No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, this guy has won 20 games exactly once in his career.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• After watching KSU play Baylor, I was able to see what Mills is likely trying to run on offense. I believe Mills learned offense from Drew at Baylor and then used that system at ORU. He had an AA PG and a bunch of 3-point shooters at ORU. He doesn't have that at WSU. He doesn't have a roster remotely capable of running the syste,m I saw KSU and Baylor run, although the offense was horrific in that game.

I don't think Mills has the coaching background that allows him to adapt to WSU's personnel. In a short recruiting cycle, Mills doesn't have the roster to adjust to his game, and he doesn't have the coaching chops 6to adapt to the roster. I don't know if anybidy has the coaching chops to adapt to WSU's roster.

All that is on Mills, but when you're the last guy at the buffet table, you take what's still left on the buffet table.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
        Again, this guy has won 20 games exactly once in his career.
        We coulda had a guy that went 25-29 in the ASUN, T-10 and T-3rd in two years.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

It is worth stating that ORU is insanely difficult place to coach. Not disagreeing or whatever but pointing that out. ORI =/ other D1 programs

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

It is worth stating that ORU is insanely difficult place to coach. Not disagreeing or whatever but pointing that out. ORI =/ other D1 programs
            Fair point. He hasn’t passed the eye test for me and I’m just saying that it was a massive gamble by our staff. I think it says more about the state of our department and finances.

Also if Gene Stephenson would have been told to stay ****ed off to Oklahoma and Marshall been allowed to **** off to Alabama both men would be incontrovertible saints in Wichita and both programs would be in much better shape. Lessons to be learned, hopefully, for the next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

We coulda had a guy that went 25-29 in the ASUN, T-10 and T-3rd in two years.
              Think of where the program was when we got Turgeon. You are more or less making my point. Calculated risk that paid off big time but it was a penny stock not a AA bond.

Comment

Fair point. He hasn’t passed the eye test for me and I’m just saying that it was a massive gamble by our staff. I think it says more about the state of our department and finances.

Also if Gene Stephenson would have been told to stay ****ed off to Oklahoma and Marshall been allowed to **** off to Alabama both men would be incontrovertible saints in Wichita and both programs would be in much better shape. Lessons to be learned, hopefully, for the next time.
                You forgot to add that if Ralph Miller would have gone to Iowa after bringing the Shockers to national prominence, he would have been added to the rafters in Koch Arena. Oh, wait, he did leave for Iowa, and he was added to the rafters. Then, what happened to our prominent basketball program a couple of years later (national prominence didn't come back for almost TWO DECADES).

I don't know what happens to college basketball in Wichita in the future. College basketball is changing, people seem to be losing interest after Covid, and with College basketball wanting to compete with the NBA, and Free Agency, I'm not sure that it will survive to be the game it used to be. However, if it survives, Gregg Marshall will be hanging from the rafters too, and you will be proven an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You forgot to add that if Ralph Miller would have gone to Iowa after bringing the Shockers to national prominence, he would have been added to the rafters in Koch Arena. Oh, wait, he did leave for Iowa, and he was added to the rafters. Then, what happened to our prominent basketball program a couple of years later (national prominence didn't come back for almost TWO DECADES).

I don't know what happens to college basketball in Wichita in the future. College basketball is changing, people seem to be losing interest after Covid, and with College basketball wanting to compete with the NBA, and Free Agency, I'm not sure that it will survive to be the game it used to be. However, if it survives, Gregg Marshall will be hanging from the rafters too, and you will be proven an idiot.
                  Tell me, how was the atmosphere at the Fairmount v. Cooper football game? Did the Coleman lanterns cast a warm glow?

Comment

Interesting. Exactly the same as Bill Self at ORU.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Honestly, I just think we haven’t seen what Mills is really about yet. At first I’m like thinking he sucks, but then I put say Bill Self in his shoes, and I really truly don’t think Self could make much of this either. Or Marshall. Or whatever. Mills 100% gets the blame for the poor quality of recruits (even though he came in the recruiting late), but let’s see if that’s a lesson learned for next year or not.

i do have my concerns of course, like his regular low defensive ratings and everything, but we’ll see. Because we’re too broke to do anything else lol

Comment

• In my view, this year is a wash and I am not judging Mills on anything this year. The team was such a disaster after the IB years that nothing can be gleaned from this year. Just the way I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Interesting. Exactly the same as Bill Self at ORU.
                          Fair. Time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                            Mills 100% gets the blame for the poor quality of recruits (even though he came in the recruiting late), but let’s see if that’s a lesson learned for next year or not.
                            So, he was hired 11 days after our season was over, 5 days after ORU's season was over, and that's considered late?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

So, he was hired 11 days after our season was over, 5 days after ORU's season was over, and that's considered late?
                              I thought the recruiting cycle was a bit earlier on than that. Seemed like there weren’t a ton of options available in the transfer portal when he finally got to start in on it, especially after forming his staff.

That being said, I think he made a huge mistake in banking too hard on Abmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Do you think coaches only recruit during the off season?

Comment

Working...
                                X