Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Was really interesting how he flourished afterwards though. Genuinely wonder what that was about because he was awful here
    Seems to me darn near everyone flourished after leaving here. 3G was a hell of a recruiter.

Comment

Was really interesting how he flourished afterwards though. Genuinely wonder what that was about because he was awful here
      Freshman become Sophomores.

Comment

im gonna get hate here, but those last few years, Marshall wasn’t at his best. I do think we would’ve seen a return to form the year that Isaac Brown took over though.
        I agree, but I'm not so sure about that last part. It seems that once coaches get so full of themselves they're done.

"Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I think Sherfield was a late addition to that recruiting class after Steve Alford got fired from UCLA, so it would have been TE and NF (who were both from that area of the country too).
          I think that several people on here have Sherfield's problems figured out. It was more than one thing. I think that Marshall saw a very talented player who he hoped he could mold into HIS type of Point Guard. GS had the talent to be a big scorer, and had the talent to pass, but GS wanted to be THE GUY. (The SMU game later in the year when we came back from a huge deficit, showed his offensive talent) Marshall wanted him to be more like Fred, and constrain himself offensively most of the time being more of a team distributor, with offensive talents that GS would use when the game situations demanded him to step up.

Sub is correct imo that GS didn't appreciate Marshall holding him accountable, nor did he appreciate the constraints held over him, that he interpreted were holding him back. OTOH, when Sherfield went to Nevada (and later Oklahoma), his coaches let him dominate the ball, dribbling, and shooting, and GS averaged over 20 ppg, but GS never developed the strengths to be a team leader. The same thing happened at Oklahoma.

Comment

• Here's a quote from Sark. It pertains to football, but could easily be applied to basketball.
            "I just don't want to hurry up and get a guy on the field. I want to make sure when he gets on the field that he plays great football. And that's a little easier to do as you start to move and you get into year four of your program, as opposed to year one and you're trying to get the best guy out there to give yourself a chance."

Comment

• I will say, in four of our last five games we have looked like a different team than the one that lost 8 in a row. If the guys can take one more step forward I could see us being the team the top four seeds won't want to face in Ft. Worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                I will say, in four of our last five games we have looked like a different team than the one that lost 8 in a row. If the guys can take one more step forward I could see us being the team the top four seeds won't want to face in Ft. Worth.
                Agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  I will say, in four of our last five games we have looked like a different team than the one that lost 8 in a row. If the guys can take one more step forward I could see us being the team the top four seeds won't want to face in Ft. Worth.
                  Yea last couple have been promising compared to the start of conference. We almost beat two teams we shouldn't have (though both those teams were struggling) and beat a team convincingly that we should have.

KenPom has us losing 3 of the next 5 (at ECU, At Charlotte, At UAB). To really feel like we are making progress I'd like to see us hold the home court (Tulsa, Temple) and win 2 of the 3 road games (Charlotte is going to be tough, but ECU and UAB are possible).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea last couple have been promising compared to the start of conference. We almost beat two teams we shouldn't have (though both those teams were struggling) and beat a team convincingly that we should have.

KenPom has us losing 3 of the next 5 (at ECU, At Charlotte, At UAB). To really feel like we are making progress I'd like to see us hold the home court (Tulsa, Temple) and win 2 of the 3 road games (Charlotte is going to be tough, but ECU and UAB are possible).
                    UAB would be a tough W.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

UAB would be a tough W.
                      Absolutely agree .. but its a measuring stick. They are roughly 35 spots higher than us in KenPom. They barely beat FAU at home, We barely lost to FAU at home. So if are showing continued improvement, at minimum its should be a close game. Ideally that's one we win. Its a game that isn't so unrealistic to expect to win . I just struggle to say we are actually improving if we can only pull off home wins vs UTSA, Tulsa and Temple after that big SMU win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

UAB would be a tough W.
                        UAB is like a box of chocolates...............

They seem to be very erratic. They may have gotten their game together lately as they have played well.

However, they have a long list of disappointments or close wins that should have been better. Lost to Bradley by 2, beat Alcorn St by 3, beat Middle Tennesse by 1, lost to McNeese by 21, lost to Southern Miss by 3, lost to Arkansas St by 19, beat UTSA by 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

UAB is like a box of chocolates...............

They seem to be very erratic. They may have gotten their game together lately as they have played well.

However, they have a long list of disappointments or close wins that should have been better. Lost to Bradley by 2, beat Alcorn St by 3, beat Middle Tennesse by 1, lost to McNeese by 21, lost to Southern Miss by 3, lost to Arkansas St by 19, beat UTSA by 2.
                          We’re more like pancakes - all exciting at first, but by the end, you’re sick of ‘em. (Mitch Hedberg)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

We’re more like pancakes - all exciting at first, but by the end, you’re sick of ‘em. (Mitch Hedberg)
                            You just gotta have lots of different syrups.

Comment

• UAB started the season poorly but has definitely gotten better. When the NET first came out they were in the 230s. When January rolled around they were around 215. Now they're around 115.

Wichita was around 90 when it the first NET came out and now we're around 150.

One team has definitely been improving and moving in the right direction. It's a shame their season started off so shaky. I really thought they'd end up in the realm of North Texas this year.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• It interests me how hard UAB still recruits and signs key Juco players. Our fine State still has many top Juco Schools with possible recruits to consider along with Portal players. I really like our 2 incoming high school recruits TJ and Zion. My choice of 6 existing foundational players to return are these 6. 1. C. Rogers 2. Q. Ballard 3. Kenny P. 4. Beverly 5. DeGray 6. X. Bell. Keep these 8 mentioned above and find 5 more that can all seriously challenge for playing time.

Again, this leaves us 5 more players from our existing roster (???), or recruits to get our Program winning and competitive again from Portal, etc. Please, pretty please, make sure in these crucial decisions that we make have (1, maybe 2) incredible and true point guards that can quarterback and lead this team immediately.

We need another inside banger, players that can score and make shots, and defenders and stoppers that can already do all of the above the moment they arrive here at 21st. and Hillside as Shockers. Think of the times how close but so far away we came with Memphis, FAU, etc. The difference that 3-5 key new players could make, might be key?

Just my UNSOLICITED and free FSF opinions.

LET'S GO SHOCKERS!
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X