No announcement yet.

A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, dumb question time…and probably a question that has been discussed here multiple times, so I’ll ask for forgiveness now. So, here it is…

Let’s say WSU supporter “XYZ”, has (pick a number) $2500, $5000, $10000…whatever the number is in their budget to annually allocate to WSU athletics.

Let’s say that they were going to put that $ all in one category. Where would the WSU athletic department say they spend it…keep in mind, they can only put it in one place.

A. SASO only
    B. SASO with basketball season tickets
    C. Season tickets to some other WSU sport
    D. NIL

What would WSU say? I’ll go offline and hear your answer.

Comment

Directly to basketball player we need to retain.

Comment

I was chatting with a gentlsspeeman the other day who is very well off and is still pretty tight with Gregg and Kellen Marshall and, as far as I know, a strong financial supporter of the MBB during Marshall's tenure. He may still have his season tickets and making his SASO contributions although I have not asked him about that. I did ask him if him if he makes any contributions to any of the Wichita State NIL options and he said, to quote, "Hell No".

Pretty anecdotal, but I suspect it is a fairly common feeling among those hangs with and socializes with which no doubt includes many of our more deep pocketed boosters (or former boosters) and those feelings may also impact their giveing outside of NIL and perhaps even outside the athletic department.

My sense is ADKS and HCPM have their hands full to try to win back the previous support level of those folks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I was chatting with a gentlsspeeman the other day who is very well off and is still pretty tight with Gregg and Kellen Marshall and, as far as I know, a strong financial supporter of the MBB during Marshall's tenure. He may still have his season tickets and making his SASO contributions although I have not asked him about that. I did ask him if him if he makes any contributions to any of the Wichita State NIL options and he said, to quote, "Hell No".

Pretty anecdotal, but I suspect it is a fairly common feeling among those hangs with and socializes with which no doubt includes many of our more deep pocketed boosters (or former boosters) and those feelings may also impact their giveing outside of NIL and perhaps even outside the athletic department.

My sense is ADKS and HCPM have their hands full to try to win back the previous support level of those folks.
          Well then. WSU will remain irrelevant due to some pissed off rich people lol.

I get it though, their money and their right.

I just need to win the damn lottery and I will fund the comeback my damn self LMAO
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I get giving to SASO. That money is a direct injection to their education. NIL I have a harder time with because a lot of it will go to tattoos and weed.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

People have a right to do whatever they want with their money. And I certainly understand their point - but to me that means they were Gregg Marshall fans and not Wichita State fans.

People that led to those decisions aren’t even around.

We will need money to compete at the level that people expect. There’s no way around that fact at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

People have a right to do whatever they want with their money. And I certainly understand their point - but to me that means they were Gregg Marshall fans and not Wichita State fans.

We will need money to compete at the level that people expect. There’s no way around that fact at all.
                Could be they don't want to contribute to the moronic NIL format, Semi Pro.....

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  I get giving to SASO. That money is a direct injection to their education. NIL I have a harder time with because a lot of it will go to tattoos and weed.
                  That's a fair take. I understand that feeling. I have some similar feelings. Unfortunately it is what it is now.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

That's their right and fine as well. But that also means WSU could continue to struggle. As long as they understand that and don't get too pissed off when they could be helping the direct cause.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That’s my thoughts. Seems like so many were Marshall buddies. Kind of a scenario where him being around still actually hurts us, keeping us from healing properly with the rich donors. Not saying it’s necessary or something, but if Marshall cared about wichita st, would be nice for him to put in some words and help ease them back.

im sure there’s a lot more to it and im ignorant, so just making an ignorant comment here lol

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I totally understand why people feel this way, but at the end of the day A LOT of NIL comes from many small contributions from the average fan. It seems like the average fan at WSU has a disdain for NIL. It's not going away, ever, no matter what level we end up at unless it's so low that there's no reason to care. This mindset is going to mean we will never be nationally relevant again. We could have some fine years and win one or two tourney games a decade, and if you're OK with that then cool. I don't like what half the kids are probably going to spend the money on either. But I do like winning, being nationally relevant, and getting back to where we have been (and belong).
                        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

I totally understand why people feel this way, but at the end of the day A LOT of NIL comes from many small contributions from the average fan. It seems like the average fan at WSU has a disdain for NIL. It's not going away, ever, no matter what level we end up at unless it's so low that there's no reason to care. This mindset is going to mean we will never be nationally relevant again. We could have some fine years and win one or two tourney games a decade, and if you're OK with that then cool. I don't like what half the kids are probably going to spend the money on either. But I do like winning, being nationally relevant, and getting back to where we have been (and belong).
                          I think the only ones who like it are those who crap a million at a time. Ohio, Texas, Georgia and the like. Big football in the top half of the power conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Round up to level up!
                            The Quincy Ballard Slam Dunk Nachos.
                            The Colby Rogers "3" Sliders.
                            I won't name the Turnover...
                            Last edited by shockrah; March 18, 2024, 07:12 PM.
                            Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by shockrah View Post

The Quincy Ballard Slam Dunk Nachos.
                              The Colby Rogers "3" Sliders.
                              I won't name the Turnover...
                              The Jabara Crarpet rugburn play of the game went unused this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

The Jabara Crarpet rugburn play of the game went unused this year.
                                I read your typo of "crarpet" as "crapet' and thought we used that aplenty this year.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X