Shockers vs Lipscomb (Monday, Nov 6th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I understand your consternation, but I think Rogers did what exactly was needed in the moment. They realized the guy guarding him couldn't stop him, and he was being successful. Don't fix what's not broken. It may not be your (or mine for that matter) favorite brand of basketball, but it worked and essentially decided the game. Taking full advantage of matchups where we actually HAVE an advantage works for me every time.

And we probably should get used to enjoying every shot Colby can take, because we're going to need a lot of them. I expect he will be a high volume shooter/scorer all season. Like the highest we've seen in decades.
    Tyson Etienne was pretty high volume, so was McDuffie his last year.

edit: I looked it up, McDuffie shot 525 times his sr year, Etienne was the 2nd highest the last 10 years at 370, so not really close. The magic number for the most shots on a team any given year seems to be around 300-325.
    Last edited by Dan; November 8, 2023, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Going tomorrow to see in person.....I think long term IS the key.....I remember when more ballyhooed coaches (Pitino and Williams come to mind) came to new places with 'misfit toys'(though better than these but, for better or worse(depending on if you like these guys...I don't) they set the framework...
      Perhaps I will see you there. I would be interested in a first hand accounting of a recent social engagement of mutual friends and colleagues to which you were a party.

Comment

• I'm not ready to write off KP as a 3 pt threat yet, but I agree with Wu that perimeter shooting is a concern. Don't want to see CR turn into another TE but doubt HCPM will allow that. I'll be watching to see how they figure out how to get him open looks. I think KP has to be part of that equation based on his passing ability and floor vision and XB needs to create for others more and find him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

edit: I looked it up, McDuffie shot 525 times his sr year, Etienne was the 2nd highest the last 10 years at 370, so not really close. The magic number for the most shots on a team any given year seems to be around 300-325.
          Wow, McDuffie 525?! I never would have thought that. A shade over 14 shots a game. That's probably where Colby will/should be...15 shots a game with some really high volume games when necessary (a repeat of Game 1, and I didn't feel like he overshot AT ALL, over 37 games like McDuffie would mean 629 shots this season).

Comment

• A little surprised at the overall level of criticism and high expectations. A fair amount are grading against what we hope to return to. We have a long road ahead of us and many will remain disappointed throughout this inaugural season. I'm just looking for incremental improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
              Im actually surprised how many on here were unimpressed with QB. I thought he was the 2nd best player on the court. He blocked a couple of shots early, and Lipscomb quit trying to go to the rim, instead, they just shot 3's
              He was definitely the 2nd most influential player on the court. He still has a long way to go but he's also made big strides to get to this point. And he very much fits they type of player Baylor has been successful with over the years (during and after HCPM was in Waco).

Comment

Machine Gun McDuffie.

Wow.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Machine Gun McDuffie.

Wow.
                  to his defense, he was surrounded by a bunch of newbies.

Comment

I show SHJ attempting 459 the same year McDuffie attempted 525 ...

Comment

• I did laugh at the guy in front of me, who was telling CR to pass the ball when he was backing someone down and then hit the shot and then this guy precedes to put his arms up and shake his head
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                        A little surprised at the overall level of criticism and high expectations. A fair amount are grading against what we hope to return to. We have a long road ahead of us and many will remain disappointed throughout this inaugural season. I'm just looking for incremental improvement.
                        Don't get me wrong. The team is on the right track. I said CRS streak shooting concerns me, but I like his ability to score. I'd rather see it in a consistent manner though. Tight games generally get a W or L based on the teams top scorers end of game play. If he's hot=W. If not=L. So let's just hopes he's hot at the end of close games.
                        ​​​​​
                        KP, yes I'm a little critical of because he is wasting about 6-7 inches of height advantage.
                        But I've said how I like this teams game so far, and think it will be fun to watch them grow. I would almost bet those 2 things about KP and CR have been talked about with them by the coaches

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I understand your consternation, but I think Rogers did what exactly was needed in the moment. They realized the guy guarding him couldn't stop him, and he was being successful. Don't fix what's not broken. It may not be your (or mine for that matter) favorite brand of basketball, but it worked and essentially decided the game. Taking full advantage of matchups where we actually HAVE an advantage works for me every time.

And we probably should get used to enjoying every shot Colby can take, because we're going to need a lot of them. I expect he will be a high volume shooter/scorer all season. Like the highest we've seen in decades.
                          Yep... this is modern basketball and it very much works, especially for a team like ours that may not always have the "cohesive" offensive power or the offense fully learned. Find the mismatch and feed it over and over until they switch, then find the new mismatch. It's how Miami made the NBA Finals this year.

Speaking of, it's nice to finally see some modern sets and an offense that's not totally stuck in 2005.
                          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I show SHJ attempting 459 the same year McDuffie attempted 525 ...
                            McDuffie also kind of needed to shoot that much, as he was our most efficient player on offense that season.

Tyson Etienne was somewhere around the 4th most efficient option in 21-22.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                              A little surprised at the overall level of criticism and high expectations. A fair amount are grading against what we hope to return to. We have a long road ahead of us and many will remain disappointed throughout this inaugural season. I'm just looking for incremental improvement.
                              There's negativity coming from some who still want Marshall on the sidelines and taking us to F4's. Unless another coach can do that, they will not be satisfied. The ship that Marshall boarded has set sail and left port so far it can't be found by satellite tracking.

There are some others who are disappointed because KS didn't hire the guy they wanted. In order to be "right" about the hire, they feel inclined to point out (and emphasize) any perceived weakness in the current staff and team.

Expecting to have great recruits coming in when recruiting starts in April is a little unrealistic. Expecting NCAA at large bids in the era of Q1 wins should be tempered. The current formula for tourney invites overwhelmingly favors a few conferences. The Shox don't have much history at winning auto bids.

The simple fact is that PM is at a huge disadvantage compared to previous eras in getting into the tournament. The rules have changed. We may as well get used to disappointed fans and negativity on SN because matching what Marshall did with the changed environment today is foolish, but that's the standard some posters are going to judge PM by.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

There's negativity coming from some who still want Marshall on the sidelines and taking us to F4's. Unless another coach can do that, they will not be satisfied. The ship that Marshall boarded has set sail and left port so far it can't be found by satellite tracking.

There are some others who are disappointed because KS didn't hire the guy they wanted. In order to be "right" about the hire, they feel inclined to point out (and emphasize) any perceived weakness in the current staff and team.

Expecting to have great recruits coming in when recruiting starts in April is a little unrealistic. Expecting NCAA at large bids in the era of Q1 wins should be tempered. The current formula for tourney invites overwhelmingly favors a few conferences. The Shox don't have much history at winning auto bids.

The simple fact is that PM is at a huge disadvantage compared to previous eras in getting into the tournament. The rules have changed. We may as well get used to disappointed fans and negativity on SN because matching what Marshall did with the changed environment today is foolish, but that's the standard some posters are going to judge PM by.
                                As long as Mark Few is doing it at Gonzaga it will seem attainable to the non-P5.

Comment

Working...
                                X