Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Will see movement very soon from players as colleges end their seasons.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Will see movement very soon from players as colleges end their seasons.
    Including our own

Comment

Transfer portal officially opens the Monday after selection Sunday and is open for 45 days. So March 18th - May 2nd is the window.

Comment

I'm hoping WSU can retain Ballard and Rogers first and foremost.

Secondarily, I hope they can retain Pohto (if he plays to his potential), Bell (hometown kid, backup role only), Beverly (backup role only unless he learns to shoot), and DeGray (backup role only).

I'm indifferent on Joy and Bamba as we haven't really seen either. Not super keen on Cortes or Abidde since they're later in their college careers and probably won't improve significantly at this stage.

A true roster transformation (which WSU definitely needs) likely requires 2-3 new starters and 1-2 new backups from the portal in addition to Pipkin and Williams coming from HS.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
          I'm hoping WSU can retain Ballard and Rogers first and foremost.

Secondarily, I hope they can retain Pohto (if he plays to his potential), Bell (hometown kid, backup role only), Beverly (backup role only unless he learns to shoot), and DeGray (backup role only).

I'm indifferent on Joy and Bamba as we haven't really seen either. Not super keen on Cortes or Abidde since they're later in their college careers and probably won't improve significantly at this stage.

A true roster transformation (which WSU definitely needs) likely requires 2-3 new starters and 1-2 new backups from the portal in addition to Pipkin and Williams coming from HS.
          Ballard and Rogers I agree. Same with Pohto if its last couple games Pohto. I'm torn with Bell and Beverly. I'd love to have them back as backups. We wont be successful if they are the "starters" again. My biggest fear is what type of locker room issues will happen if you push them to the bench considering they will both be in their last year of eligibility and will have already started the entire previous year. Also, will other recruits want to sign when you have 2 returning senior 30+ MPG "starters"? Last thing we want is to be at the end of next year with "well now that Bell and Beverly are gone we can REALLY start the clock on Mills".

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Ballard and Rogers I agree. Same with Pohto if its last couple games Pohto. I'm torn with Bell and Beverly. I'd love to have them back as backups. We wont be successful if they are the "starters" again. My biggest fear is what type of locker room issues will happen if you push them to the bench considering they will both be in their last year of eligibility and will have already started the entire previous year. Also, will other recruits want to sign when you have 2 returning senior 30+ MPG "starters"? Last thing we want is to be at the end of next year with "well now that Bell and Beverly are gone we can REALLY start the clock on Mills".
            Both Bell and Beverly seem quite mature, and I could definitely see Bell accepting a reduced role in order to stick around his hometown, but it's definitely an interesting discussion. I don't think either should be playing more than 20 minutes a game if WSU is serious about being competitive next year.

Comment

Transfer portal officially opens the Monday after selection Sunday and is open for 45 days. So March 18th - May 2nd is the window.
              But players can announce anytime. Already happening

Comment

Simple solution.

During their post season interviews or whatever they call them, just tell them all that they're more than welcome to come back, but we're going to hit the recruiting trail hard and nothing is guaranteed. The players that give us the best chance to get better than we were this season will earn the most minutes. Nobody is protected. If someone comes in and you can't step up to the challenge, you'll lose minutes. If you come back and step up, you'll earn more minutes. If you're worried about competing for court time, then get the **** out of Wichita because we don't need your pansy asses.

Honestly, this is pretty much how the team should operate anyway. Nothing is given. You earn everything.

We have to get better.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

With the rule changes, would Ballard and Rogers have to sit out a Season if they transfered? In Ballard, we have an elite shot blocker and a solid rim protector. In Roger's we have an excellent 3 point shooter and our best free throw shooter.
                  Hopefully our coaching staff and teammates have developed a close bond, even through the adversity.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

But players can announce anytime. Already happening
                    Agreed just stating when its official and when you can "legally" contact those players

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Both Bell and Beverly seem quite mature, and I could definitely see Bell accepting a reduced role in order to stick around his hometown, but it's definitely an interesting discussion. I don't think either should be playing more than 20 minutes a game if WSU is serious about being competitive next year.
                      Agreed, but that's only half of that. Will players in the portal BELIEVE that those players are going to accept that lower role? We are already at a recruiting disadvantage

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        With the rule changes, would Ballard and Rogers have to sit out a Season if they transfered? In Ballard, we have an elite shot blocker and a solid rim protector. In Roger's we have an excellent 3 point shooter and our best free throw shooter.
                        Hopefully our coaching staff and teammates have developed a close bond, even through the adversity.
                        The current injuction covers players entering the portal this year. So all players this year can play immediately next year if they transfer no matter how many times they have transferred.

Comment

Agreed, but that's only half of that. Will players in the portal BELIEVE that those players are going to accept that lower role? We are already at a recruiting disadvantage
                          I imagine the coaching staff could be transparent with recruits and say "minutes must be earned but we didn't get enough production from either position last season and are looking to improve".

Comment

I can't imagine Abidde staying. He could get some minutes at a low-major program. I could see Cortes leaving. I've seen some of his family complaining on social media about his lack of use, which I'm sure is a topic of discussion amongst his circle. Pohto acts like he doesn't want to be here anymore about 50% of the time.

I could see Rogers getting offered a bag by a bigger program for his shooting. Same with Ballard. Hopefully his relationship with Acy is strong enough to keep him here.

I like DeGray, HB and XB. HB can hoop, and if he develops a better 3 point shot he could be a real weapon. I think a lot of XB's issue this year is that he was forced to play a position he shouldn't be playing. I think both of them are candidates for starting the season on the bench because we've recruited over them though. DeGray is an energy guy. I like his cutting ability. He's made some big plays for us this year. I wouldn't mind keeping the two freshman just to see what they can develop into.

I think roster continuity matters. I don't want an entire off-season of rebuilding like we've had the last four years. With that said, we need clear improvements in multiple areas and I don't mind telling some returners that they'll have lesser roles with the intention of upgrading the starting 5. This year we had a weak bench, so having guys like HB and XB coming off the bench wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

edit: found the 2024-2025 clarification on transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Including our own
                              Our luck would be that everyone is 100% bought in.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X