WHERE IS ARMCHAIR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    Lawsuits created the NIL, the NCAA merely tried to set up a system to oversee student's monetizing their name. I don't know how anyone could manage the mess. The transfer portal is all on the NCAA, what a joke. When Dr Pepper is running a transfer portal ad, you know the system is garbage.

The one good thing the NIL does, is it gives student athletes a choice between leaving early in hopes of getting a pro gig, or staying in school and getting a degree. The NIL will have little effect on the top tier of players, but projected late first and second round kids can now opt to stay in school, probably make similar or more money than Europe or G League, and get a degree.
    The NCAA (at the least the member schools) created the lawsuits. They took billion dollar TV contracts, put kids into 100k seat stadiums, started forcing cross-country travel, etc., and told the athletes not only were they not going to share in the revenue, they were prohibited from generating their own revenue because "amateurism" is sacred. Not to worry, though, because you're getting free education. Then they added days to the tournament, compulsory media availability, and a load of other stuff that meant they often weren't around to get that "free education."

No person with an IQ over 70 and more than three weeks of life experience would expect that making billions on free labor is going to go on in perpituity without some affected person mounting a serious challenge. They will never get that genie back in the bottle now, and they knew it was going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      One more comment about the NIL. There are numerous individuals in 'Wichita' with university connections that can take care of any NIL woes with 'pocket change'... many more than Chuck.
      But will they?
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by tw805 View Post

The NCAA (at the least the member schools) created the lawsuits. They took billion dollar TV contracts, put kids into 100k seat stadiums, started forcing cross-country travel, etc., and told the athletes not only were they not going to share in the revenue, they were prohibited from generating their own revenue because "amateurism" is sacred. Not to worry, though, because you're getting free education. Then they added days to the tournament, compulsory media availability, and a load of other stuff that meant they often weren't around to get that "free education."

No person with an IQ over 70 and more than three weeks of life experience would expect that making billions on free labor is going to go on in perpituity without some affected person mounting a serious challenge. They will never get that genie back in the bottle now, and they knew it was going to happen.
        Where do those billions of dollars from the TV contracts go? NCAA salaries?
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

exactly. So easy to look at top line revenues and not consider the money it takes to run these events, the distribution of profits and all the sports that have to be subsidized by the one or 2 profitable sports. At the end of the day, the whole thing will probably collapse and ,most college sports will dissolve. It’s not sustainable in the long term. Meanwhile, let the kids grab as much money as they can or work jobs to support their monetary needs, if that was the real issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

exactly. So easy to look at top line revenues and not consider the money it takes to run these events, the distribution of profits and all the sports that have to be subsidized by the one or 2 profitable sports. At the end of the day, the whole thing will probably collapse and ,most college sports will dissolve. It’s not sustainable in the long term. Meanwhile, let the kids grab as much money as they can or work jobs to support their monetary needs, if that was the real issue.
            I mean, i think that's a fair challenge... but also a fair challenge when you have schools like Texas A&M paying a coach 75 million dollars to not coach there anymore. There are problems throughout but we as a society tend to swing to extremes

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

The most visible place is the coaching staff, but there are plenty of fat cats in the NCAA institution as well. Take a look at a P5 football coaching staff and you'll be amazed at the # of names listed. Is Teddy Bruschi really necessary as a head coaches consultant at ASU.

Stickboy46 also alluded to it with the amount that goes to coaches that aren't retained. Take the combined amount WSU is paying IB and 3G and redistribute it to the players and they would be making more than most members of the fanbase.

Ask yourself, does it make sense for a coach to be making more than a tenured professor if it's really only about giving talented young adults an avenue to an education.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I mean, i think that's a fair challenge... but also a fair challenge when you have schools like Texas A&M paying a coach 75 million dollars to not coach there anymore. There are problems throughout but we as a society tend to swing to extremes
                Yes, the entire system is jacked up. A University can operate as a “non-profit” yet rake in millions and millions in NCAA revenue as well as tens to hundreds of millions a year in donations. Enough to pay its “most important” employees more than many Fortune 500 CEOs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Lesson learned: when you find out someone has done things that would allow them to be fired for cause, you either fire them, or make sure the skeletons don't get out of the closet.
                  I've kicked this around in my head over the last few weeks. If WSU had a time machine, the solution would probably have been to suspend Marshall for some games after the incidents in question.

I think the issue was that Marshall was bigger than the athletic department and he knew it. The athletic department couldn't control Marshall, and when the news got out it couldn't control the narrative.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I've kicked this around in my head over the last few weeks. If WSU had a time machine, the solution would probably have been to suspend Marshall for some games after the incidents in question.

I think the issue was that Marshall was bigger than the athletic department and he knew it. The athletic department couldn't control Marshall, and when the news got out it couldn't control the narrative.
                    Nope, take it back in time to before Marshall did stuff to get canned. That would then have taken care of the problems.

Comment

• Just curious what posters on this fine forum have contributed to Armchair. I'm not asking for specifics. I have not. I would be happy to - I am just waiting to be asked and also would like a few details.

What is the #1 reason people contribute to causes? THEY ARE ASKED! All of the St. Jude commercials are just that, of course. They are asking for help and they have a great story.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                        Just curious what posters on this fine forum have contributed to Armchair. I'm not asking for specifics. I have not. I would be happy to - I am just waiting to be asked and also would like a few details.

What is the #1 reason people contribute to causes? THEY ARE ASKED! All of the St. Jude commercials are just that, of course. They are asking for help and they have a great story.
                        I’ve heard the reverse truism: the top reason people don’t give is that they aren’t asked. Another Fundraising 101 tidbit.
                        78-65

Comment

Just curious what posters on this fine forum have contributed to Armchair. I'm not asking for specifics. I have not. I would be happy to - I am just waiting to be asked and also would like a few details.

I lost a bet on here and donated 50. Received an email for tax purposes and have yet to hear anything more.

Comment

Decent amount previously, nothing since I stopped feeling appreciated for it (not in a snobbish, personal attention/phone call way, but in a weekly newsletter or even monthly way)
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• So when and who is going to tell ACS that this relationship just isn't working and we should start seeing other people?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerlady View Post
                                So when and who is going to tell ACS that this relationship just isn't working and we should start seeing other people?
                                For all that have participated with ACS:

1. If you feel underappreciated, let them know and give them ideas on what you would like to see from them.

2. If you haven't participated with them, let them know you are planning on it, but want to know what kinds of interactions between the donor / ACS / Athletic Dept there are as this is important to you.

3. If no reply after several weeks, let ADKS know why you're stopping or not participating.

Comment

Working...
                                X