Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Mills didn’t bring in Drexel or Sienna, although they happen to be 2 of our better players.
    Really? Bell?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Can it be done in one year? Yes. But that's an extraordinary accomplishment. It definitely still takes multiple years for most coaches to turn a program around.
      Yah some posters here don’t understand that isn’t the norm.

However, we should never be 12th in a 14-team league. Ever.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Really? Bell?
        You don't consider 2nd in points and 3rd in assists to be one of the "better players". A relative term of course

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

You don't consider 2nd in points and 3rd in assists to be one of the "better players". A relative term of course
          Yea, he was both not a great player while also being one of our better players. The bar was low

Comment

How does he rank in FG% and turnovers?

Points are great but if it takes you 50 shots to get them and if you giftwrap the opponent another 10, does it really matter?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Microcosm of the horrible status of the program

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea, he was both not a great player while also being one of our better players. The bar was low
                Temple saw how easy it is to stop bells scoring. They just defended his left side, not allowing him to spin that way. Outcome was basically like a turnover when he couldn't hit that shot or missed trying to go right. Without being able to pass, he was doomed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Temple saw how easy it is to stop bells scoring. They just defended his left side, not allowing him to spin that way. Outcome was basically like a turnover when he couldn't hit that shot or missed trying to go right. Without being able to pass, he was doomed.
                  And we complained about Dexter Dennis not having 2 hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I was surprised that it took all season before someone actually just sat on his left side. Temple did a really good job, one guy in particular but I can't remember which one.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

How does he rank in FG% and turnovers?

Points are great but if it takes you 50 shots to get them and if you giftwrap the opponent another 10, does it really matter?

Since you asked and understand that he is someone who played out of position much of the season which caused him to handle the ball a lot:

In 959 minutes, Bell was .436 FG (3rd best among non-forwards) and 77 TOs which is second most to Beverly at 81. However, his 77 TOs and 959 minutes played should be compared to our actual point guard at 46 TOs in 356 minutes played. One should also consider Bell's 3pt% at .310 compared to Beverley's .236 and Cortes' .229.

The choice is yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Good point, but Siena, Drexel and Missouri State are.
                        Drexel and Siena aren't D1? Ok. As of today that makes WSU DIII...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Since you asked and understand that he is someone who played out of position much of the season which caused him to handle the ball a lot:

In 959 minutes, Bell was .436 FG (3rd best among non-forwards) and 77 TOs which is second most to Beverly at 81. However, his 77 TOs and 959 minutes played should be compared to our actual point guard at 46 TOs in 356 minutes played. One should also consider Bell's 3pt% at .310 compared to Beverley's .236 and Cortes' .229.

The choice is yours.
                          They all apparently suck
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The choice is yours.

Comment

• I am more concerned with the system Coach Mills runs than with his recruiting ability. In any case, I am not expecting 4 and 5 star recruits will be a significant part of our recruiting classes. I do like the two 3 star freshman he has coming in. T.J. is ranked #170 overall nationally and #35 at his position. Zion is ranked #158 overall nationally and #21 at his position. It remains to be seen as to how they will fit in with Mills system and how they will adapt to D-1 basketball at the AAC level.

To me Mills is trying to run more of an NBA style offense. However, I am not sure how well that will work without NBA level players. Now it might work at the collegiate level if you are in a league where you have the superior athletes like he did for a couple of years at ORU although I see that as less likely to be the case in the AAC.

So the question I have is Coach Mills open to re-evaluating his approach and, if so, is he capable of designing and installing a system that better utilizes the personnel he has at hand and the would include perhaps the willingness to make defense and rebounding a priority.

But, I'm sure Coach Mills knows far more than I do. OTOH, knowing something and effectively conveying that to young minds full of mush and getting them to buy into are separate things.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2024, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Bell was playing out of position no matter where he played. He doesn't have a position. He's obviously not a PG and doesn't shoot well enough to be a SG.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X