WICHITA STATE (4-0) vs. LIBERTY (3-0) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yes? We had a drastic height advantage and definitely an athletic advantage. They were better coached and got their players better shots than ours.
    I already said that Liberty shot 14/40 from 3 against us. They only shot 18 3 pointers against Vermont. They effectively negated out height advantage by shooting and making a very good 3 point percentage, and limiting our offensive rebounding.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I just wish we'd seen some semblance of coaching in the 2nd half of the Liberty game. The wheels started falling off and nothing changed.
      that's legit

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm not sure that Liberty got better shots (at least not wider open than our shots), but they were hitting their shots (several of them were 25 footers). If Liberty doesn't hit their 3 point shots (14/40 compared to our 2/14 = 36 points), we win, and they lose. They physically, and smartly contested (chested up, and borderline fouling) every shot, and were content with Bell (isolating 1 on 1) getting into the lane, taking contested shots, as long as we didn't get the rebound when he missed. They boxed out really well, and were content with rebounding. The spacing that Mills emphasizes so well, doesn't help as well against a smaller, quick, smart team who plays good defense.

Suffice it to say that Liberty is a larger teams Kryptonite if they hit their 3's. It happens all the time.
        They definitely got better shots. They were passing the ball around and consistently hit their shooters in rhythm. Most of our shots were "self created" which are rarely as high of quality of shots as someone receiving a pass ready to shoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I already said that Liberty shot 14/40 from 3 against us. They only shot 18 3 pointers against Vermont. They effectively negated out height advantage by shooting and making a very good 3 point percentage, and limiting our offensive rebounding.
          Agreed, they had a very good gameplan that leveraged their advantage and gave them good shots. I.e. we were outcoached. Their gameplan was better than ours. They also adjusted on defense in the second half by collapsing on the drivers because they knew our gameplan was to try to space out the lane so we could drive. They took that away and we did not make any adjustments and instead just kept driving into multiple players and either got trapped or spun right into their defender stripping the ball.

Comment

• Losing to Liberty had nothing to do with coaching other than not being able to get lucky and land an experienced floor general PG that could help navigate running into a very experienced top-64 program. We didn't get out-coached, we got out-experienced. There are only so many adjustments a new coach can make with a new set of players with a new system, this early in your first season. That's got nothing to do with Xs and Os.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Agreed, they had a very good gameplan that leveraged their advantage and gave them good shots. I.e. we were outcoached. Their gameplan was better than ours. They also adjusted on defense in the second half by collapsing on the drivers because they knew our gameplan was to try to space out the lane so we could drive. They took that away and we did not make any adjustments and instead just kept driving into multiple players and either got trapped or spun right into their defender stripping the ball.
              You simplify things too much. This happens all the time in the NCAA Tournament, where teams who shoot 3's successfully win against superior teams. Why did they not shoot that many 3's against Vermont? They weren't forced to, and likely didn't think they could make them at a 35% rate. That includes a lot of good fortune for the WSU game.

I will add that Rode shot 7/12 3 pointers against WSU, and only 2/5 against Vermont. They weren't forced to shoot from deep nearly as much vs. Vermont.

Comment

• Happens to the best of them; even HOFers...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Let's just say then, that the Liberty coach made brilliant halftime adjustments

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Let's just say then, that the Liberty coach made brilliant halftime adjustments
                    And we didn't ... which i guess has nothing to do with coaching?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Losing to Liberty had nothing to do with coaching other than not being able to get lucky and land an experienced floor general PG that could help navigate running into a very experienced top-64 program. We didn't get out-coached, we got out-experienced. There are only so many adjustments a new coach can make with a new set of players with a new system, this early in your first season. That's got nothing to do with Xs and Os.
                      THIS !!!! Thank you!!! 8 kids( yes, some taller, some more athletic( whatever THAT implies) )but none who really have played together, likely to be vulnerable to a cohesive group that has been together.
                      I hate the phrase “ outcoached”… it indicates so much negativity that may not be quantifiable , but totally implies ineptitude or laziness

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

THIS !!!! Thank you!!! 8 kids( yes, some taller, some more athletic( whatever THAT implies) )but none who really have played together, likely to be vulnerable to a cohesive group that has been together.
                        I hate the phrase “ outcoached”… it indicates so much negativity that may not be quantifiable , but totally implies ineptitude or laziness
                        You also have to have execution of the coaching instructions. Sometimes that falls apart. If you don't have a deep bench it may be difficult to sit players for a bit to adjust their mentality. Also, when things go south, it isn't surprising to see players go into "hero ball" because the gut level instinct is to try and make something happen, even if that goes against the game plan. Learning to fight that instinct takes time.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• I remember an NCAA tourney game against Marshall where WSU had a lot of "advantages" and Marshall (the school, not the coach) was hotter than stink from 3. (Although Marshall, the coach, was probably hotter than stink from the sidelines.) It can be very hard to beat a team that can consistently hit 3-pointers.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned that the wheels fell off in the second half when Bell went to the bench with foul trouble. Liberty went on something like a 10-0 run to turn a small lead into a big lead. The Shox had one run left, but then things really fell apart late in the game, which may have been a factor of fatigue.

One thing that always remains true: Haters gonna hate.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            I remember an NCAA tourney game against Marshall where WSU had a lot of "advantages" and Marshall was hotter than stink from 3. It can be very hard to beat a team that can consistently hit 3-pointers.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned that the wheels fell off in the second half when Bell went to the bench with foul trouble. Liberty went on something like a 10-0 run to turn a small lead into a big lead. The Shox had one run left, but then things really fell apart late in the game, which may have been a factor of fatigue.

One thing that always remains true: Haters gonna hate.
                            And sunshine pumpers will make excuses. Those unable to have a nuanced POV and instead can only see things one way.

Thankfully HCPM made up for being outcoached vs Liberty by drawing up a great game plan for St. Louis

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

You also have to have execution of the coaching instructions. Sometimes that falls apart. If you don't have a deep bench it may be difficult to sit players for a bit to adjust their mentality. Also, when things go south, it isn't surprising to see players go into "hero ball" because the gut level instinct is to try and make something happen, even if that goes against the game plan. Learning to fight that instinct takes time.
                              But the problem is that absolutely nothing changed in approach. Zip. That comes from the bench, or at least it should. That was one of the things that was so frustrating and embarrassing about the Liberty game. I didn't expect to win that game going into it. But when it started to slip away there was no effort to try anything different. No effort to modify anything. We kept giving good looks to good shooters and we kept forcing more than our share of bad shots by doing the same thing over and over again.

Yes, Liberty shot and hit a lot of threes. We gave them every opportunity to do so. Perhaps they shot less against Vermont yesterday because Vermont gave them fewer good looks.

I also just went back thru the play by play and they didn't even score 10 points after Bell committed his 3rd foul to when he popped back up in the PBP again. At that point, they had gone on a 6-2 run with one of those 6 being the FT made due to Bell's foul. That was a three and a half minute stretch. The game got away after the under 8 timeout which had nothing to do with anyone having foul trouble.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Losing to Liberty had nothing to do with coaching other than not being able to get lucky and land an experienced floor general PG that could help navigate running into a very experienced top-64 program. We didn't get out-coached, we got out-experienced. There are only so many adjustments a new coach can make with a new set of players with a new system, this early in your first season. That's got nothing to do with Xs and Os.
                                Sometimes it's all about the Jimmies and the Joes...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X