As of Mid-May 2024 --- Roster has been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
    At this time last year, Pohto and Bell were the only 2 guys on the team who had played in a game together. I hoped Rogers could be good, but didn’t expect anything at all out of Ballard who had been hurt most of the year and Bell had had a miserable season. The only transfer coming in with good numbers was Germany. Beverly, Cortes and DeGray were coming from major conference schools where they were minor role players. Ridgnal played sporadically at Missouri State. Cortes wasn’t even practicing and DeGray was expected to sit out. Compared to what I was expecting, I think the players and coaches did very well when you consider the starting point.

This year WSU has 5 rotation players coming back who played 120 minutes per game who averaged 40 points, 23.5 rebounds and 8.5 assists. I think it is a positive to have experience returning at each position. It should make it easier to blend the new players in. If the returners can improve in small ways across the board, it will make the team much better.

The new players are all experienced players who have played a lot of minutes. Washington and McGinnis are stepping up to a higher level of competition. Hill should be able to step right in with his reported ability to defend and take care of the ball, but I think Cortes is going to pick up where he left off and be a big contributor this year. Maybe we could actually have 2 point guards on the floor at the same time. McGinnis has been a better shooter than Bell and Beverly, but they are better rebounders and play makers. McGinnis average .9 assists and 1.3 turnovers last year. The good thing is he doesn’t turn it over much considering that he played 30 minutes per game. If he can make shots and keep the ball moving, I can live with that. Meeks needs to shake off the rust and jump right in too. WSU needs his 3 point shooting and to do what he did at San Francisco. If Washington can continue his steady improvement and adjust to playing against more size and athleticism than he did on a game to game basis at St. Peter’s, he could raise WSU’s ceiling greatly. He doesn’t need to average 16 a game like he did last year, but double figures and 6 or 7 rebounds would be nice.
    I agree with most of this, but for this comment

"think the players and coaches did very well when you consider the starting point."

For Shocker basketball, there is NO starting point that justifies being a Wednesday team and saying they "did very well". Last year was really bad.

That said, like you pointed out, the expectations are much higher this year. Not just higher than last year, but back to a normal level of Shocker basketball expectations (postseasons, NIT or NCAA and Top 4 AAC finish)

Comment

• Now that the roster is set my biggest wish is that the fans show up this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Stud status is reserved for all conference players. Maybe he gets there this season. Frankamp fits the definition.
        QB would start for every team in our conference. He looks like a stud to me. Using your logic FVV and Baker would not have been studs since they weren't all conference their first year playing for us. I'm just thrilled that HCPM was able to keep him with the way the world works now.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Corey Washington was 1st team all-conference in the MAAC

Comment

• It would be nice if Paul S. Interviewed each player again on a podcast as he did several Seasons ago into the summer after they scrimmad much of the summer. Last Season Colby R. And Paul Mills did a podcast that also was enjoyable. Hoping this happens again to draw interest with so many new players this Season.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Bottom line I'm a wait and see fan. Not buying into the STUDS claim of new recruits. Simply believe it sets up unrealistic expectations. I'm definitely more optimistic than a year ago or even at the end of the season. I suppose that is an outlandish viewpoint on here lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                Bottom line I'm a wait and see fan. Not buying into the STUDS claim of new recruits. Simply believe it sets up unrealistic expectations. I'm definitely more optimistic than a year ago or even at the end of the season. I suppose that is an outlandish viewpoint on here lately.
                I think we probably do have a couple studs coming. Hill and Washington, most likely. That said, many were touting Germany as a stud last summer and we all saw how that worked out.

To the counter point, Ridgnal was a WTF signing and ended up being pretty great. So yea .. wait and see ha

Comment

• Shockers Snag Kansas Native Zane Meeks

"Zane is known for his ability to shoot," Mills said. "However, the area of his game that stood out to our staff was his ability to defensive rebound. He has been able to provide a significant presence, during every stop of his career, as a very good defensive rebounder. He also provides a shooting dimension to our team, from the frontcourt, that will allow us to utilize his skill set through a variety of offensive schemes. I'm glad this Kansas native has chosen to play his final year with the Shockers."

Meeks was limited to just five games in a Sun Devil uniform due to an ankle injury that sidelined him for the season.

As a true freshman at Nevada, Meeks appeared in 31 games, averaging 6.4 points and 3.7 rebounds, while shooting 36.4 percent (40-for-110) from beyond the arc. His numbers jumped to 9.0 points and 5.9 rebounds as a sophomore for the Wolf Pack, but was limited to 18 games due to an injury that cut his season short.

Hopefully, Zane stays healthy as a Shocker.

Comment

• Taylor's story on AJ McGinnis:
                    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Per ShockerExpress on Zane Meeks recruiting thread:

Not 100% sure where to put this, but Taylor E says on 92.3 that the newest big is an overseas addition.

Said should be announced soon but WSU is jumping through the international hoops to get him announced.
                      If you want to listen to Taylor's interview go to: http://www.espnwichita.com/podcasts/

Click on The Pulse 6-18-24 Hr 2 and go to the 29 minute mark.

Taylor's segment is about 16 minutes long starting with Shocker baseball, Sydney McKinney and AUX Softball, Shocker men's basketball at about the 35 minute mark starting with Zane Meeks and the addition of an international big man and the talking about the Shocker MBB schedule so far.​​

Comment

• EO has a brother?

Comment

• Comment

• Some Stats for Bosnjak: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/pl...Bosnjak/445557

Comment

• Matej Bosnjak, Basketball Player | Proballers

Comment

Working...
                              X