WICHITA STATE (8-4) vs. #2 KANSAS (11-1) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Half of the posts over at the KU board game thread are about Marshall. It’s comforting knowing they’re still stinging over there.
    They'll never play us in the regular season when we have good teams. We're 2 and 0 in the tournament against them when it really matters.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I like Ms. leather pants a lot!
      Kate and Tatum were both show stoppers while filming the routines.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You are definitely right. Why it happens could be anyone’s guess.
        Thought DR plays with energy, purpose. Same for IB. Ballard has came a long way from last year.
        Pohto is 6'10", plays like he is 6'4". Not sure what Germany is doing in practice, but he needs another look.
        Bell is, well, Bell. If and when Cortes gets healthy, Bell would be reduced to what he really is - a 6-8 minute/game role player.
        Beverly scores 4 points, gives up 6.
        Not getting the feeling for DeGray. I know he has only played a couple games, but he is lost out there and not explosive at all. Maybe just needs more time.

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Oh, and portal too.
        HCPM will have to p replace DR and as of now, that's a big replacement. Dude can play and at least leaves it all on the floor. Would love to have him another year or two.
        Colby Rogers will be worn out come season end. Everybody knows he is only scoring threat and they guard the **** out of him. He needs help!

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• There were more Shocker fans in attendance than I expected. Well done Shocker Nation. I didn't get the feeling KU was overly talented but that may just be my bias. My blood was boiling after the first 6 mins or so and I honestly don't have clear thoughts on anything after. That said though, it was mostly a wine and cheese KU crowd. I was expecting it to be worse. Good to have this one out of the way, time to focus on conference play.

Not sure if he was shown on TV or not but X-Man was in attendance. Several in the crowd showed appreciation when he was shown on the big screen. Definitely appreciative of his support over the last several years.
          Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; December 31, 2023, 06:49 AM.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Shocks. Didn't. Even. Compete...

Comment

• BTW Shocker fans were GREAT in the arena yesterday! In full regalia and proprtionately louder during our few little runs. Buzzard fans are so entitled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                BTW Shocker fans were GREAT in the arena yesterday! In full regalia and proprtionately louder during our few little runs. Buzzard fans are so entitled.
                WSU had just tied the game with a corner 3 maybe around the 8-10 min mark in first half, and then after a stop, WSU had a chance to take lead with decent look in the paint, I think. Dollar Bill probably calls a timeout if that falls because you could feel momentum moving, especially in the crowd. Instead, shot missed, KU got a couple easy baskets, and that was that.

But yeah, WSU fans did fine. Much better than KSU game.
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

If and when Cortes gets healthy, Bell would be reduced to what he really is - a 6-8 minute/game role player.
                  Hmmmm. Cortes is poor shooter, can’t create a shot, and has a career scoring average of what, 3 pts game? And at least so far he doesn’t appear to be creating assists either. And he’s going to take Bell’s minutes? I know there are a lot of Bell haters on this board, but this is way over the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Hmmmm. Cortes is poor shooter, can’t create a shot, and has a career scoring average of what, 3 pts game? And at least so far he doesn’t appear to be creating assists either. And he’s going to take Bell’s minutes? I know there are a lot of Bell haters on this board, but this is way over the top.
                    Personally I like Bell. I don’t blame him for not assisting others as much as he should. Once he drives, the idea is to what? Kick to shooters who do very poorly from outside? I think he brings a certain kind of pressure that we lack otherwise, the threat of just being able to bowl down the middle and force a bucket.

i know I’ve been overly critical in recent times, but he’s a bright spot for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Bell is, well, Bell. If and when Cortes gets healthy, Bell would be reduced to what he really is - a 6-8 minute/game role player.
                      Beverly scores 4 points, gives up 6.

That is all.

Actually, that is some excellent analysis from someone that knows the game of basketball!

Comment

• I sincerely hope to be proven wrong and it's only been a couple games but RD and BC are a combined 4-19 FG's and 0-5 from deep. Six assists to seven turnovers. Negative impact so far. I'll give it maybe 3-4 more games but so far I'm not seeing how they are going to help us much. Still concerned about chemistry in a nine man rotation.

Comment

• Bell is what he is at this point, a low major transfer that was welcomed with open arms by IB. But if he is the best we’re able to get for that spot going forward, then you might as well close up shop and head back to the Valley.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Bell was thrust into a tough role due to numbers at the start of the year.
                            No arguing he has played his heart out and been even bit of a surprise. He certainly has his moments.
                            But he also drives into the lane and then gets caught - he either throws up some silly shot , gets it blocked or throws it away.

I am in no way saying Cortes is the answer to WSU woes @ PG. But he has played all of 3 games, can certainly handle the ball, makes some decent passes (his whip pass from the left wing to the opposite corner yesterday for an open 3 shot was impressive).
                            Bell makes a good substitute and can play a couple of positions - that makes him valuable.
                            Help is coming - will just have to wait until next year.

And yes, I have already heard talk that HCPM and staff are in on a legit post player to come in and play next year. Nothing signed, but word is things are looking good.
                            As mentioned, this staff knows how to recruit in todays NIL/Portal world. Just as important, they have the support from the right people to help get it done.
                            Translated, you need $$$ in todays collegiate world if you want to play the game. Yes, the people who have and willing to invest have agreed to do so.

That is all.
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• I think Bell is a 18-20 minute a game player if we have a PG because he can play a couple of positions and nobody has proved they are consistent. It’s not like anyone else is doing it from game to game. Ridgnal was decent yesterday but was non existent against KState when we needed him in a game we had a chance to win.

Right now the AAC is 10th trailing the Valley by one spot in conference rankings. Not sure within conference play how much that will change.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Bell is what he is at this point, a low major transfer that was welcomed with open arms by IB. But if he is the best we’re able to get for that spot going forward, then you might as well close up shop and head back to the Valley.
                                This may be true. However, before bashing Bell, we might want to look at our options. Outside of Ballard, Pohto, and Abidde, Bell has the best FG% on the team and it's not that close. Bell is at .446 and next in line is Ridgnal at .424. Rogers is barely better from 2 than he is from 3. After that, it's all under .400. Frankly, I'm far from sold on Cortes at this point. Despite reasonably good shooting %s in the past, he just doesn't seem to shoot much. He played 17+ mpg last year and average 3.2 ppg. Cortes' career A/T % is nothing to jump for joy about either.

Comment

Working...
                                X