Shocker Madness set For October 25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
    The last "madness" type event if my memory serves me correctly, was the first year Marshall was here. Every year since then, the level of production has gone down. All the way to last year when I don't even think they dimmed the lights for intro's, and it was just one big scrimmage, with the highlight of the night being Orukpe getting 6 fouls in 2 minutes.

I'm totally cool with a dumbed down version, just don't call it "madness." It's just silly.
    I'm also "cool" with the "dumbed down version" and please no more Power 93.9 'Hitman'... that was UNBEARABLE!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The Hitman is horrible. The worst was when they did the red carpet intro thing and the players where apparently completely uninformed that he'd be asking stupid questions at random when they got in. That and all of his nonsense...Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        The Second Clue has been revealed to this year’s Worldwide Premier of the "WSU's 2012-13 Non-Conference Preview"

1. September 18th Clue #1 - Title – “D _ _ _ _ S * _ _ V _R * _ _E” (three words)
        [blank] never die -- don't know what the [blank] is though -- some cute twist you have added to it?

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        2. October 2nd Clue #2 - Introduction Theme Music – Get your Walther PPK, Aston Martin, and Omega Seamaster ready.
        Obviously Bond. James, Bond.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Dreams?

Comment

I thought it was "David's Liver Pie".

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
              Dreams?
              Or "DREAMS NEVER DIE".

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Cold is on point here, in more ways than one.

Seriously though, is it that much to ask for just a decent Madness production? Can we keep the Evansville type stuff out of our athletic department?
                I don't think it will happen with Marshall. I get a vibe that he doesn't really care for the event. His focus is on TEAM and putting effort into hyperbole and putting the players in an unnecessary position for injury aren't high on his priority list as the season approaches.

I would like to see some cheese, but I can wait 'til the dunks and 3-pointers count for real.

--'85.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                  And whatever happened to the Dunk Contest? That was usually pretty entertaining.
                  I don't think we have the guys to put on the most entertaining dunk contest.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a three point contest like at the NBA All Star Game. At least with that, players don't risk injury trying to perform crazy dunks. Plus I'm sure there are many guys on the team that love shooting the three ball.
                  ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                  www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

My money is on Ehimen!!!
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
                      I don't think we have the guys to put on the most entertaining dunk contest.
                      Umm what?

T

...:cool:

Comment

I get that we shouldn't have too much cheese as people have said because all I really want to see is some basketball. I also definitely don't want people doing stuff that could get them hurt.

Here is a quick thought about what a decent Shocker Madness might look like to me. Just make it look kind of like a game. At games, we have music going during the pre-game from either the media table or the band. We have announcements. Then we have the team run out to the fight song and do warm ups. Then we have the intro videos and introduction from the media table for the starters (which could include everyone on the team since there are no starters named yet), and then the scrimmage begins. Have maybe a time out or two just like in a game and throw in something if you really want to like the cheer squad and the shirt cannon or something or a song from the band. At "halftime" maybe get the new president to say hi or something for a minute, have the dance team do something and get back to the game.

It would take very little time and it would be pretty fun to me. It would still be all about the basketball so I can get my fix, and it would at least look like the other areas of the school that have something to do with basketball put an ounce worth of thought or planning into the kickoff event for the season.

Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                          I don't think it will happen with Marshall. I get a vibe that he doesn't really care for the event. His focus is on TEAM and putting effort into hyperbole and putting the players in an unnecessary position for injury aren't high on his priority list as the season approaches.

I would like to see some cheese, but I can wait 'til the dunks and 3-pointers count for real.

--'85.
                          Damn, I'm hungry!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Okay is that just a hot steaming cheese sandwich or is there some subliminal image or message that I am missing?

Comment

I like this statement in an ESPN article and maybe why HCGM does not try real hard on Shocker Madness.

How important is Midnight Madness in recruiting?
                              Telep: It truly depends on the school. For the programs that embrace Midnight Madness and have a fan base that gets into it, they construct the weekend with the idea of showing off their program. Places like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and UNC have always been high-volume visit spots for elite players and, as a result, use the weekend with their top senior and underclassman targets. The rule of thumb should be that if you can sell it to your fan base and they embrace it, the atmosphere will look good. If you try and fake your way through Midnight Madness and it's artificial enthusiasm, don't even try it

Comment

That's a good point. Until we have 10,000 show up to celebrate, we don't need to worry too much. I still like having it organized and professional with a little room for the not over the top kind of stuff, but that has more to do with me hating stuff that looks under planned and bush league. That's all

Comment

Working...
                                X