WHERE IS ARMCHAIR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Alright, need some big corporate donors. With Boeing potentially coming back to town, they are going to need to buy some goodwill. I nice big NIL donation is a good start
    Can you imagine a student trying to insure his private jet lease?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Can you imagine a student trying to insure his private jet lease?
      We aren't worried about that stuff .. just the impression that we are giving them a sweet deal (joking .. but that's how many schools are approaching it i'm sure)

Comment

• Wheat Shock Collective Introduces New General Manager

Wheat Shock Collective, the official collective supporting NIL opportunities for Shocker student-athletes, is thrilled to announce its newly appointed General Manager, Emily Hiebert, signaling a transformation and pivotal phase of growth for the collective.

"I'm beyond excited to lead Wheat Shock Collective and further the collective's mission to empower Shocker student-athletes," Hiebert said. "The importance of NIL in the recruitment and retention of elite championship-level talent cannot be understated. With oversight and guidance from Blueprint Sports, I look forward to ensuring the success of the Wheat Shock Collective and the Wichita State athletic programs. Most of all, I'm thrilled to be back at the heart of Shocker Nation, to serve our student-athletes, and to be around the best fans in the country once again."

As general manager, Hiebert will formalize and spearhead Wheat Shock Collective's strategic vision. Emily's leadership will focus on driving new fundraising and membership growth, developing corporate partnerships, managing the collective's operations and the relationship with the athletic department, and serving as the collective's public face.​

image.png

Emily was born and raised in Newton, Kansas. She played basketball and volleyball all four years at Newton High School. After high school, Emily attended Wichita State University on a volleyball scholarship where she majored in Physical Education and minored in Exercise Science. Emily played volleyball for the Shockers from 2013-2017 and was a Shocker Pizza Hut Hall of Fame Inductee in 2023. Since graduating from WSU, Emily has been teaching Physical Education and Health in the Wichita Public School District.​

Comment

• I wish Emily all the best. If she can be half as successful at this challenge as she was as the quarterback of the Shocker Volleyball team during her time than the Wheat Shock Collective will be in good shape. Unfortunately, she may find that this challenge is a much tougher road than the one she took to the Shocker Hall of Fame.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 20, 2024, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• I like it. Could have done worse with this choice. Much worse.

Congrats and best of luck to Emily!
            78-65

Comment

• This is no reflection on Emily but it seems as if we're still trying to get this figured out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                This is no reflection on Emily but it seems as if we're still trying to get this figured out.
                I'm also a little concerned on what her qualifications are outside of being a Shocker legend. Her education and work experience are all in Phys Ed/Exercise Science. Maybe she has a natural ability to raise funds and do outreach beyond what her experiences seem to be based on the release.

Maybe she comes with some great connections and natural abilities that are perfect for the role. I've never met her so I have no idea what she's like on any personal level. I don't doubt that she's intelligent and a hard worker, but sometimes there's more to it.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Appearances can be deceiving, but the appearance is that the collective has an amateur swimming in a cesspool filled with pros and sharks.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                    This is no reflection on Emily but it seems as if we're still trying to get this figured out.
                    Step One: Wash your hands of the smell of the last regime

Step Two: Hire the right person going forward

Step Three: Be transparent and accountable

Step Four: Use Step Two and Step Three to gain trust

Step Five: Collect from those previously not willing to give

Comment

• Step Six. Know where the skeletons are buried and let people know you know.

Comment

• Seriously though Emily has local roots and was a very successful Division One Athlete. Would people feel better about it if it were Ron Baker or Evan Wessel. Division one athletes must possess certain qualities such as focus and the drive to succeed. They have dedicated their lives to get better each day and to stay on task. They know how to manage their time and waste little of it. One would think that those that chose her for this position would provide guidance and encouragement because it will be a direct reflection on them as well. So I say "Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead" Congratulations Emily with nothing but success ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Seriously though Emily has local roots and was a very successful Division One Athlete. Would people feel better about it if it were Ron Baker or Evan Wessel. Division one athletes must possess certain qualities such as focus and the drive to succeed. They have dedicated their lives to get better each day and to stay on task. They know how to manage their time and waste little of it. One would think that those that chose her for this position would provide guidance and encouragement because it will be a direct reflection on them as well. So I say "Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead" Congratulations Emily with nothing but success ahead.
                          The difference would be that Baker has a degree in Finance I believe and Wessel in Management and has been working in finance. I'm not sure what Baker has been doing since retiring from the NBA. Either of those would make me feel a little better than a degree in Exercise Science.

As I said before, I don't doubt Emily when it comes to drive or intelligence. My concern is her work and educational history don't point to this being the perfect fit and I think it's a legit concern.

Of the three, Wessel would be the best due to the Management degree and working in finance. Both of those translate on some level to what's needed.

I do also realize that Emily will have help from whatever the company is that is kind of the overseer of the NIL now. So she's not totally on her own in that regard. We'll see how it plays out.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The difference would be that Baker has a degree in Finance I believe and Wessel in Management and has been working in finance. I'm not sure what Baker has been doing since retiring from the NBA. Either of those would make me feel a little better than a degree in Exercise Science.

As I said before, I don't doubt Emily when it comes to drive or intelligence. My concern is her work and educational history don't point to this being the perfect fit and I think it's a legit concern.

Of the three, Wessel would be the best due to the Management degree and working in finance. Both of those translate on some level to what's needed.

I do also realize that Emily will have help from whatever the company is that is kind of the overseer of the NIL now. So she's not totally on her own in that regard. We'll see how it plays out.
                            When it comes to sales, which this job is, it's about personality, not what your major was. Plenty of finance guys out there that can't talk to brick wall or pick up a phone and set up a meeting. Sales is about personality and persistence. I'm guessing this is what she has.

Comment

• Comment

• Lots to be excited and happy about. Been a great turnaround
                                Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Working...
                                X