his advantage to build a team aspect. Also I didn't even account for the freshman here. Any contributions this year is just a bonus.

Comment

• Keeping players happy when the team is loaded with Sr's, Fr, and Sophs isn't as important as it would be with more class balance. The Fr and Soph's can see PT opening up next year and the Sr's and grads students are gone next year regardless. The Fr and Sophs aren't likely to get enough PT to be hot commodities in the NIL market.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I thought optimism was banned on SN. Glad to see it making a comeback.
                              Spread the optimism at all functions and put butts in seats now. It's up to the fans at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Keeping players happy when the team is loaded with Sr's, Fr, and Sophs isn't as important as it would be with more class balance. The Fr and Soph's can see PT opening up next year and the Sr's and grads students are gone next year regardless. The Fr and Sophs aren't likely to get enough PT to be hot commodities in the NIL market.
                                The Freshman are set up to be key contributors in year 2 with a year under their belt along with a LOT of playing time opening up with at least 7 spots opening up next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X