Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Not sure I agree. Top 25 programs are not waiting on Johnny Paycheck to steer the ship.
    Who doesn’t have an established NIL?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

65 as of today.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Who doesn’t have an established NIL?
        Not sure what you're asking but currently there is no indication we have any semblance of a competitive NIL kitty.

My point is lacking any competent leadership, knowledge or will, it's not the fanbase's fault for the current state of our collectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

If you believe that the good players haven't already heard from and talked to coaches or agents from other teams..... Well, you may want to rethink that.

I couldn't care less wether it's portal recruits or solid high school recruits, relationships have to be built over time.
          THIS!

Bill Self and every other coach has sent out "feelers" to every player they have an eye on. The free agency is here. People thinking coaches haven't already started relationships with other players are completely naive.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Not sure what you're asking but currently there is no indication we have any semblance of a competitive NIL kitty.

My point is lacking any competent leadership, knowledge or will, it's not the fanbase's fault for the current state of our collectives.
            Who do you think funds the collectives?

I said we sat on our thumbs while other fans were making competent collectives and funding them, making it easier for coaches to get in the conversation with top recruits. You disagreed, and said we don’t have a competent NIL, and said it’s not the fan bases fault there’s no money in the NIL.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Who do you think funds the collectives?

I said we sat on our thumbs while other fans were making competent collectives and funding them, making it easier for coaches to get in the conversation with top recruits. You disagreed, and said we don’t have a competent NIL, and said it’s not the fan bases fault there’s no money in the NIL.
              Millionaires fund top 25 programs. The same ilk that funded GM's top 10 salary and private jets.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Obviously, I'm having a "dense" moment, so bear with me.

1) Basketball players for Dartmouth were/are going to unionize (I assume as a team).

2) Some show up in the portal. What does unionizing as a team at Dartmouth have to do with going in the portal (assuming to play elsewhere)?
                It looks like all three Dartmouth transfers are grad transfers. Grad students arent permitted to play in the Ivy League so these players must enter the portal to use their final year of eligibility

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post

It looks like all three Dartmouth transfers are grad transfers. Grad students arent permitted to play in the Ivy League so these players must enter the portal to use their final year of eligibility
                  Thanks, that explains it….

Comment

Millionaires fund top 25 programs. The same ilk that funded GM's top 10 salary and private jets.
                    lol. You should look into top NIL collectives before talking about it.

Comment

Listing of all NIL Collectives & Revenue by School (nil-ncaa.com)

Comment

Most of that is made up data. They even say they just use a formula to figure it out. They list us a having 2 million in collective.

Edit: I guess they are saying we should have 2 million based on historical support Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post

I remember when the grad transfer thing first surfaced, Mike Kennedy was talking to GM about the absurdity of an Ivy Leaguer transferring to Baylor (I think), thinking what could you possibly study at Baylor that you can’t get in an Ivy League school. Gregg pointed out this exact rule, which made it make more sense.
                          78-65

Comment

lol. You should look into top NIL collectives before talking about it.
                            Since you know it all grace me with your wisdom.

Here's a simple question for you, who was paying GM?

Comment

Since you know it all grace me with your wisdom.

Here's a simple question for you, who was paying GM?
                              Technically, GM was paid out of the separate athletic organization. Can’t remember the acronym at this time. From what I understand, contracts like that are crowd sourced. They approach the major donors, the donors pledge the amount needed, and then they work out the contract with the coach. Some of the meetings even happen in the office of a donor.

NIL collectives are different. Except for the very largest NIL schools like Texas and Texas A&M, they are made up of donations like Wheat Shock Collective is soliciting. There may be one or two lead donations but they would make up less than half of the total collective. Realistically, they would be around 1/4 or 1/3. The only time a meeting is happening with a donor is when there is a big fish is on the table. Those are not waters we are fishing in (see last paragraph).

I’ll ask you, what millionaire donors are they going to meet with to pay players? Who has been pounding the pavement for donations? They probably have less than $250,000 raised the entire time they’ve been able to. They couldn’t even pay $300/month to one of the top undated NBA rookies to cover the $3000 lease they gave him during the season.

WSU NIL sucks, and it’s that way because fans aren’t giving. Without NIL, they cannot get into 90% of the conversations being held. And those 10% they can get into? Those are the likes of Harlond Beverly and Bijan Cortes who aren’t worth paying in the first place.

Onegreatracer is the only fan I know of who has seen the problem, worked on a solution, and then made the meetings happen. All the rest of us have sat around bitching that the 1% in Wichita aren’t paying their fair share and they should be out there buying us better players because it’s their duty. F that.

Comment

WSU has a small alumni base. Always has. Always will. We're having a tough time getting 5k to the games. If you're counting on the general fanbase to fuel our collectives then I'm here to tell you that is a pipedream. We'll never be competitive if the plan is for the core funds to come from those attending games. Not even with a packed house.

Let's harken back to the good old days of a F4 and perfect season. The national media narrative was that GM was afforded a top 10 salary and private jets due to well healed donors (one in particular). This somewhat unusual financial situation was never about the general fanbase. And what I'm saying is that it's not realistic to think our fanbase is all of the sudden going to start pumping millions into an NIL kitty, especially when attendance is at a historical low and scepticism and apathy are creeping in.

Now I'll grant you one thing, it'll be a tough task getting the big donors to open up their wallets in the current environment. Successful people generally don't throw good money after bad. University leadership has to sell a genuine belief and vision. That simply cannot come from the fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X