Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone forgot to give Pat Kelsey the memo that he should be vetting real estate agents and scheduling a time at the DMV instead of recruiting during his first day on the job.
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
      I often wonder if the folks on this fine fan forum recognize that going after NIL-motivated players means that most likely they are here for a year and then move on to the next payday. There are a lot of complaints about lack of loyalty within the current NIL environment and, while I understand the dynamics of NIL these days in the NCAA (and am contributing in a very small way), I’m not necessarily about throwing money at someone who is gone in a year. Besides, I think HCPM can find athletes who can contribute and who are looking for minutes and development and are willing to stick around but aren’t going to require much in the way of NIL dollars. But to date, there hasn’t been a lot of commitments and I think these kids today are just missing out on opportunity because history has shown that those who enter the portal do so at the risk of a free education. But what do I know, I’m old.
      I think where it settles is that the constant contenders will have a core of players that do stay multiple years supplemented with 1-2 "hired guns" each year

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

What do you say about a coach that couldn't even recruit a player that other coaches wanted to poach?
        I think other AAC teams are using their NIL budgets to pay some WSU players to stay.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
          I often wonder if the folks on this fine fan forum recognize that going after NIL-motivated players means that most likely they are here for a year and then move on to the next payday. There are a lot of complaints about lack of loyalty within the current NIL environment and, while I understand the dynamics of NIL these days in the NCAA (and am contributing in a very small way), I’m not necessarily about throwing money at someone who is gone in a year. Besides, I think HCPM can find athletes who can contribute and who are looking for minutes and development and are willing to stick around but aren’t going to require much in the way of NIL dollars. But to date, there hasn’t been a lot of commitments and I think these kids today are just missing out on opportunity because history has shown that those who enter the portal do so at the risk of a free education. But what do I know, I’m old.
          I don't disagree. While NIL may be on their minds in most cases, I too believe that some lesser quality players are looking for development, and some better players are looking for more exposure at a bigger school or more playing time. But I also believe all of them would like to draw $2-3K/ month on top of their scholarship, room and board. And since they like that idea, it will be another factor to consider along with countless other considerations when choosing a destination.
          every kid will weight their considerations differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
            https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...28b2555ff.html

Someone forgot to give Pat Kelsey the memo that he should be vetting real estate agents and scheduling a time at the DMV instead of recruiting during his first day on the job.
            What about all the other coaches that are newly hired? I am guessing this is what happens EVERY time a coach gets hired? So let's see all the amazing players every coach has brought in on their 2nd day on the job.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Gives us a real PG, maybe AllConference level.

Comment

Someone forgot to give Pat Kelsey the memo that he should be vetting real estate agents and scheduling a time at the DMV instead of recruiting during his first day on the job.
                You've got to be kidding. This kid played for him at Charleston. Didn't need to establish a relationship because he already had one. Probably even discussed it with the kid prior to being offered the job at Louisville. "Hey if I get this job, would you be interested in going to Louisville?"
                But I'll give you credit for being a top notch smart ass.

Oh wait.....multitasking. so that probably didn't happen because Louisville AD conducted coaching search, interviews and hire all at the same date and time. So when could the new coach have talked to the kid between interview and hire? Maybe he had the kid on the phone at the same time he was interviewing and being hired at the same time.

Truly a twilight zone!
                Last edited by Atxshoxfan; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

The headline probably would have been more accurate if it was :

"Louisville NIL hands coach their first recruit on new coach's first day on job"

Edit: Oops, didn't realize the coach brought the player with him from his previous school. I still think NIL was heavily involved and probably arranged before the coach was hired. Nothing to see here. Just routine tampering and poaching.
                  Last edited by Aargh; 4 weeks ago.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Annual Transfers
                    Year # of Notes:
                    2019 956
                    2020 965
                    2021 1,652
                    2022 1,647
                    2023 1,716
                    2024 349 as of 1:30pm 03/18/2024
                    2024 856 as of 11:30am 03/25/2024​
                    2024 1,223 as of 11:30am 04/01/2024​
                    Source: ​https://verbalcommits.com/

Comment

Not in the budget, had to use the NIL funds for moving expenses first ... you know .. priorities...
                      "Oh but I am really rooting for Mills and I want him to be successful..."

image.png

Comment

Well when NIL is not an issue at school like Louisville, anything is possible - even recruiting when you are standing in the DMV line.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

"Oh but I am really rooting for Mills and I want him to be successful..."

image.png
                          I'm sorry you don't understand sarcasm

Comment

• Rubin Jones and Aaron Scott from North Texas both in the portal. Hysier Miller in the portal from Temple.

South Florida and UAB might be the only AAC teams without major roster turnover this offseason.

Comment

• 1238 as of 2 pm

Comment

I'm sorry
                                At least you got this part of your post correct...

Comment

Working...
                                X