No announcement yet.

Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoa, whoa. Are some of you saying Mills adopted a bare cupboard? He adopted Rogers, the best player on this year's team who had he been able to play last year, would probably been #1 in minutes and scoring. He adopted Pohto, who started and was 4th in minutes last year. He also has turned Ballard and Abidde into very serviceable players. While I may have had questions about Mills (mostly because I probably had too lofty a hope of who we could hire), he is miles and miles better than Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      Whoa, whoa. Are some of you saying Mills adopted a bare cupboard? He adopted Rogers, the best player on this year's team who had he been able to play last year, would probably been #1 in minutes and scoring. He adopted Pohto, who started and was 4th in minutes last year. He also has turned Ballard and Abidde into very serviceable players. While I may have had questions about Mills (mostly because I probably had too lofty a hope of who we could hire), he is miles and miles better than Brown.
      There were dishes in the cupboard but they were paper plates for the most part.
      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

There were dishes in the cupboard but they were paper plates for the most part.
        One piece of fine china, a cereal bowl, then a stack of clearance thanksgiving paper plates that fell behind the corner spinner

Comment

• Turg’s cupboard : Terrell Benton, OJ Robinson, Troy Mack, Willie Davis, Michael Phillips

GGG’S cupboard : Gal, Cooz, Matty B, Thomason, redshirt Fr JT Dudley

or HCPM’s cupboard?

deliberate…

Comment

• From a guard standpoint, Marshall was gifted two Shocker favorites and a guy who saw some NBA minutes. I would take them then over Bell and Rogers now. But when it comes to post players, Mills got the better gift. And he is likely going to finish better than Marshall's first season.

Comment

• Marshall's first team was 1-3 in OT games. He lost another six games by a combined 16 points, and Matty B went down with a concussion for a third of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

You're reading what you want to because you have an agenda against him.
                lol. If I had an agenda against him, I'd put him on ignore like a puss.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• stickboy has no sense of situational awareness at all. He was probably in diapers when Marshall took over and has never experienced the downs of the program. So for him, he expects anybody who takes over the coaching position to perform miracles and turn IB's garbage mess into a top 25 team in 8 months.

He's constantly running into circles and even his own circles as he admits that the team is better than he thought they'd be right now but is not satisfied with the coach. Does that make any sort of rational sense? Guy has no sense of patience and time at all.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Mills getting Rogers was a blessing. Getting Ballard, Abidde, and Bell and what they've done this year compared to last year is getting lemons and making lemonade.

Germany was a swing and a miss. Cortes was still eligible when he committed. Mills honored his offer when grades from OU came out and it was learned that Cortes wasn't eligible. I think the situation with Abmas possibly following Mills was a factor in not getting a commit from another PG when there were still some quality PG's in the portal.

With the late start on contacting players in the portal Mills ended up going after a couple of Fr prospects.

Pipkin and Williams look like rock stars compared to last year's recruiting class. A new coach hired in April isn't going to find players like that still available.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Cortes was still eligible when he committed. Mills honored his offer when grades from OU came out and it was learned that Cortes wasn't eligible.
                      Did you hear that somewhere or is that your guess at what happened

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                        Turg’s cupboard : Terrell Benton, OJ Robinson, Troy Mack, Willie Davis, Michael Phillips

GGG’S cupboard : Gal, Cooz, Matty B, Thomason, redshirt Fr JT Dudley

or HCPM’s cupboard?

deliberate…
                        Turg's cupboard: Previous year / first year 9-19 record -- Benton 12 ppg bench SO/ 12.8 ppg JR (considered off the bench as SR), Robinson 4.6 ppg JR/ 8.9 ppg as SR, Mack 3.6 ppg JR/ 6.6 ppg as SR, Davis 3.6 ppp bench SO/ 4.0 ppp JR off the bench, Phillips 3.8 ppg bench JR/ 4.3 ppp starter SR. No Stars here with Benton the best.

GGG's cupboard: Previous year / first year 11-20 record -- Gal 4.0 ppg FR / 9.3 ppg SO, Cooz 11.8 ppg JR / 13.4 ppg SR, Matty B 6.1 ppg Jr / 12.0 ppg SR, Thomason 6.1 ppg JR / 9.3 ppg SR, Durley red-shirt / FR 7.0 ppg

HCPM cupboard: Previous year / first year (so far) 8-3 -- Rogers 14.1 ppg 3rd year SO / 17.3 ppg 4th JR, Bell 11.0 ppg 2nd year FR / 4.0 ppg 3rd year SO / 14.9 ppg 4th year JR, Pohto 8.7 ppg SO / 12.3 ppg JR, Ballard 2.1 ppg 2.1 rpg 3rd year SO / 6.5 ppg 6.9 rpg 4th year JR, Abidde 2.4 ppg FR / 6.2 ppg SO.

Turg's 5 returning players prior year ppg avg total 27.6, 1st year ppg avg total 36.6. Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 13 years. Lost 3 of 5 as seniors for the following year.

GGG's 5 returning players prior ppg avg total 28.0, 1st year ppg avg total 51.0. Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 11 years.. Lost 3 of 5 as seniors the following year.

HCPM 5 returning players prior ppg avg total 31.3, 1st year ppg avg total 57.2 (so far). Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 12 years (counting extra covid year if any). None of these players are lost as seniors.

There is no dis-advantage that Mills has to Turg or 3G in number of experienced players and Mills has the highest returning ppg. Their number of years of experience is also very comparable. Mills does not have to lose anyone in his 2nd year like the other two coaches.

Comment

• The "data" will ALWAYS look good or bad subjectively and objectively. It has its value and place absolutely...but will always be in the eyes of the beholder. Through the lens of human bias and opinions an outcome will prevail. How true the outcome is depends on you.

Roll the ball out kids! That's why we play the games...
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Hold up.

Marshall had no point guards outside of 8ish games. Marshall only had Cooz, who rotated to a PB type roll and had a similar impact.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I can’t keep track of what all is happening here. But I do agree that data can’t be the only thing we look at. However, I also agree that probably the best year to compare to is last year, as we have multiple of same players, and this is a way different era with immediate eligibility of transfers compared to Marshall first year.

None of this is gonna be perfect analysis. But i think based on the eye test, we’d say we’re better this year than last. I also think that we’ve affected our data with the down slide these last 3 games or so. We’ve played downright awful, and Mills needs to correct that before this Saturday.

side note - taylor said there were some deaths in the families of several players recently? I don’t know about y’all, but if that happened to me? Basketball would be the last thing I’d care about.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Turg's cupboard: Previous year / first year 9-19 record -- Benton 12 ppg bench SO/ 12.8 ppg JR (considered off the bench as SR), Robinson 4.6 ppg JR/ 8.9 ppg as SR, Mack 3.6 ppg JR/ 6.6 ppg as SR, Davis 3.6 ppp bench SO/ 4.0 ppp JR off the bench, Phillips 3.8 ppg bench JR/ 4.3 ppp starter SR. No Stars here with Benton the best.

GGG's cupboard: Previous year / first year 11-20 record -- Gal 4.0 ppg FR / 9.3 ppg SO, Cooz 11.8 ppg JR / 13.4 ppg SR, Matty B 6.1 ppg Jr / 12.0 ppg SR, Thomason 6.1 ppg JR / 9.3 ppg SR, Durley red-shirt / FR 7.0 ppg

HCPM cupboard: Previous year / first year (so far) 8-3 -- Rogers 14.1 ppg 3rd year SO / 17.3 ppg 4th JR, Bell 11.0 ppg 2nd year FR / 4.0 ppg 3rd year SO / 14.9 ppg 4th year JR, Pohto 8.7 ppg SO / 12.3 ppg JR, Ballard 2.1 ppg 2.1 rpg 3rd year SO / 6.5 ppg 6.9 rpg 4th year JR, Abidde 2.4 ppg FR / 6.2 ppg SO.

Turg's 5 returning players prior year ppg avg total 27.6, 1st year ppg avg total 36.6. Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 13 years. Lost 3 of 5 as seniors for the following year.

GGG's 5 returning players prior ppg avg total 28.0, 1st year ppg avg total 51.0. Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 11 years.. Lost 3 of 5 as seniors the following year.

HCPM 5 returning players prior ppg avg total 31.3, 1st year ppg avg total 57.2 (so far). Years of prior playing and red-shirt experience: 12 years (counting extra covid year if any). None of these players are lost as seniors.

There is no dis-advantage that Mills has to Turg or 3G in number of experienced players and Mills has the highest returning ppg. Their number of years of experience is also very comparable. Mills does not have to lose anyone in his 2nd year like the other two coaches.
                                Outstanding comparison!
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X