No announcement yet.

2023-2024 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly has some incredible penetration. If he formed an outside shot, him too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
      Beverly has some incredible penetration. If he formed an outside shot, him too.
      yeah, but he's 22, he is what he is

Comment

• I know I'm in the minority but I like Bell. He has the highest shooting percentage of any guard on our team at 44.6%. Shoots 33.3% from 3. He can create his own shot and is pretty effective at it. He isn't a pg, but that's not a knock against him, just team circumstance. His turnovers were a problem early but he is much better in recent games.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Outside of Bell, no one on the team looks or acts like they could bench press a sheet of paper. While I gripe and complain about inequity of college basketball as we know it, there is no excuse for us looking like Don Knotts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Last year Pohto finished quite well against a much tougher AAC schedule. We have witnessed him perform consistently at a high caliber for a decent stretch. The question isn't "can he", it's "why isn't he"?
            HCPM. No?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

HCPM. No?
              No. Lack of NBA point guard setting him up for success. There is a little hope in Bijan tho!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

HCPM. No?
                partly the system, sure

Comment

• KP and QB should have fine performances in the AAC. My hopes is KPs shots will be focused inside and that the easy shots rimming off lately will mostly begin riming in now. Beverly and Bell can penetrate and execute pentetrstion attempts. Much focus from our foes will be to stop Colby Rogers, but he will do fine if he doesn't force things. The 3rd to 8th slots are very much up for grabs with similar talent from several teams including us.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I like XB but he is a one dimensional player driving downhill to the basket. Problem is once he enters the paint you KNOW he is going to shoot something good or bad. He does it pretty well though. We have several players that don't see the court very well. I've harped on assists for quite awhile now. Need to start averaging north of 15 per game. If we start playing together more, space and see the court making the right passes we could finish as high as 3rd. New season starts Thursday. Go back to a 7-8 man rotation, please. Work a couple others in when the game score allows. Anything worse than a 5th place finish will be quite disheartening , for me. I think KP will be more dominant again late IF they play him with his back to the basket more. Need HB to play to his potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      I've harped on assists for quite awhile now. Need to start averaging north of 15 per game.
                      No team in Paul Mill's head coaching tenure has averaged north of 15 assist per game. Last year was the closest at 14.8. All the years before that were in the 11-13 APG range. His offense isn't one to create assists. In his 6 years the teams Assist % (i.e. percentage of made shots that came off an assist) ranked 245th, 356, 327, 311, 181, 193 in reverse chronological order. So the longer his system was in place, the lower the assists went for the most part. For comparison, all the years 3G was here, Assist% was mainly Top 100 with quite a few closer to Top 50 (and 2018 was 3rd). Keep in mind that raw assist numbers for HCPM are helped because his offense is a MUCH faster paced .. there are more possessions in his games.

His system is one that generates movements in an attempt to get matchups they want to exploit, then they let that player go one on one. It generates matchups and not shots. If he's going to continue to run this offense, we need an entirely different skill set of players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

No team in Paul Mill's head coaching tenure has averaged north of 15 assist per game. Last year was the closest at 14.8. All the years before that were in the 11-13 APG range. His offense isn't one to create assists. In his 6 years the teams Assist % (i.e. percentage of made shots that came off an assist) ranked 245th, 356, 327, 311, 181, 193 in reverse chronological order. So the longer his system was in place, the lower the assists went for the most part. For comparison, all the years 3G was here, Assist% was mainly Top 100 with quite a few closer to Top 50 (and 2018 was 3rd). Keep in mind that raw assist numbers for HCPM are helped because his offense is a MUCH faster paced .. there are more possessions in his games.

His system is one that generates movements in an attempt to get matchups they want to exploit, then they let that player go one on one. It generates matchups and not shots. If he's going to continue to run this offense, we need an entirely different skill set of players.
                        This is good stuff.

my hope is that this group can learn the system well enough that PM can start plugging in new pieces next year and the uptick will be faster. This summer there was no one on the team that understood the system to run it in pick ups. Next year there should be a core that can start teaching the core principles of the system as soon as the new guys set foot on campus.

my worry is that it’s too complex to teach to brand new faces every year and if we can’t retain (and I mean we as NIL funders) players we will see slow starts every season.

the first 14 minutes of the game, and really the first half, gave me great hope. They never led but they gave the #2 team in the country all they wanted. That alone was enough to prove that the system CAN work. Yes, KU let up at the end, and those boys were totally out matched athletically except down low, but they held their own longer than I thought they would.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• From years 2008-09 thru 2015-16, WSU average on assists reached 15+ one time, 14+ two times, and 13+ 5 times. Not sure where needing 15 assists a season is coming from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            First 6 seasons as head coach assists/game comparison ....

Paul Mills (ORU):
                            Average: 13.35/game

Scott Drew (Baylor -- throwing out one season at Valpraiso):
                            Average: 12.46/game
                            If you instead want to include the single year he was at Valpraiso then the average is: 13.25/game

Gregg Marshall (Winthrop):
                            Average: 12.73/game

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              From years 2008-09 thru 2015-16, WSU average on assists reached 15+ one time, 14+ two times, and 13+ 5 times. Not sure where needing 15 assists a season is coming from.
                              Assist % is a better indicator. As mentioned above, HCPM plays at very fast pace compared to 3Gs teams. So if you play at a fast pace, you will by default get more raw assists because you have more possessions. The 15 assists was definitely a random pick by them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

First 6 seasons as head coach assists/game comparison ....

Paul Mills (ORU):
                                Average: 13.35/game

Scott Drew (Baylor -- throwing out one season at Valpraiso):
                                Average: 12.46/game
                                If you instead want to include the single year he was at Valpraiso then the average is: 13.25/game

Gregg Marshall (Winthrop):
                                Average: 12.73/game
                                Like stated above. Assists% is a better indicator due to the drastic difference in pace between HCPM and HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X