Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
    Most recruiting is done by the assistant coaches who build relationships with recruits over several months. Giving them info on those coaches current school and team.
    [X]

Sorry, wrong answer.

We are talking about the portal. You cannot contact or talk to players until they have entered their name into the portal, much less "build relationships" with them "over several months." That's the entire point of what it means to "enter into the portal."

Ninety-nine percent of the players are not in the portal until after the season ends. For some teams, the season ends right around now. For others, it's next weekend. For teams that go into the tournament, it doesn't end until they play their last game. After the team's season ends, the players have conversations with the coach, figure out what their future holds, then thrown their hat in the ring.

So, again, Mills will have a few more weeks this year than he had last year. Maybe a month. Maybe he'll have some percentage increase on a success rate over this last season, but -- and I'm not sure if math is your thing -- a percentage increase over zero is still zero.
    Last edited by rjl; March 9, 2024, 11:04 AM.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Losing Ballard would be like losing Tolle.
      Absolutely love the work QB has put in and the progress he's made. I really hope we get to see him here for the remainder of his career. And by all accounts he is a fine young man and excellent example of what you hope to see in a student athlete.

Please, no offense intended, it's not at all like losing Payton Tolle.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Verbal Commits lists projected portal entries from this season so far at 55, including several from Dartmouth which is interesting.
        Whoa! Potentially, giving up an Ivy education to play ball at a "higher" level which will most likely not get them anywhere in life?!?

Actually, I looked at the team's roster stats and they're kind of peculiar. Leading scorer (by 7 ppg) only plays 26 mpg and 11 players have double digit mpg. Of course, injuries could easily play into that.

Comment

I hope WSU can keep Ballard. I hope they can keep Rogers. I wouldn't be against seeing Beverly next year. Everyone else, thank you. If the bulk of this team is back, I don't think PM will understand what it takes to please the core of the Wichita fanbase. There are demons that need to be exorcised from this season.

Shockers need skilled players. Players that can dribble, pass, catch a pass, not necessarily athletes, but skilled basketball players. Makers, defenders, they need quickness (Samaje would rip our defense for 20 a night easily. ) Guys who want to play hard and not take 7 or 8 games off in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

[X]

Sorry, wrong answer.

We are talking about the portal. You cannot contact or talk to players until they have entered their name into the portal, much less "build relationships" with them "over several months." That's the entire point of what it means to "enter into the portal."

Ninety-nine percent of the players are not in the portal until after the season ends. For some teams, the season ends right around now. For others, it's next weekend. For teams that go into the tournament, it doesn't end until they play their last game. After the team's season ends, the players have conversations with the coach, figure out what their future holds, then thrown their hat in the ring.

So, again, Mills will have a few more weeks this year than he had last year. Maybe a month. Maybe he'll have some percentage increase on a success rate over this last season, but -- and I'm not sure if math is your thing -- a percentage increase over zero is still zero.
            Take a look around. If you want better recruits, donate $100k and buy one yourself. WSU NIL couldn’t buy them last year and is not going to buy them this year. That’s on you, me, and every other fan. Only one of us has tried to do anything about it. The rest of us sat on our thumbs and bitched at what Mills brought in.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              Take a look around. If you want better recruits, donate $100k and buy one yourself. WSU NIL couldn’t buy them last year and is not going to buy them this year. That’s on you, me, and every other fan. Only one of us has tried to do anything about it. The rest of us sat on our thumbs and bitched at what Mills brought in.
              Thats on you, me, every other fan, the AD, and the coach. They have just as much responsibility to drive interest in donating to the program as we do to donating. Interest in donating after 1 year is likely lower than it was when they were hired. So they shoulder some of the blame too.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

It's not like recruiting started on his first day. His first order of business was probably personal stuff along with building a staff. But even that was after he had a couple of days talking to his old team and members of his new team.
                Most recruiting is done by the assistant coaches who build relationships with recruits over several months. Giving them info on those coaches current school and team. Imagine working on a recruit for months, to convince him that he should come to your school, then all of the sudden you take a new job and now have to convince him, that he would now be better off at your new school.
                By the time you create a new staff and start looking at the portal, the top talent is gone or at least down to a couple of schools. Your mostly left looking at kids who are scrambling to find any team that will take them. If I could prove it, I'd bet a ton of money that top kids are already being poached to new teams, but just waiting for the portal period to announce anything.

In other words, your sarcastic post is not real life. I'm not saying it will be better this year or even next year, but.....be real.
                He built a staff of, like, 50

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

[X]

Sorry, wrong answer.

If you believe that the good players haven't already heard from and talked to coaches or agents from other teams..... Well, you may want to rethink that.

I couldn't care less wether it's portal recruits or solid high school recruits, relationships have to be built over time.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Absolutely love the work QB has put in and the progress he's made. I really hope we get to see him here for the remainder of his career. And by all accounts he is a fine young man and excellent example of what you hope to see in a student athlete.

Please, no offense intended, it's not at all like losing Payton Tolle.
                    You're right, the basketball team needs Ballard even worse than the baseball team needed Tolle.

:)

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Whoa! Potentially, giving up an Ivy education to play ball at a "higher" level which will most likely not get them anywhere in life?!?

Actually, I looked at the team's roster stats and they're kind of peculiar. Leading scorer (by 7 ppg) only plays 26 mpg and 11 players have double digit mpg. Of course, injuries could easily play into that.
                      I think this comment is in regards to the Dartmouth team voting to unionize and join the Service employees union.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post

I think this comment is in regards to the Dartmouth team voting to unionize and join the Service employees union.
                        Obviously, I'm having a "dense" moment, so bear with me.

1) Basketball players for Dartmouth were/are going to unionize (I assume as a team).

2) Some show up in the portal. What does unionizing as a team at Dartmouth have to do with going in the portal (assuming to play elsewhere)?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Obviously, I'm having a "dense" moment, so bear with me.

1) Basketball players for Dartmouth were/are going to unionize (I assume as a team).

2) Some show up in the portal. What does unionizing as a team at Dartmouth have to do with going in the portal (assuming to play elsewhere)?
                          Don’t know. That’s what makes it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Not sure I agree. Top 25 programs are not waiting on Johnny Paycheck to steer the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                              I hope WSU can keep Ballard. I hope they can keep Rogers. I wouldn't be against seeing Beverly next year. Everyone else, thank you. If the bulk of this team is back, I don't think PM will understand what it takes to please the core of the Wichita fanbase. There are demons that need to be exorcised from this season.

Shockers need skilled players. Players that can dribble, pass, catch a pass, not necessarily athletes, but skilled basketball players. Makers, defenders, they need quickness (Samaje would rip our defense for 20 a night easily. ) Guys who want to play hard and not take 7 or 8 games off in a row.
                              Agree with everything you said except Beverly. He's the poster boy (albeit not the only one) that is reckless with the ball. A/TO atrocity is sinking the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Agree with everything you said except Beverly. He's the poster boy (albeit not the only one) that is reckless with the ball. A/TO atrocity is sinking the ship.
                                And he's another (one of many) poor FT shooters at .636. Take Rogers, Bell, and Ridngal FTs out and the rest of the team shoots .637. Yuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X