As of Mid-May 2024 --- Roster has been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I mean, its not THAT crazy. Mills has done a pretty good job plugging holes in the roster this year.

Hill gives us the ball handler we didn't have. If we can get the GOOD Cortes from the last few games for ~10 min a game so Hill can rest. PG should be much better.

McGinnis helps with the Rogers gap. Bell and McGinnis is probably a pretty good switch off here with both of them having different game types.

The 3 spot has probably 3-4 people that can switch into it. Bell, Beverley, Washington at least

The 4 is pretty solid with Washington, Degray and Meeks

The 5 with Ballard and Meeks.

So no glaring holes. Also doesn't appear to have a superstar anywhere, so hopefully Mills can use that to his advantage to build a team aspect. Also I didn't even account for the freshman here. Any contributions this year is just a bonus.

Excellent breakdown. No glaring holes (assuming health etc). ANYTHING the new kids bring is a big bonus. For instance, if TJ or Zion earn minutes, then they're stealing from someone that has a ton of D1 experience. That means they're really talented and learning fast.

Also, now we have several players that possess a skill that's somewhat unique. I'm not saying we have 5 unicorns but........

Q is a problem defensively and you HAVE to guard the pick and dunk or we'll run it until his legs fall off.

Washington's motor is off the charts. You cannot leave AJ alone on the arc and Meeks makes you adjust how you guard him too. You cannot sit in the lane and allow him shoot freely. X can get to the cup like few others. Bev is an elite defender and is just going to be better with Q a little older and wiser...he's going to have a ton of steals and leadouts this year.

I don't know if these guys will play as a team, but I am confident they wouldn't be here if Mills didn't think they would. I think this group is going to be pretty athletic. Not crazy, but good. I hope they play up tempo (which I think is how Mills wants to play) and heat up the other guy as much as possible. It might simply be wishing, but I really believe this is going to be a fun team to watch, both in their success and the manner in which they obtain that success.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Excellent breakdown. No glaring holes (assuming health etc). ANYTHING the new kids bring is a big bonus. For instance, if TJ or Zion earn minutes, then they're stealing from someone that has a ton of D1 experience. That means they're really talented and learning fast.

Also, now we have several players that possess a skill that's somewhat unique. I'm not saying we have 5 unicorns but........

Q is a problem defensively and you HAVE to guard the pick and dunk or we'll run it until his legs fall off.

Washington's motor is off the charts. You cannot leave AJ alone on the arc and Meeks makes you adjust how you guard him too. You cannot sit in the lane and allow him shoot freely. X can get to the cup like few others. Bev is an elite defender and is just going to be better with Q a little older and wiser...he's going to have a ton of steals and leadouts this year.

I don't know if these guys will play as a team, but I am confident they wouldn't be here if Mills didn't think they would. I think this group is going to be pretty athletic. Not crazy, but good. I hope they play up tempo (which I think is how Mills wants to play) and heat up the other guy as much as possible. It might simply be wishing, but I really believe this is going to be a fun team to watch, both in their success and the manner in which they obtain that success.
      Simply wishing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I mean, its not THAT crazy. Mills has done a pretty good job plugging holes in the roster this year.

Hill gives us the ball handler we didn't have. If we can get the GOOD Cortes from the last few games for ~10 min a game so Hill can rest. PG should be much better.

McGinnis helps with the Rogers gap. Bell and McGinnis is probably a pretty good switch off here with both of them having different game types.

The 3 spot has probably 3-4 people that can switch into it. Bell, Beverley, Washington at least

The 4 is pretty solid with Washington, Degray and Meeks

The 5 with Ballard and Meeks.

So no glaring holes. Also doesn't appear to have a superstar anywhere, so hopefully Mills can use that to his advantage to build a team aspect. Also I didn't even account for the freshman here. Any contributions this year is just a bonus.
        I would make DeGray at the 3 over Bell.

Comment

I don't mean to set unrealistic expectations. If Mills can coach, and these kids are healthy (regardless of the 14th piece) this is a tournament team barring a terrible AAC conference which I admit is up in the air. Memphis should be good and I expect USF to be good. After that, tough call. We might not be a multiple bid league.

But this group is as talented, balanced and experienced since 2017. The non-con is good enough. This team is a 20+ win group, at least. Washington is going to be a star. We have a good big man and an elite shooter stretch 4-5. We've got depth at guard and now an excellent ball handler. Everybody has a role. As a team, with good coaching, this is a top 50 team.
          Doc, you are very right. Mills brought in STUDS who are all competitive as hell, mostly extremely athletic, and most of all PROVEN at a level that will at least somewhat translate here. We have every role locked down, including a SUPERSTAR with Washington.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I'd be surprised if either one gets many 3 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Eh .. I think Bell's game fits better at the 3. Bell is much better at slashing or backing down defenders and getting into the lane than DeGray. DeGray is much more suited for floating down low and getting the ball closer to the rim along with getting rebounds for put backs. Positions don't mean nearly as much, but Bell is a 2-3 for me and DeGray is primarily a 4 with spot minutes at 3 or emergency 5.

Bell is better than many give credit for. He 100% should not be the focal point of the offense like it seemed like he was this year, but he absolutely has a skill set to get into the lane. When he doesn't have 3 players collapsing on him, he's pretty good at finishing. The key will be to get him the ball in the position to where its really hard for the other teams to collapse on him. Which I think Hill can help with.

Comment

• Meeks + Bell will be insanely effective if Bell can pass out. They keep the big down low, Meeks is draining threes. He pulls them out and nobody can stop XB 1 on 1 to the rim.
                Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I'd be surprised if either one gets many 3 minutes.
                  I'm not sure, but I might put DeGray even with or over Beverly. I think they are very close. Beverly's poor 3pt % is a concern for me at the 3.

Comment

• If I had to guess the most common and potentially effective lineup, I'd go with:

Hill
                    McGinnis
                    Bell
                    Washington
                    Ballard

That gives you a true PG/Distributor in Hill. A big man in Ballard that you have to watch every time he screens for a roll. A shooter that you can slack off of in McGinnis, and 2 slashers/Finishers in Bell/Washington that you have to watch for back door as motion is going on in other areas.

You could also pretty much sub Beverley in for Bell with similar results IMO.

Comment

• Things I like about our Roster

1. The leading returning shot blocker (QB) in the AAC. We like rim protection

2. 7 Seniors which I hope improves our team D and offense

3. 5 players returning that started or was in our rotation

4. 2 players that played in the Dance before.

5. 3 point guards

6. 3 local players in X. Bell, TJ Williiams, and Henry T.

7. 2 excellent High School recruits in Zion and TJ.

8. We might go 10-11 deep on depth chart.

9. Adding Meeks from the KC area

10. A team we hope that can spark local fan interest and get lots more fans in the stands.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        Ever heard of an athletic department promoting their head coach by featuring him in a video ass-first? I wonder why that is?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Good God, I sounded like Cold
                          Unfortunately the days of a Shocker player earning the honor of a CB physical exam, are likely over. Wake me up if we ever reach the NCAA's again. Even then it's meh.

I've got great memories though from when college sports was still pure and success came down to more than just envelopes stuffed with cash. I've got memories of our HOF coach shining the brightest of lights on our proud little university. I've got memories of a team full of GD warriors that left a gym up in Bug'aha smelling like burnt ChicKUn feathers while the entire nation watched.

I'm so thankful for Gregg Marshall, Dr. Bardo, and all my wonderful memories.

Comment

Someone that, say, is a stretch 4-5 type, maybe in the 7'2" range, nimble with great footwork but a strong core and lower center of gravity that prevents him from being pushed around. Rim protector, great FT shooter and looking to be an aeronautical engineer. Elite leaper.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Taylor's Meeks story:
                              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Unfortunately the days of a Shocker player earning the honor of a CB physical exam, are likely over. Wake me up if we ever reach the NCAA's again. Even then it's meh.

I've got great memories though from when college sports was still pure and success came down to more than just envelopes stuffed with cash. I've got memories of our HOF coach shining the brightest of lights on our proud little university. I've got memories of a team full of GD warriors that left a gym up in Bug'aha smelling like burnt ChicKUn feathers while the entire nation watched.

I'm so thankful for Gregg Marshall, Dr. Bardo, and all my wonderful memories.

I thought you were done with this months ago.

By all means please stop posting and visiting a forum dedicated to this **** you don’t care about.

Comment

Working...
                                X