Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

He was making $500k at ORU. No idea about bonuses or incentives.
    My completely worthless speculation is that he will start at around $1 mil per for two years, then a bump to $1.25 for two, then $1.5 for one. Not including incentives. If he proves successful (NCAA tourney birth) in years 2 or 3, the inevitable restructuring will occur. It also wouldn't surprise me if some or all of those numbers are low by a quarter to half a mil.

The almost more important detail, as we've learned, is how the buyout will be structured.

Comment

• I will be stunned if we're going on the cheap. This is an experienced D1 coach, 6 years running a program, more than a dozen as an assistant. If it's less than 1.4/5 I will be very surprised.

For crying out loud, we're paying the women's coach 400K+ to gross about $12.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I will be stunned if we're going on the cheap. This is an experienced D1 coach, 6 years running a program, more than a dozen as an assistant. If it's less than 1.4/5 I will be very surprised.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I will be stunned if we're going on the cheap. This is an experienced D1 coach, 6 years running a program, more than a dozen as an assistant. If it's less than 1.4/5 I will be very surprised.

I did give myself a +50% margin of error. After all, I believe in precision.

Comment

we're paying the women's coach 400K+
            Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Why?
              We'll give you one guess.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Why?
                Exactly.

Comment

Compared to our other options, Mills was the nearly the cheapest. But the real question isn't the dollar figure, but the time. It would be ludicrous to offer a five-year deal. The primary issue with Brown is that we gave a long contract after a one year performance just because he won his league and went to the tournament. Repeating that by giving Mills a long contract just after his first time winning his league would look insane. I could see an option to extend for much more money past 2 years, but five-years guaranteed would not give me a good impression of Saal.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Compared to our other options, Mills was the nearly the cheapest. But the real question isn't the dollar figure, but the time. It would be ludicrous to offer a five-year deal. The primary issue with Brown is that we gave a long contract after a one year performance just because he won his league and went to the tournament. Repeating that by giving Mills a long contract just after his first time winning his league would look insane. I could see an option to extend for much more money past 2 years, but five-years guaranteed would not give me a good impression of Saal.
                      Problem was the guarantee, not the number of years. I'll bet it's 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Good luck recruiting players with a coach on a two year contract. No player with any substantial other offer would come to WSU without a coach contract of at least 4-5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Good luck recruiting players with a coach on a two year contract. No player with any substantial other offer would come to WSU without a coach contract of at least 4-5 years.
                          No kidding....a comment like that kind of disqualifies you ( CBB_Fan ) from any future legitimate discussions regarding coaching, contracts or basketball in general.

No program above Clown Show level is hiring a new coach for less than 4 years and the VAST majority are 5+.

Comment

• Length isn't as important as buyout structure. But we will be off all the current severance payments by year 3 anyways.

Comment

• CBB generally doesn’t have a clue about, well, anything.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

No kidding....a comment like that kind of disqualifies you ( CBB_Fan ) from any future legitimate discussions regarding coaching, contracts or basketball in general.

No program above Clown Show level is hiring a new coach for less than 4 years and the VAST majority are 5+.
                                We are a clown show. How many schools in the country are paying three coaches? If Mills has five guaranteed years, it is a ridiculous showing by our AD.

I repeat, we are only in this mess because we kept giving long guaranteed contracts. With Marshall, that was earned and appropriate. It was not for Brown. Mills has a few more years as a head coach, but only one great regular season showing.

Comment

Working...
                                X