2023-2024 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Yes, if Fox News says so, then it shall be written…

A P5 school with a low seed will be considered a Cinderella from this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

A P5 school with a low seed will be considered a Cinderella from this point.
      I think we can say NC State is a cinderella. They don't make the NCAA without winning the ACC tournament and they had to win five games in five days.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I think we can say NC State is a cinderella. They don't make the NCAA without winning the ACC tournament and they had to win five games in five days.
        Exactly....amazing story....kind of fun to watch...

Comment

• And who doesn't want to watch at least the opening moments of the Purdue-NCState game? One really really really tall guy and one wide body . Who wins? Who loses? Might actually be worth it to miss Antiques Roadshow and Boy Meets World Monday night.

Comment

• You have to love DJ's smile! And a big man that can pass.....music to my ears.

Jimmy V has to smiling down on the Pack.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it, but if you're the one that hasn't, 30 for 30 Survive and Advance, the last time State made the Final 4 is must watch. Just for Terry Gannon (who does golf now) and Whittenburg going back and forth...those 2 are great. And of course, Coach Valvano.

The phone rings and I answer:

"Hello?"
            "Is this Coach Valvano?"
            "Yes, it is."
            "This is the White House."

I hung up.

Maybe you get a lot of calls from the White House, this was my first. I thought someone was pranking me.

Phone rings again. I pick up the phone.

"Coach, this is the White House, do NOT hang up".

"Yeah that wasn't me, the line dropped or something".

Fanabla!

Anyone remember what they called the trio that was assembled 2 seasons after that Natty team? Lorenzo Charles (RIP) and Cozelle McQueen were just sophomores at the time. When they were seniors in '84-'85 they added a 6-10 freshman, Chris Washburn.

Those 3 together were called.............?

Comment

• My favorite speech ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Ah yes, the cinderella with an annual athletics revenue of ... *checks notes* .... 100M dollars.

Really cool to see these little guys face insurmountable odds with nothing to help them out and still prevail.

No they aren't a cinderella lol. They are just someone who should have been way better during the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Ah yes, the cinderella with an annual athletics revenue of ... *checks notes* .... 100M dollars.

Really cool to see these little guys face insurmountable odds with nothing to help them out and still prevail.

No they aren't a cinderella lol. They are just someone who should have been way better during the season.
                  At least they got in via the AQ spot, not by getting an at-large over a more deserving school. But their winning the ACC tournament ultimately did create that bump. I'd like to think that unfortunate schools was ISUb, but alas, the spot would have probably gone to some hack P5 school that would get bounced in the first round.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Since there isn't really another thread discussing it, UConn breezed by Purdue last night. Their guards were too athletic and they played Purdue similarly to how other teams have played them - they just have the personnel to do it. And they run some great offense, even if I can't stand Dan Hurley.

Luke Murray (yes, Bill Murray's son) had the scout for UConn. I think he'll be a solid head coach one day.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I saw that UCONN won by 15 points on the news. It sounds like an exciting Championship game, unlike the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl (note of sarcasm). I can honestly say that I saw zero minutes of the NCAA Tournament this year. From things I hear, NCAA Professional Basketball and their extreme "money" is producing a truly lopsided product, and only teams like Arkansas and Indiana will be able to consistently penetrate it, on an inconsistent basis. Only 20-30 teams with an occasional newbie will ever be a part of the new system, and nobody will see them on television shortly, except on Tuesday's through Friday's.

I predict the worst, because most schools can't compete, plus18 year old kids aren't able to handle money (without supervision which most don't have), nor can they make good decisions regarding yearly multiple transfers, and the entire system will continue to be sub-par.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        I saw that UCONN won by 15 points on the news. It sounds like an exciting Championship game, unlike the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl (note of sarcasm). I can honestly say that I saw zero minutes of the NCAA Tournament this year. From things I hear, NCAA Professional Basketball and their extreme "money" is producing a truly lopsided product, and only teams like Arkansas and Indiana will be able to consistently penetrate it, on an inconsistent basis. Only 20-30 teams with an occasional newbie will ever be a part of the new system, and nobody will see them on television shortly, except on Tuesday's through Friday's.

I predict the worst, because most schools can't compete, plus18 year old kids aren't able to handle money (without supervision which most don't have), nor can they make good decisions regarding yearly multiple transfers, and the entire system will continue to be sub-par.
                        A sports fan forum with no thread on the NCAA D1 men's basketball tournament...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

A sports fan forum with no thread on the NCAA D1 men's basketball tournament...
                          Well when you are basically eliminated from tournament consideration shortly after the new year .. tends to lower interest in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Well when you are basically eliminated from tournament consideration shortly after the new year .. tends to lower interest in it.
                            Either way. It wasn't exciting. Unlike me who only pays attention to the Shockers (although sparingly anymore), you are still a basketball fan, aren't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Either way. It wasn't exciting. Unlike me who only pays attention to the Shockers (although sparingly anymore), you are still a basketball fan, aren't you?
                              I am .. but this years tourney really didn't draw me in. When your "Cinderella" is an ACC team .. its just not a good tourney. I tuned in to watch KU lose and watched part of the AAC games .. but otherwise .. no team I really cared about.

Comment

• first half was actually really good. UConn had a gameplan that entailed letting Edey get his points while shutting down everyone else, as well as the permiter game (Purdue was the #2 3 pt team in the country). Uconn also banked on keeping up the tempo and wearing Purdue (mainly Edey) out. The plan worked to a T and the 2nd half was all Uconn.

Comment

Working...
                                X