Shockers vs Lipscomb (Monday, Nov 6th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I'm not challenging you MKR, but I'm curious where you think the improvement will come from, exactly?

I was thinking generally the same thing, then I started looking at where.....

I think we all agree it's not coming from Germany or Joy so that leaves our top 7.

Quincy should never shoot one. 6. We all like Kenny's skill set but is there any history here that makes you think he'll be a part of it? 5

Rogers, Abidde, Bell, Beverly & Ridgnal. And I get it's a small, 1 game, sample size. One more make and we're 31%. I just don't see big improvement from these 5. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we end up around 30%. No doubt Colby can shoot, but he's going to be the focus of every team we face. Bev is basically a set shooter. Bell's jumper is slow and not his strength. Isaac and Dalen do provide some upside I believe, but I don't think you can bet on it.

I do think we'll shoot a lot more 3s over the course of the season, so we better make more lol. Anyway, I'm legitimately curious where you think the improvement comes from.
    I can definitely see optimism and potential for improvement from Beverly, Ridgnal and to a lesser extent Bell. I also think Rogers will be more consistent. Just my observation. I guess we just see it from two different perspectives. I am certainly not going to throw away a season based on one game nor am I going to say their will definitely be improvement based on one game. I also tend to think the zone defense and the fact that WSU wasn't prepared for it played a factor in the poor 3 point percentage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

There's negativity coming from some who still want Marshall on the sidelines and taking us to F4's. Unless another coach can do that, they will not be satisfied. The ship that Marshall boarded has set sail and left port so far it can't be found by satellite tracking.

There are some others who are disappointed because KS didn't hire the guy they wanted. In order to be "right" about the hire, they feel inclined to point out (and emphasize) any perceived weakness in the current staff and team.
      100% agree with these two statements. Tons of this going on right now with Shocker fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

There's negativity coming from some who still want Marshall on the sidelines and taking us to F4's. Unless another coach can do that, they will not be satisfied. The ship that Marshall boarded has set sail and left port so far it can't be found by satellite tracking.

There are some others who are disappointed because KS didn't hire the guy they wanted. In order to be "right" about the hire, they feel inclined to point out (and emphasize) any perceived weakness in the current staff and team.

Expecting to have great recruits coming in when recruiting starts in April is a little unrealistic. Expecting NCAA at large bids in the era of Q1 wins should be tempered. The current formula for tourney invites overwhelmingly favors a few conferences. The Shox don't have much history at winning auto bids.

The simple fact is that PM is at a huge disadvantage compared to previous eras in getting into the tournament. The rules have changed. We may as well get used to disappointed fans and negativity on SN because matching what Marshall did with the changed environment today is foolish, but that's the standard some posters are going to judge PM by.
        You sure love backing that dump truck of excuses up any chance you get, don't ya. Already laying the red carpet of "It's not his fault".

MWC conference (our peer level conference) got 4 bids last year. Both the AAC and the WCC got 2.

Memphis is having no problem recruiting with all those disadvantages. Houston had no problems in the AAC either.

But I guess according to you, we should just accept our place, don't judge on results as long as he "does his best" because he's set up for failure. Just let him collect his paycheck without criticism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

You sure love backing that dump truck of excuses up any chance you get, don't ya. Already laying the red carpet of "It's not his fault".

MWC conference (our peer level conference) got 4 bids last year. Both the AAC and the WCC got 2.

Memphis is having no problem recruiting with all those disadvantages. Houston had no problems in the AAC either.

But I guess according to you, we should just accept our place, don't judge on results as long as he "does his best" because he's set up for failure. Just let him collect his paycheck without criticism.
          I don't think you can compare Memphis recruiting to WSU. What advantages does WSU have over Memphis?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I don't think you can compare Memphis recruiting to WSU. What advantages does WSU have over Memphis?
            They are literally in the same conference. Their coach is a good recruiter. Why CAN'T you compare the two?

Comment

They are literally in the same conference. Their coach is a good recruiter. Why CAN'T you compare the two?
              Like I said, what advantages does WSU have over Memphis?

Memphis has a major corporation backing their NIL deals, they play in an NBA arena, their coach is one of the most popular NBA players of all time, celebrities/NBA players regularly stopping into practice/games, exclusive Nike deal with Memphis colorways, and more recent success. What does WSU have that comes close to topping any of those things?

Comment

• Mils first fall class looks pretty good right now.

Give hime a at least a full true recruiting cycle before deciding he can't get anyone here.
                The Assman

Comment

• Optimism on Paul Mills and the program - for sure

Optimism on this roster - not really

Not hard to separate the two, and I think most who are pumping the brakes on this team's capabilities for this season feel the same way.

I also think to express dismay with the job that Mills has done so far is pretty short-sighted, for some reasons laid out above.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Memphis has a major corporation backing their NIL deals, they play in an NBA arena, their coach is one of the most popular NBA players of all time, celebrities/NBA players regularly stopping into practice/games, exclusive Nike deal with Memphis colorways, and more recent success. What does WSU have that comes close to topping any of those things?
                    *crickets*
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Most of those are due to ... the coach. Which is the core of this. Penny brought excitement to their program that wasn't there under past coaches. Part of Mills job is to bring excitement and get NIL going (also part of the ADs job) among all the other thigns. I don't get the defeatist attitude of so many fans. Oh boo hoo, we will never be able to compete because (insert 1 of 20938430924 excuses here). Either we compete or we don't. If we aren't comparable to a team in our conference that's on the leadership in the program. We need to stop making excuses and figure out how to get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Mils first fall class looks pretty good right now.

Give hime a at least a full true recruiting cycle before deciding he can't get anyone here.
                        Yes, next recruiting cycle does look better .. so far at least. Its really hard to know until we know how many players jump into the portal lol.

Comment

One thing against Memphis (and Penny) for future truly talented players is: Who, with that level of talent on their teams, have done less with so much regularity than Penny has with Memphis?

Comment

Yes, next recruiting cycle does look better .. so far at least. Its really hard to know until we know how many players jump into the portal lol.
                            According to some, they'd be better off if some of these players do.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

One thing against Memphis (and Penny) for future truly talented players is: Who, with that level of talent on their teams, have done less with so much regularity than Penny has with Memphis?
                              100% agree with that. Unfortunately, his "underachieving" has still resulted in them demolishing us and getting to the tourney when we don't

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                Mils first fall class looks pretty good right now.

Guys just stop pointing fingers at HCPM and this recruiting shiit.
                                He recruited and signed Pohto didn't he? I know Pohto is not going to tear up the league, but how would this team look without him?
                                Probably the thinnest team in the country!
                                As in zero depth!

Believe when I say KP had packed his bags and was halfway out of Doodah when HCPM sat down with him and had a chat.
                                That is what I call a recruiting bonanza!

The two dudes coming in next year can play and play right away.

Those of you who still harbor dreams of FHCGM coming back needs to put down the pipe.
                                He is gone, gone and gone!

Get behind this coach and his staff. Guy knows what the hell he is doing and has hired the right asst coaches to help him get the job done.

That is all.
                                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                                X