The Carl Peterjohn Rejection of the Game

So many possibilities.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The George Strait “Just Give It Away” play of the game
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

I totally understand why people feel this way, but at the end of the day A LOT of NIL comes from many small contributions from the average fan. It seems like the average fan at WSU has a disdain for NIL. It's not going away, ever, no matter what level we end up at unless it's so low that there's no reason to care. This mindset is going to mean we will never be nationally relevant again. We could have some fine years and win one or two tourney games a decade, and if you're OK with that then cool. I don't like what half the kids are probably going to spend the money on either. But I do like winning, being nationally relevant, and getting back to where we have been (and belong).
        It will probably exist in perpetuity, but I think there will probably be a few big changes.

First, I there will probably be a move for more openness. How much are the players actually getting, and who is it coming from. I would think the big-money donors would support this, as Big Dick Kentucky Donor wants everyone to know he dropped $1mm on a player. It will also cut out a lot of nonsense being reported where mid players are claiming way bigger offers than they are worth.

Second, I think the novelty of it all might wear off for the general public over the next 5 to 10 years, and a lot of the mid-tier or lower players won't get much of a bag. "What's in it for me?" will be the big question everyone will ask. This question will get easier to answer the better a team does, as a general Joe Schmo gets more of an endorphin release donating to something they feel connected to. Unfortunately for Mills, this probably means he's going to have to prime the pump himself without the aid of a ton of NIL funds for the next few years.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Seems like a lot of schools think they can buy their way to championships. To a certain extent, they can, but there's only so many championships to go around. KU had a huge NIL spend this year bringing in Hunter Dickenson and look where they landed in conference. I agree, the novelty will wear off over the next few years. People with money don't like throwing it away. A fair NIL will pay the players a couple grand a month so they can have what they need in college (which is a hell of a lot more than I had) and not break the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            A fair NIL will pay the players a couple grand a month so they can have what they need in college (which is a hell of a lot more than I had) and not break the bank.
            Don't they already get cost of attendance stipends in addition to tuition, room and board? Not sure how much wiggle room is there or what that amounts to at Wichita State. In addition, ADKS was promoting the use of Alston Academic Awards as a tool for retaining student athletes. Although I have not heard much more on that. It's not a huge amount of money but apparently can be made dependent on graduation from the university and paid as a lump sum on graduation or your can pay all or part of it as you go.

Comment

I have no problem with NILs for a specific products actually being publically pitched by the athlete such as the Kansas Beef and KState offensive line example. I also don’t mind finding a way to fund athletes who are on partial scholarship. The reservation I have there is there is no reason to trust the current bunch of shady characters to do that.

While it won’t help basketball directly it would be a good idea to set up an NIL expressly for partial scholarship sports. That would help recruiting tremendously for those sports which in turn may help the athletic department a bit. Oh and get rid of Golf and Tennis and replace them with something that could actually generate revenue.
              Last edited by shoxlax; March 19, 2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I read your typo of "crarpet" as "crapet' and thought we used that aplenty this year.
                We need a sponsor for that. Maybe Shockernet could put something together. We could call it the

play of the game.

I nominate XB for his tackle at the free throw line one game.

I'm sure I could come up with a lot more. ​

Comment

Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

That’s my thoughts. Seems like so many were Marshall buddies. Kind of a scenario where him being around still actually hurts us, keeping us from healing properly with the rich donors. Not saying it’s necessary or something, but if Marshall cared about wichita st, would be nice for him to put in some words and help ease them back.

im sure there’s a lot more to it and im ignorant, so just making an ignorant comment here lol
                  fHCGM has no obligation to help the situation in any way. These people have their money and have their right to support what they choose. The administration has the burden of trying to convince them to come back to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

fHCGM has no obligation to help the situation in any way. These people have their money and have their right to support what they choose. The administration has the burden of trying to convince them to come back to the table.
                    And it is a messy table right now. There are so many unknowns. I would imagine a lot of donors will shy away from giving at previous levels until they see some stability within the program. Wow, what a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

And it is a messy table right now. There are so many unknowns. I would imagine a lot of donors will shy away from giving at previous levels until they see some stability within the program. Wow, what a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                        I think if we brought Golden and Boatright back for a William Wallace style public purification we could probably raise enough money to get us over the hump.

All kidding aside, it's not just the mess Golden and Boatright have left at WSU as their legacy, but also the impact of the massive structural changes that conference realignment, the transfer portal, NIL and the demise of the NCAA as an effective and relevant organization have wrought on collegiate athletics.

I am not sure that ADKS totally understood what he was getting himself into and how difficult of a challenge he would be facing, but I admire him for being willing to face that challenge. How successful he will be remains to be seen. The sad thing is ADKS could do a great job and still not succeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          I have no problem with NILs for a specific products actually being publically pitched by the athlete such as the Kansas Beff and KState offensive line example. I also don’t mind finding a way to fund athletes who are on partial scholarship. The reservation I have there is there is no reason to trust the current bunch of shady characters to do that.

While it won’t help basketball directly it would be a good idea to set up an NIL expressly for partial scholarship sports. That would help recruiting tremendously for those sports which in turn may help the athletic department a bit. Oh and get rid of Golf and Tennis and replace them with something that could actually generate revenue.
                          I've been thinking about that for a while now. Golf made sense when the campus had a golf course right next to the campus. However, those 2 sports and all the travel cost the with no $s coming in (correct me if I'm wrong) and little interest just doesn't seem best. Granted, women's soccer (maybe men's someday) may cost more but should draw more interest, on lookers, and funds.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I've been thinking about that for a while now. Golf made sense when the campus had a golf course right next to the campus. However, those 2 sports and all the travel cost the with no $s coming in (correct me if I'm wrong) and little interest just doesn't seem best. Granted, women's soccer (maybe men's someday) may cost more but should draw more interest, on lookers, and funds.
                            Old men on this board I’m sure will also vote for beach volleyball

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think if we brought Golden and Boatright back for a William Wallace style public purification we could probably raise enough money to get us over the hump.

All kidding aside, it's not just the mess Golden and Boatright have left at WSU as their legacy, but also the impact of the massive structural changes that conference realignment, the transfer portal, NIL and the demise of the NCAA as an effective and relevant organization have wrought on collegiate athletics.

I am not sure that ADKS totally understood what he was getting himself into and how difficult of a challenge he would be facing, but I admire him for being willing to face that challenge. How successful he will be remains to be seen. The sad thing is ADKS could do a great job and still not succeed.

Great analogy. I might add the Covid debacle and how it has impacted college athletics. It's been the Perfect (Unperfect) Storm...

Comment

• Shocker Hockey anyone?
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X