Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    Not getting anything on the radio
    Shocker...huh?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      Not getting anything on the radio
      Same old same old

Comment

Are they still doing the pregame show on the radio?

Comment

No pre-game on the radio broadcast?

Comment

Just came on. Technical issues.

Comment

Available on Shocker HD streamsing: https://goshockers.com/watch/?Live=5205&type=Live

Comment

Why do men’s games go on an 80s radio station, while the women’s games are on KFH, an actual sports station? That perplexed me.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

73 - 52 after Mills pulls the troops off and holds the score down.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Why do men’s games go on an 80s radio station, while the women’s games are on KFH, an actual sports station? That perplexed me.
                    97.5 -- 250 watts
                    103.7 -- 98,000 watts

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Available on Shocker HD streamsing: https://goshockers.com/watch/?Live=5205&type=Live
                      Seriously, why can't they just show the in house Jumbotron feed here? Would that be that difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        RH: MILLS EXPECTS TO PLAY MANY COMBINATIONS - THREE THINGS TO WATCH

Paul Mills is the coach of a new coaching staff. Five of the top six scorers are gone and one Shocker (center Kenny Pohto) who started more than 10 games is back. This is Wichita State basketball's biggest remake since the departure of coach Mark Turgeon and the arrival of Gregg Marshall after the 2006-07 season.

What to watch

An emphasis on fundamentals and execution

The Shockers aren't going to overwhelm most opponents with athletic ability. Practices are heavy on details – the colored tape on the floor shows them where to be during drills – accountability and hustle.

Measure this team by watching the plan unfold and the Shockers developing good habits running the offense, defending and playing hard. Watch how the Shockers sprint through cuts, chase rebounds and take charges. The coaching staff is grading them on those plays.

"We need to be the best in the world at doing simple," Mills said. "Let's just dominate the simple."

That means items such as closing out on shooters, passing to the right spot to set up teammates, setting picks or defending screens with proper footwork.

Who handles the ball?

As Wichita State waits on NCAA clearance point guard Bijan Cortes (as well as wing Ronnie DeGray III), ball-handling duties will fall to several Shockers.

Junior Xavier Bell started nine games last season and Craig Porter Jr., now in the NBA, did most of the lead guard duties. Senior Colby Rogers sat out last season after transferring from Siena. Junior Harlond Beverly, a transfer from Miami, played in 91 games and started 21 over his three-plus seasons with the Hurricanes.

And don't forget center Kenny Pohto, a willing and clever passer from the perimeter. Last season's team had success when running the offense through Pohto, who averaged 2.4 assists in 18 American Athletic Conference games.

Mills expects to use Bell as a point guard who can put pressure on defenders with his drives to the basket and post scoring. Bell earned All-State honors as a receiver at Andover Central and that background is useful.

"It's new for (Bell)," Mills said. "He's a really physical guard. He can just go push down and go make physical plays that a lot of guards at that spot can't. I love the fact that he played football, because you can tell that level of physicality."

Expect Rogers to have the ball in his hands often, both starting the offense and as a shooter.

Rogers, over his first 24 practices, made 46 percent of his three-point shots and, Mills said, compiled a positive assist-to-turnover ratio. Mills compared him favorably at shooting off dribbles with Max Abmas, a star at ORU and now at Texas.

"Very good in pick-and-roll reads," Mills said. "(Rogers) knows how to play pick-and-roll as a ball-handler."

How does the rotation work out?

Mills said Rogers and Pohto are likely in the starting lineup and veterans such as Bell, Beverly and forward Dalen Ridgnal will play plenty of minutes. The point of the exhibition is to experiment and see who steps up in front of a crowd and against a different opponent.

"You have your veterans," Mills said. "Colby has emerged. He's going to be out there. I want to see, where are we in regard to execution on things we've worked on. Is there translation from the practice court? Can we get this stuff right?"

Minutes will largely depend on meeting and exceeding the coach's standard of doing things right – rebounding, pick and roll defense, cutting – 80 percent of the time.

I guess it's good that the decision on Cortes is still pending (assuming Paul Sullentrop really knows what is going on). Although, the recent MBB preview stated that the Shocks only have 10 scholarship players eligible to play in 2023-24. With Jalen Ricks departure 2 players from the remaining 12 scholarship won't be eligible to play. The only 2 that have been in question or Ronnie DeGray and Bijon Cortes. No surprise regarding Ronnie DeGray. That was a long shot from day 1. However, the lack of transparency surrounding Bijan Cortes is annoying as hell.
                        I'm guessing Cortes is not playing this year. There'd be no reason to not have him participating in the exhibition games if you even thought there was a chance he would get his eligibility.

Comment

Ballard is listed as a starter?
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Pretty rough attendance which I guess is to be expected considering exhibition and weather

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Ballard is listed as a starter?
                              Yup he's starting

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

I'm guessing Cortes is not playing this year. There'd be no reason to not have him participating in the exhibition games if you even thought there was a chance he would get his eligibility.
                                He's not eligible. He can't play in an exhibition

Comment

Working...
                                X