No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHCGGM recruited several outstanding JUCO players that were very successful players for WSU. Anybody know if PM recruited any JUCO players at ORU? One of the primary reasons FHCGGM was so good at signing terrific JUCO players here, was a couple of our best assistant coaches had experience and connections in JUCO basketball. I have seen several comments and I wholeheartedly concur that we need a JUCO point guard similar to Ragland or Hanna to really jump start our recruiting this spring. I not sure any of our current assistants or PM have JUCO connections. Please someone smarter than me, let us know if PM has a history with JUCO point guards.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
      FHCGGM recruited several outstanding JUCO players that were very successful players for WSU. Anybody know if PM recruited any JUCO players at ORU? One of the primary reasons FHCGGM was so good at signing terrific JUCO players here, was a couple of our best assistant coaches had experience and connections in JUCO basketball. I have seen several comments and I wholeheartedly concur that we need a JUCO point guard similar to Ragland or Hanna to really jump start our recruiting this spring. I not sure any of our current assistants or PM have JUCO connections. Please someone smarter than me, let us know if PM has a history with JUCO point guards.
      Not sure about his Juco connections or history. I would guess it’s not much. ORU doesn’t seem like a place to draw many Juco kids. But I would guess that this staff will look anywhere and everywhere to find upgrades for this roster.

Oh yeah, 3G had some great JUCO coaches. There was a 4 year stretch where we had at least 2 of Jans/Heiar/Forbes (one season had all three of them). I don’t care what you say. I’d put that group of assistants over any collection you could come up with across the country. All three were great at skill development and pretty damn good recruiting evaluators too.

Fun fact: Had the NMSU opportunity not happened, Heiar was set to join IB’s staff for 22-23 season.

78-65

Comment

FHCGGM recruited several outstanding JUCO players that were very successful players for WSU. Anybody know if PM recruited any JUCO players at ORU? One of the primary reasons FHCGGM was so good at signing terrific JUCO players here, was a couple of our best assistant coaches had experience and connections in JUCO basketball. I have seen several comments and I wholeheartedly concur that we need a JUCO point guard similar to Ragland or Hanna to really jump start our recruiting this spring. I not sure any of our current assistants or PM have JUCO connections. Please someone smarter than me, let us know if PM has a history with JUCO point guards.
        In the future, we should never leave off Porter from that list.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Ralph Miller may have been a great coach but his teams were middling performers for the most part.
          Even John Wooden had middling years. Just not any after 1963 (or so). Ralph wasn't birthed (coaching wise) with a silver spoon in his mouth, and never coached at a "blue blood" program, and once he got it going, he was pretty consistent. Consistency is the "calling card" of most HOF coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Hell, I'd even go so far as to say I did not mind him with Bruce Haertl on the television broadcast.

That duo (and a little help from Tekele) brought us this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnB...thehoneybadass
            Do you think the ref didn't call a foul there because he just felt bad for ISUr and that the dunk was humiliating enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Do you think the ref didn't call a foul there because he just felt bad for ISUr and that the dunk was humiliating enough?
              This is the TC dunk at home vs ISURed that I saw in person. He should have had a cape on for this one.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

This is the TC dunk at home vs ISURed that I saw in person. He should have had a cape on for this one.

Good ol’ REDBIRD!
                78-65

Comment

• man, wichita state must have a real history of crap athletic directors when it comes to hiring coaches. the biggest city in arguably the biggest basketball state (north carolina, kansas, kentucky, indiana). get a decent coach in here and they are set.

next time, do not hire a coach that had a breakthrough season in a small conference (thompson/rice, mills/oru). hire a coach that has dominated a small conference for at least four years (marshall/winthrop, devries/drake). there's your tip for the day, kevin saal.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                    man, wichita state must have a real history of crap athletic directors when it comes to hiring coaches. the biggest city in arguably the biggest basketball state (north carolina, kansas, kentucky, indiana). get a decent coach in here and they are set.

next time, do not hire a coach that had a breakthrough season in a small conference (thompson/rice, mills/oru). hire a coach that has dominated a small conference for at least four years (marshall/winthrop, devries/drake). there's your tip for the day, kevin saal.
                    We were about a million a year short of being able to talk to DeVries. Everybody wanted IB gone, even though the athletic department was strapped for cash.

When you have to shop the "Value Brands" section at your local liquor store, you're not going to find a bottle of dom perignon in there.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ORU just offered Garden City CC’s PG who may be the best in the country.

Comment

Sorry should have quoted you. See post just above this one.

Comment

• Yes, there were some severe whiffs in recruiting last year. Based on what we saw I think Mills tried to get other players but could not buy his way into most conversations, and this is what he could scrape together with what he had to offer.

Who knew that Jacob Germany was a complete and utter dud?

Who knew that the smartest team ever at WSU would have absolutely NO basketball IQ?

Those are things that take more than a couple summer weeks to see, especially when all you have time to look at is the metrics available to you.

Yes, other first year coaches had better success, but those other first year coaches are at schools with more donor buy in and didn’t kick their donors to the curb with a “we don’t need you because your ideals don’t line up with ours.”

All in all, whether you enjoyed watching this team or not, Mills got better results this season with a stronger SOS than GM or MT did their first season, with less buy-in from the team.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Yes, there were some severe whiffs in recruiting last year. Based on what we saw I think Mills tried to get other players but could not buy his way into most conversations, and this is what he could scrape together with what he had to offer.

Who knew that Jacob Germany was a complete and utter dud?

Who knew that the smartest team ever at WSU would have absolutely NO basketball IQ?

Those are things that take more than a couple summer weeks to see, especially when all you have time to look at is the metrics available to you.

Yes, other first year coaches had better success, but those other first year coaches are at schools with more donor buy in and didn’t kick their donors to the curb with a “we don’t need you because your ideals don’t line up with ours.”

All in all, whether you enjoyed watching this team or not, Mills got better results this season with a stronger SOS than GM or MT did their first season, with less buy-in from the team.
                            All of that really doesn't matter. Results are results. He's not paid on a sliding scale. Better results by year 3 or he's gone. Let's stop with the excuses (many of which are just made up) and call it what it is. This year was a massive failure by every metric with a couple bright spots sprinkled in. Next year needs to show a DRASTIC improvement in results .. no excuses matter, or year 3 will be fundraising time for ADKS to get the buyout money worked up in case Mills can't live up to expectations again. Mills had a chance to build enough to add a year onto his tenure, he instead did bad enough he cut a year off his timeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

All of that really doesn't matter. Results are results. He's not paid on a sliding scale. Better results by year 3 or he's gone. Let's stop with the excuses (many of which are just made up) and call it what it is. This year was a massive failure by every metric with a couple bright spots sprinkled in. Next year needs to show a DRASTIC improvement in results .. no excuses matter, or year 3 will be fundraising time for ADKS to get the buyout money worked up in case Mills can't live up to expectations again. Mills had a chance to build enough to add a year onto his tenure, he instead did bad enough he cut a year off his timeline.
                              Is .500 next year DRASTIC? Because based on history of success at WSU in the past 25 years, Mills is birdie.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Is .500 next year DRASTIC? Because based on history of success at WSU in the past 25 years, Mills is birdie.
                                Considering we are going to finish the year with 5 or 6 conference wins, then yea I'd say 9+ conference wins is a pretty drastic improvement. But yes that word is open for interpretation. Then year 3 we should be looking for the 2 day bye in the AAC tourney

Comment

Working...
                                X