A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Type of NIL

I've alluded to this a couple of times, but I think it's time to unveil the concept to all of you and gather some feedback.

In talking to Shocker fans and potential NIL donors, the biggest thing that always comes up is transparency - so I've been working on a model that embraces transparency instead of neglecting it and focused on the STUDENT-ATHLETE first.

Presenting Wheatshocker Collective, a new NIL model built for the everyday fan who wants to support their teams.

Wheatshocker Collective | Wichita State NIL

Some highlights of the model and a TL:DR -

FUNDS TRANSPARENCY

Our live tracker shows the share each Men's Basketball player is receiving monthly, updated within one day of all new club memberships.

^ This addresses a huge need of the fanbase and helps you DIRECTLY see the impact of you and your fellow donors instantly. No wondering where your money went or what it's being spent on.

ATHLETE FREEDOM

Wheatshocker Collective will not limit any outside NIL activities and does not take a percentage of NIL money earned outside of the Men's Basketball Club

^ Taking a cut of funds outside of our scope just doesn't make any sense. Exclusivity in NIL is not conductive with helping athletes succeed, rather with making a profit off their rights. This isn't an agency or talent management company.

EQUAL PAYMENT

All MBB student-athletes signed with Wheatshocker Collective receive an equal split of Men's Basketball Club funds.

^ This harkens back to the original purpose of NIL - helping support athletes. Instead of relying on the average fan ponying up big bucks, this is designed to set a reliable baseline for all athletes that compensates them reasonably for what they do for the university, helping EVERYONE.

TL:DR
    The goal of this project is to make direct contributions transparent and have at least 90% going straight to the athletes with as little of a take as possible. It's 100% not-for-profit, although it is registered as an LLC to avoid stepping on the IRS' toes over recent rulings. It is absolutely NOT a competition with Armchair, who is very much needed to put together larger packages and funnel private money. Rather, a more direct opportunity for the common fan. The benefits of behind-the-scenes access and more direct and accessible contact to keep donors engaged is also a huge priority.

THE NEXT STEPS:
    We've got a meeting scheduled with ADKS in mid-March as well as meetings with several NIL Software companies over the coming weeks in order to determine the best fit for cost that takes as little as possible from the athletes. In addition, once all that is in place we'll be looking to sign incoming recruits & those who are sticking around to begin supporting our student-athletes ASAP and prepare for 24-25.

I'd love to hear feedback, thoughts, etc on this before those meetings in order to "take a pulse" on this idea and how Shocker fans feel about it. Industry insiders and college hoops media that I've presented it to have loved it, but at the end of the day the fanbase is the most important part. All criticism is welcome and will be taken appropriately!
    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Brilliant!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Comment

Looks professional...

Wheatshocker Collective | Wichita State NIL

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Does NIL have to be tied to a service other than playing basketball? I thought when Armchair and all the other collectives began to pop-up, students couldn't get paid just for playing basketball, but for like, public appearances and stuff like that. If that's the case, what is the plan for services the players will be partaking in?

I like the idea of seeing how much money has been donated, and then also seeing where that money is going. I think it makes people less hesitant to donate. Do you envision working with companies and businesses in the area, or is that something you see as a place for Armchair?

Have you contacted alumni to get involved? Antoine Carr has tweeted multiple times implying wanting to get involved/begin something like a collective.

Comment

One thought .. potentially a "years of service" style bonus or tiering. Like for each year with the program your percentage increases. Might be difficult to forecast but some incentive for players to want to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
              I'd love to hear feedback, thoughts, etc on this before those meetings in order to "take a pulse" on this idea and how Shocker fans feel about it. Industry insiders and college hoops media that I've presented it to have loved it, but at the end of the day the fanbase is the most important part. All criticism is welcome and will be taken appropriately!
              Really appreciate you taking the initiative with this OGR. I do note that the formatting on the website you linked is a little wonky; it seems like it is not set to fit to the accessing device's window size (should be an easy fix).
              Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; February 29, 2024, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                Does NIL have to be tied to a service other than playing basketball? I thought when Armchair and all the other collectives began to pop-up, students couldn't get paid just for playing basketball, but for like, public appearances and stuff like that. If that's the case, what is the plan for services the players will be partaking in?

I like the idea of seeing how much money has been donated, and then also seeing where that money is going. I think it makes people less hesitant to donate. Do you envision working with companies and businesses in the area, or is that something you see as a place for Armchair?

Have you contacted alumni to get involved? Antoine Carr has tweeted multiple times implying wanting to get involved/begin something like a collective.
                They will likely need to be available for "events" in order for it to fully follow the rules.

Comment

A lot of the services come in with the member benefits - recording behind the scenes videos, giving birthday shoutouts to members, Q&A sessions, member exclusive hangouts etc etc.

I think working with businesses to some extent could definitely fit here but a big thing is not cannibalizing big donors away from Armchair - there is definitely a need in the NIL world to have coffers setup for bigger payments, not just a recurring baseline.

Reaching out to Alumni to bring them on board is certainly part of the plan. The X-Man is certainly on the top of that contact list, as is Antoine!! (sorry for the mixup there for a second, I was looking into contact information for the both of them and had a brain fart lol)
                  Last edited by Onegreatracer; February 29, 2024, 02:09 PM.
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Really appreciate you taking the initiative with this OGR. I do note that the formatting on the website you linked is a little wonky; it seems like it is not set to fit to the accessing device's window size (should be an easy fix).
                    Thanks for the heads up. I made some last minute changes before publishing this AM and forgot to fix the mobile reactive layout. Should be good to go now

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I made some last minute changes before publishing this AM and forgot to fix the mobile reactive layout. Should be good to go now
                      I'm accessing on desktop and there is still a horizontal scroll bar as the page is wider than the screen. I sent you a PM as well.

Comment

I think working with businesses to some extent could definitely fit here but a big thing is not cannibalizing big donors away from Armchair - there is definitely a need in the NIL world to have coffers setup for bigger payments, not just a recurring baseline.
                        Have conversations happened between you and Armchair? I would be interested to know what their donation split is between fan monthly type donations vs business donations. That may not be something that you can answer, but it would be cool to see the two collectives work together formally, knowing each one has a different intention.

Love the idea and will immediately sign up for recurring payments when that's ready to go.

Organizing and running an NIL is a ton of work. Are you doing this by yourself, do you have a team, or are you looking for a team?

Comment

I'm really curious how the meetings go with ADKS and if there is any sort of "protectionism" that comes from Armchair. Realistically some of the funds that are going here would be coming from money that might be budgeted to Armchair. You are obviously looking to capture more with a more transparent and connected approach but I'm really interested in how those meetings go.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm accessing on desktop and there is still a horizontal scroll bar as the page is wider than the screen. I sent you a PM as well.
                            Got it. NOW it should be fixed!

Comment

Have conversations happened between you and Armchair? I would be interested to know what their donation split is between fan monthly type donations vs business donations. That may not be something that you can answer, but it would be cool to see the two collectives work together formally, knowing each one has a different intention.

Love the idea and will immediately sign up for recurring payments when that's ready to go.

Organizing and running an NIL is a ton of work. Are you doing this by yourself, do you have a team, or are you looking for a team?
                              No conversations with Armchair yet. I agree that a together approach would be absolutely phenomenal and is definitely the end goal.

Looking to build a team currently! Have had some great advisors but do not expect nor want them to be full time with this project.

Comment

Working...
                              X