Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    In related news, here’s an interesting article about the struggles Rick Pitino is going through at St. John’s. His complaints sound eerily familiar although this is a coach that doesn’t sugarcoat it…..https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...571d1e9b&ei=22
    Pitino gets it. Then again he's a coach with the resume that backs himself up. But at least his comments show he knows things are **** and that he sees a path to make them better.

Mills is tarnishing his own reputation by not calling a spade a spade. This season is in a tailspin and Mills is still saying cart service will be coming down the isle shortly.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

"head coach Paul Mills and certain players on the team say their spirit isn’t broken."

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

“You just try to go 1-0 every day,” Mills said. “When you have people who just love playing the game of basketball, you’re not really worried about (players losing motivation). We’ve got a group that really enjoys playing basketball and they enjoy competing and we’ll continue to do that.”
      and they love their post game juice boxes

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Pitino gets it. Then again he's a coach with the resume that backs himself up. But at least his comments show he knows things are **** and that he sees a path to make them better.

Mills is tarnishing his own reputation by not calling a spade a spade. This season is in a tailspin and Mills is still saying cart service will be coming down the isle shortly.
        We are IDIOTS for not hiring Pitino when Marshall got canned. Idiots!

Watching him stalk the sidelines instead of.... oh never mind.

I get so pissed when I start venting about this **** show. I don't think it's healthy. I have so little patience for mediocrity and incompetence. Yet I root for Wichita State because it's my school.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

We are IDIOTS for not hiring Pitino when Marshall got canned. Idiots!

Watching him stalk the sidelines instead of.... oh never mind.

I get so pissed when I start venting about this **** show. I don't think it's healthy. I have so little patience for mediocrity and incompetence. Yet I root for Wichita State because it's my school.
          The idiocy began with the firing of GM, then giving an unproven assistant a FIVE year contract at double the price he would have accepted, then replacing him with, well, what we have now.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

The idiocy began with the firing of GM, then giving an unproven assistant a FIVE year contract at double the price he would have accepted, then replacing him with, well, what we have now.
            yes, we HAD to offer Isaac Brown the HC contract. The contract structure was horrendous. IB had no leverage but to decline the offer, which would have been the best case scenario for WSU. Probably would have been best for both parties in hindsight as IB surely would have gotten a nice job somewhere coming off AAC COY campaign.

Comment

yes, we HAD to offer Isaac Brown the HC contract. The contract structure was horrendous. IB had no leverage but to decline the offer, which would have been the best case scenario for WSU. Probably would have been best for both parties in hindsight as IB surely would have gotten a nice job somewhere coming off AAC COY campaign.
              Should have been HEAVILY incentive based with his lack of experience. 500k base, 250k making the tourney, 500k for sweet 16, 500k for winning the conference, 250k for Coach of the year, 1 mil for final four. Make buyout 50% of remaining base contract at any point. Heck make it retroactive to the start of Year 1 so he could get rewarded for the good first year.

Comment

• So I know there’s a lot of hating on Mills right now, but this morning I woke up and was really thinking back to the beginning of the year. It seemed like a big jump forward, and for a (very) brief period, felt like he was doing great. Until the scouting report was out on us on just how bad we are shooting, and passing, and generally everything lol

I say all this to mean that I felt weirdly… optimistic? Sometimes you have to go through some real **** to really know what it is you need to do to win. And let’s not forget, talent has been slowly filtering its way OUT of Wichita for these last few years. We’re not just left with benchwarmers. We’re left mostly with the guys who warm the bench after them.

Mills might have whiffed on these recruits but he doesn’t strike me as a stupid guy.

Anyways just the rambling of a guy sitting in a car wash.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                  So I know there’s a lot of hating on Mills right now, but this morning I woke up and was really thinking back to the beginning of the year. It seemed like a big jump forward, and for a (very) brief period, felt like he was doing great. Until the scouting report was out on us on just how bad we are shooting, and passing, and generally everything lol

I say all this to mean that I felt weirdly… optimistic? Sometimes you have to go through some real **** to really know what it is you need to do to win. And let’s not forget, talent has been slowly filtering its way OUT of Wichita for these last few years. We’re not just left with benchwarmers. We’re left mostly with the guys who warm the bench after them.

Mills might have whiffed on these recruits, but he doesn’t strike me as a stupid guy.

Anyways just the rambling of a guy sitting in a car wash.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

In related news, here’s an interesting article about the struggles Rick Pitino is going through at St. John’s. His complaints sound eerily familiar although this is a coach that doesn’t sugarcoat it…..https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...571d1e9b&ei=22
                    Did anybody open this article?

Pitino’s criticisms were directed at almost the entire St John’s basketball program. During his post-game press conference, he specifically took shots at several key members of his rotation by name.
                    “Joel [Soriano]’s slow laterally, he’s not fast on the court. Chris Ledlum is slow laterally, Sean Conway’s slow laterally. Brady [Dunlap’s] physically weak, Drissa [Traore] is slow laterally.”

Rick Pitino’s criticisms of St John’s basketball players

“We kind of lost this season with the way we recruited. We recruited the antithesis of the way I coach. It’s a good group, they try hard, but they’re just not very tough. … It’s not the job. You could be at Missouri and recruit slow players. Believe me, it’s not St. John’s.We had to put together a team at the last second. We will never, ever do that again.

“Do we have sh***y facilities? Yes, we do. But we’re doing something about that. But that’s not the reason we’re losing. Having sh***y facilities has nothing to do with guarding.”
                    No bullshit. Just plain talk. I didn't think there was anybody left in America who could do that.

He would have been a perfect fit for Wichita.

We don't have any good strip clubs here either.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I don’t know what this means haha… is it saying he’s stupid?

Comment

• I enjoyed one of PM’s first comments on the radio show last night, referring to the Charlotte game. “Mike, I think even you can make 4 out of 10 free throws.” He also said something to the effect that they had to simplify (dumbdown) the offense. He knows he brought in a crap hand, and knows it has to be fixed…imo. Time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

I don’t know what this means haha… is it saying he’s stupid?
                          No, the opposite; I’ve met PM and actually came away impressed. He’s definitely intelligent; let’s pray he can coach.
                          Dear 8 pound baby Jesus.
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Just read the Pitino article. I think we're about to discover whether calling your players out publicly in the modern climate will attract better talent in the next recruiting cycle or cut the coaching staff's legs right out from under them.

Now, his criticisms are probably not news to the players themselves. I'm sure they hear it routinely in practice. But very few will react positively to having them aired in public. He may be able to do damage control with his players. I just don't think a majority of potential recruits are going to read those comments and think "I want to play for that guy!"

Comment

• Or his recruits will say, the door is open since he's dissatisfied with the current roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                Just read the Pitino article. I think we're about to discover whether calling your players out publicly in the modern climate will attract better talent in the next recruiting cycle or cut the coaching staff's legs right out from under them.

Now, his criticisms are probably not news to the players themselves. I'm sure they hear it routinely in practice. But very few will react positively to having them aired in public. He may be able to do damage control with his players. I just don't think a majority of potential recruits are going to read those comments and think "I want to play for that guy!"
                                absolutely

Comment

Working...
                                X