Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I also noted from here that HCPM said AJ McGinnis is entering his last year of college. I'm always fuzzy on non-medical redshirt rules but I thought his 2022 season wouldn't count because he only appeared in 7 games.

Comment

I also noted from here that HCPM said AJ McGinnis is entering his last year of college. I'm always fuzzy on non-medical redshirt rules but I thought his 2022 season wouldn't count because he only appeared in 7 games.
      non-medical redshirt requires 0 minutes played in MBB. I thought he would qualify for a Medical redshirt though as I thought he was injured and didn't play in more than 30% of the games. He has played 3 full years already, but i can't remember if his freshman year was the free COVID year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

non-medical redshirt requires 0 minutes played in MBB. I thought he would qualify for a Medical redshirt though as I thought he was injured and didn't play in more than 30% of the games. He has played 3 full years already, but i can't remember if his freshman year was the free COVID year.
        Freshman year was the Covid free year so all good there. Appreciate the clarification on the redshirt scenarios!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Taylor Eldridge’s article seemed to suggest that we’re getting creative with it. So maybe it could be an actual contributor instead of just someone there for practice?
          I’m going to take a somewhat educated guess that we’re in the 500-600K, or a bit higher, in the NIL budget for MBB.

I would like to think there’s enough money there that you could be somewhat correct.

Someone who could be a lower level D 1 guy. Perhaps an in-state kid to further the discount? If you can get the kid 25-35K, after school is paid for, he is still above what a lot of guys in conferences below ours are going to get?

Particularly if we’re really just needing a depth piece.

Comment

While I want to believe that .. nothing in our recent history suggest our NIL position is enough to get a contributor level big for walk on position.
            This is a little mind boggling to me but Kevin Saal, for all he has accomplished, has only been at WSU for 2 years. The first year is a throw away year from an NIL perspective because he spent it scrambling and trying to get a process in place and only started assisting collectives to build the coffers. That means at best we only have one year of "recent history" of seeing NIL at work at WSU and that was under two new coaches in the two marquee programs at WSU.

This is the first complete year we have "full" NIL coffers (for whatever that means) AND established coaches to navigate direction of spending the NIL.

So IMO we don't really have any recent history in terms of NIL to speak of.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:
              • Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
              • Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season
              • Not participate in more than 30% of the season's games
              The athlete does have to apply for a medical redshirt.

He actually played in 8 games with Cincinnati in the 2021-22 season. His Cincy bio says he suffered an ankle injury in November and illness (Covid?) in January to miss other games.

He played in the 1st (11/09/21) and 3rd (11/16/21) games and then did not play again until the 10th game of the season on 12/11/21 presumably due to the ankle injury.

He than played in the next 4 games closing that stretch on 01/01/2022 against Tulane although he was not play a lot. He only played 3 minutes against Tulane.

He did not play again, missing 4 games, until 01/20/22 against Tulsa and he only played 2 minutes in that game. That was his final appearance of the year. I did find that he missed the 4 games before the Tulsa game due to an undisclosed injury. I assume that was the illness memtioned in his Cincy bio. I do know that the Tulsa game was the 19th game of the season. Cincy played a total of 33 games that year which would put the Tulsa game in the 2nd half of the season.

So I am not sure he suffered a "season ending" injury or Illness. The sprained ankle obviously wasn't. He clearly was not a key component of that Cincy team.

Chances are he simply did not meat the requirements for a medical redshirt. If that was the case then appearance in 1 game, let alone 8 games burns a year of eligibility unless he qualified for some other kind of a hardship waiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

This is a little mind boggling to me but Kevin Saal, for all he has accomplished, has only been at WSU for 2 years. The first year is a throw away year from an NIL perspective because he spent it scrambling and trying to get a process in place and only started assisting collectives to build the coffers. That means at best we only have one year of "recent history" of seeing NIL at work at WSU and that was under two new coaches in the two marquee programs at WSU.

This is the first complete year we have "full" NIL coffers (for whatever that means) AND established coaches to navigate direction of spending the NIL.

So IMO we don't really have any recent history in terms of NIL to speak of.
                Yea, i agree with all that. Was trying to figure out how to word my thoughts. I think we've recently (as in this year) seen us lose SCHOLARSHIP players for potentially NIL reasons. So just felt weird to expect our NIL to pull a contributor level walk-on (i.e. someone that could probably get a scholarship elsewhere)

Comment

• I heard that Evan Wessel was giving up his scholarship and becoming a walk on so Mills could recruit two bigs to fill out the roster.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    I heard that Evan Wessel was giving up his scholarship and becoming a walk on so Mills could recruit two bigs to fill out the roster.
                    So HCPM doesn’t know how to count to 13?

78-65

Comment

Yea, i agree with all that. Was trying to figure out how to word my thoughts. I think we've recently (as in this year) seen us lose SCHOLARSHIP players for potentially NIL reasons. So just felt weird to expect our NIL to pull a contributor level walk-on (i.e. someone that could probably get a scholarship elsewhere)
                      Wouldn't be surprised if over time you lose one guy for $X but gain a different guy for the same $X, all because players are just looking for p.t. as much as money.

Coaches are just playing a giant game of whack-a-player, seeing which one they can pop on the head long enough to put them on their roster.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• this would open a new 30 day transfer window for all UCONN players. Would be kinda crazy this late in the season

Comment

this would open a new 30 day transfer window for all UCONN players. Would be kinda crazy this late in the season
                          And upset some other players who will/may lose starter status and minutes with the teams they may go to.

Comment

this would open a new 30 day transfer window for all UCONN players. Would be kinda crazy this late in the season
                            Hedging for more money from UCONN? That just seems like a fire/napalm event waiting to happen.

Comment

• Meeks as the walk on makes a lot of sense. He’d pay in state tuition being from Kansas. Extra NIL to cover tuition and board

Comment

• Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
                                Meeks as the walk on makes a lot of sense. He’d pay in state tuition being from Kansas. Extra NIL to cover tuition and board
                                You saying there's another post as good or better than Meeks that gets the scholarship?
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X