Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    NCAA, states reach agreement in multiple-transfer athlete lawsuit
    The NCAA and a coalition of states agreed to settle a lawsuit Thursday that would allow athletes to be immediately eligible to play no matter how many times they transfer.

Associated Press
    May 30, 2024, 04:38 PM ET

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The NCAA and a coalition of states suing the organization announced a proposed settlement of a lawsuit Thursday that would allow athletes to be immediately eligible to play no matter how many times they transfer and would offer some who were sidelined an extra year of eligibility.

Under the agreement, a preliminary injunction issued by a federal judge in West Virginia allowing multiple-transfer athletes to compete would be made permanent. Judge John Preston Bailey would still have to sign off on the pact...."

Ugh. 7th year players incoming.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• How about what you are doing to the dreams and opportunities of high school athletes?

Comment

• When does summer school start?

Comment

• Transferring 4+ times can't be good for academics

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
            Transferring 4+ times can't be good for academics
            I think academics still matter. Previously when they talked about this, to be immediately eligible you still had to be on track. So that should still be an issue for someone who wants to have a new experience every ****ing year.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Transferring 4+ times can't be good for academics
              It's not.. the more you transfer the harder it is to keep the progress required to be eligible. It's why a lot of multiple time transfers don't get into their first choice or only have a couple schools to choose from (like previous schools) due to credits not transferring.

Though that's just one lawsuit away from not mattering either

Comment

• Its all about the money now. Academics is secondary at best. This is professional athletics with no salary cap, no contracts exceeding one year, and no guard rails whatsoever.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

• You guys are missing the point. IMO going through 4-5 schools in a handful of years presents too much disruption. We talk about continuity all the time on the playing field. What about in the classroom?

Comment

You guys are missing the point. IMO going through 4-5 schools in a handful of years presents too much disruption. We talk about continuity all the time on the playing field. What about in the classroom?
                    What's a "classroom"?

Comment

• Instructors, players, and the athletic dept. have historically had a very cozy relationship. You have to truly excel at retardation to not finish with some kind of a degree as a 4-year D1 athlete.

Comment

• Believe me when I tell you there are borderline functional illiterates that are getting degrees, at least from WSU (and I have NO doubt many, many other schools, if not every school).

It's beyond disappointing when someone who is actually learning something has, say, a 3.50 well earned GPA and a student athlete has the same GPA but cannot compose the most basic sentences. Remember, JWalton transferred in good standing (and may have even graduated from WSU). He doesn't have a mastery of the three Rs much less is he capable of the most rudimentary cogent thought.

I recently, purely by chance, came across a written correspondence from a student athlete that you would expect would be quite intelligent. I would have failed 9th grade English had I turned in something that contained that many grammatical errors and was so poorly thought out. This person recently graduated. FYI neither basketball, nor baseball. It's just terribly disappointing, for the student athlete, for academia, for the students that are actually earning the grades and degrees, and for those of us that are supporting the programs so that young people, many of whom might not otherwise have the opportunity to obtain a secondary education, can take advantage of their athletic competence to create a better life for themselves and perhaps their families.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Believe me when I tell you there are borderline functional illiterates that are getting degrees, at least from WSU (and I have NO doubt many, many other schools, if not every school). It's beyond disappointing...

and...

and...
                          here is to "C" Average Students, of which I proudly wear...

Q: What do you call a student who graduates from Medical School with a "C" Average?

A: Doctor.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I would have failed 9th grade English had I turned in something that contained that many grammatical errors and was so poorly thought out. This person recently graduated. FYI neither basketball, nor baseball.
                            I just KNEW our women's bowling program was academically dumpster diving for hillbilly ringers!!1! NO WAY we keep winning National Championships with bowlers that have to be bothered with "education". Thanks for confirming!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I had a buddy that actually asked his surgeon where he ranked in his graduating class. The same guy after the same surgeon asked him How he was doing as he was lying on the table replied "To hell with how I feel I want to know how you feel. I hope you have your "A" game going right now. Everything went well and he woke up with all appendages.

Comment

• If you finish near the bottom of your law school you’re on track to be President, so there’s that.

Comment

Working...
                                X