Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    Some ORU fans this this is a lateral move for HCPM...I mean I know every fan base has an inflated sense of their program...but really?
    Yeah, I've seen people say that about Tobin Anderson to Iona too. That's a step up to a lesser extent - Iona has more resources by a mile but is still in a one-bid league.

Three teams from the conference as it is constituted for next year either made the tournament (Memphis, FAU) or should have made it (North Texas). HUGE difference from the Summit League.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      Some ORU fans this this is a lateral move for HCPM...I mean I know every fan base has an inflated sense of their program...but really?
      It’s called the Drake Syndrome.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

I got one buddy who is pretty good at coaching lists. Has pretty much nailed evaluating successful and unsuccessful hires in Basketball and Baseball over the past 20+ years. For instance, he was hot on FHCGM two years prior to MT leaving (he was actively rooting for MT to take the OU gig out of fear FHCGM wouldn’t stay at Winthrop another year).

All I can say was that Paul Mills was in his top tier of candidates for the WSU. Differentiating across top tier candidates is hard without being in the interviews so who knows if he was the best available, but Paul definitely had the credentials to be one of WSU’s first calls.

I think there is a lot to be excited about. He is competitive, he is strategic (leaving 9 scholarships open in year 1 / initially building a program to win the league instead of beating power fives), he has been part of two successful program builds, he has gone through the head coaching learning curve (which is steep), he knows how to recruit the most fertile geographically close recruiting territories, he can identify under values high-school talent.

The last trait is the most exciting - NIL gives WSU a chance to be highly competitive if we have:

1) Fantastic Talent Evaluation

2) Great Recruiting

3) Retention NIL program

my biggest gripe with IB was the short term recruiting vs. long term program building. I am hopeful Wichita’s $$$ and his strategic vision sync up to create the monster PROGRAM we all want.

Reading thoughts like these from Shockernet posters I respect has me more jazzed on Mills.

To kind of overlap what you said, there is one thing for certain: no matter who we have as head coach, he depends on fan support and some NIL bags. That's up to all of us.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I don't want to sound mean but honestly I'm excited from the sole fact it won't be the status quo and IB next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So far, he's the only evidence as to why PM has been "successful"
            Still waiting for you to provide anything of substance that backs up your negativity. You have replied to nearly every national and local media report about Mills with basically the same tweet. Every post on here has been the same combination of words. Any time anyone asks you why you think the way you do, you either don't reply or just say "he wasn't on my list".

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

A coaching staff has to have a chemistry and cohesiveness. That's why HCPM has to choose his own assistants. Maybe he does pick Pierre, and maybe not. But it should be his choice.
              This doesn't answer my question as to why BostonWu disagreed when I said I'd like to see Butch Pierre stick around. I said nothing about HCPM needing to keep BP as I know that is his choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm fine if he does that as well but I am curious as to why you wouldn't want Butch Pierre back? He seems like a strong recruiter.
                I simply want PM to have free reign on his coaching staff. Coaches have to gel regardless of track records.

Comment

• >>>>> ******* trigger warning! <<<<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

And you've seen the ORU Honor Code. Good luck getting a basketball recruit to buy into that, even if they are religious.

If he can recruit to ORU with the limitations he has there, I'll be anxious to see what he can do here.
                    For real. If I’m a young student athlete I can give up the liquor, the weed, the swearing, and the tobacco. But I am gonna **** as many coeds as humanly possible. Wilt Chamberlain numbers.

There’s a reason BYU has married players.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      >>>>> ******* trigger warning! <<<<<

Ok. After that I am firmly in the GREAT HIRE column. Absolutely great! I like the fire and the don't take S from nobody attitude.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Ok. After that I am firmly in the GREAT HIRE column. Absolutely great! I like the fire and the don't take S from nobody attitude.
                        "I would, but I'm not wearing any panties."

Comment

• "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Incidentally, regarding the possibility of Abmas coming with Mills, according to the ORU board Springmann is the one who spotted and recruited Abmas, and there is great loyalty there. Also, when Springmann was at Texas, he was the coach who recruited Kevin Durant.

Comment

• I hope he brings in a whole new coaching staff. I do think it would be cool if Okon stayed as the DOBO

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

This doesn't answer my question as to why BostonWu disagreed when I said I'd like to see Butch Pierre stick around. I said nothing about HCPM needing to keep BP as I know that is his choice.
                                Usually, the new coach keeps someone from the past. Pierre does have some recruiting contacts from the same area as Mills (Texas and Southern area), but the SE contacts that Tyson Waterman has could prove valuable. At the end of the day, Mills should have some idea as to what is valuable for the coaching staff. GM didn't keep anyone from Turgeon's previous staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X