X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atxshoxfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I agree. There's a lot of intelligence and ignorance at the same time going on here.
    Most of us qualify as both. I know I do.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Pretty much everybody is spot on
    I agree. There's a lot of intelligence and ignorance at the same time going on here.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Pretty much everybody is spot on

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Oh man! These Marshall posts are providing me with some great comic relief and reminding me just how much most on here don't know anything about the game of basketball from a technical standpoint. Wow. Lot's of bull junk going on in here.
    Oh, blow it out your a** Boleslaw. Reaves and Shamet couldn't get out of town any faster than they did. No one on here said that pointed to GGG being a 'bad coach.'

And Shaq wasn't the reason 8, or was it 9, players transferred out before the end of the week a few years later. Can you say red flag Boleslaw?

Leave a comment:

• shoxlax
    replied
    The 17-18 team’s problem was not offense, it was perimeter defense.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Oh man! These Marshall posts are providing me with some great comic relief and reminding me just how much most on here don't know anything about the game of basketball from a technical standpoint. Wow. Lot's of bull junk going on in here.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

If we had hired a coach other than 3G, I imagine we might have found some levels of success, but most likely not seasons like the F4 season and the one that followed. We would likely still be in the Valley would be my guess, as a decent program in a fading mid-major conference. And yes, the AAC is kind of a fading conference as well, but I'd rather be in the AAC, even as it stands now, than in the Valley.

I think what Stick says here is quite accurate in saying both things can be true. 3G's stubborn streak was a double edged sword. It is part of what fostered the successes from 2012 to 2018, but is also what led to the issues towards the end. I am glad he was our coach, he helped get the program to levels we hadn't seen in a long time. We believed. The road will be different now, and getting to the heady days of a decade ago may be difficult or even unlikely, but I do believe good days are ahead. I still believe.
    I always believed that the Marshall era was akin to catching lightening in a bottle. It was the synergy of Marshalls success and the vision of Dr Bardo that allowed the dream of the Innovative Campus to be realized. For this I am grateful to both of these men. I won't debate the pros and cons that went into the decision to fire GGG but everyone seems to forget that we had a new president at WSU that had an agenda of his own and was not going to let things go quietly. I still believe that if GGG had only said that he had made mistakes in the past and would take counseling for anger management he would still be our HC. That did not happen for reasons that only one person knows. We have a new coach and staff and a roster of players about to embark on a new season and I will be there to add my voice to the crowd. This is still MY ALMA MATER Go Shocks

Leave a comment:

• jcdshocker
    replied
    Gregg will go down as the greatest coach in Shocker Basketball history. That being said I too would not overlook the FVV impact of the 2013-17 teams. After the 2013 and especially after the 2014 season, I definitely saw a change in Gregg. He definitely had a bigger ego. But he probably earned it.

By the time the 2018 season ended, the players did not want to play for him any longer. That to me was the turning point. However, I am still down for celebrating and remembering the best era of Shocker Basketball. And, we owe that to Gregg Marshall.

Forget the IB era. I am ready and excited for the Paul Mills era to start. Will we see another F4, undefeated season, or kick KU’s @$$ sometime soon? Maybe not. But I am willing to support this current coach and the Admin as if we do have a chance to accomplish those same lofty goals.

Leave a comment:

• ShockBand
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This .. he can be the best coach we've ever had at WSU while still taking blame for some of the flaws in the program the last few years of his tenure. Both things can be true.

A lot of us would pick and choose things we wish we could change about his tenure, but i doubt a single person would trade his entire tenure for someone else.
    If we had hired a coach other than 3G, I imagine we might have found some levels of success, but most likely not seasons like the F4 season and the one that followed. We would likely still be in the Valley would be my guess, as a decent program in a fading mid-major conference. And yes, the AAC is kind of a fading conference as well, but I'd rather be in the AAC, even as it stands now, than in the Valley.

I think what Stick says here is quite accurate in saying both things can be true. 3G's stubborn streak was a double edged sword. It is part of what fostered the successes from 2012 to 2018, but is also what led to the issues towards the end. I am glad he was our coach, he helped get the program to levels we hadn't seen in a long time. We believed. The road will be different now, and getting to the heady days of a decade ago may be difficult or even unlikely, but I do believe good days are ahead. I still believe.

Leave a comment:

• Ashockalypse
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So even without the Shaq incident, you were ready to can Marshall?

Thats a complete and utter joke. Trash the guy all you want now but you never uttered a peep about him while he was here.

Top 10 teams lose all of the time in the first round. They were still a top 10 team in 2018 and was a second away from winning the conference. Made it to the NIT final 4 in 2019 and was likely to have an NCAA tourney team in 2020. Then IB took his team with his layout to the tourney in 2021. He had one “down” year, which I guess nobody is allowed to have that still resulted in a trip to New York and it still wasn’t good enough for some. You say that kind of success would never be duplicated again but then was ready to fire him for it because he was only producing at-large type teams after.

Well how how’s that worked out since he’s been gone?

Dumb.
    Thanks Fever. Finally a voice of reason. Some people here would have expected Duke to can K in the 90s when he had a couple of subpar years “trending downward”.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Thats a complete and utter joke. Trash the guy all you want now but you never uttered a peep about him while he was here.

Top 10 teams lose all of the time in the first round. They were still a top 10 team in 2018 and was a second away from winning the conference. Made it to the NIT final 4 in 2019 and was likely to have an NCAA tourney team in 2020. Then IB took his team with his layout to the tourney in 2021. He had one “down” year, which I guess nobody is allowed to have that still resulted in a trip to New York and it still wasn’t good enough for some. You say that kind of success would never be duplicated again but then was ready to fire him for it because he was only producing at-large type teams after.

Dumb.
    there were grumblings prior to the Shaq incident but it was taboo around here to speak negatively about Marshall and his system.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
    3G deserves ALL THE CREDIT in the world for his unreal run. It was just that - unreal. And many are right, it may not ever be duplicated again. WSU fans and the institution still owe him, there is no doubt.

He also deserves FAR more credit for it all falling apart than most on here are willing to give him - IMHO.
    This .. he can be the best coach we've ever had at WSU while still taking blame for some of the flaws in the program the last few years of his tenure. Both things can be true.

A lot of us would pick and choose things we wish we could change about his tenure, but i doubt a single person would trade his entire tenure for someone else.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post

How was Burton used at WSU? He was an all -conference off guard in the ACC. How was Sherfield used at WSU? He was successful at Nevada and OU, but was a dribble out the time clock player at WSU. How was Reaves used at WSU? He was used as a spot-up perimeter shooter. He transferred to OU, where he was an all-conference PG in the toughest league in D1. He's excelling in the NBA where they allow him to handle the ball and drive and dish or shoot. How was Shamet used at WSU? He was the PG. He's an often traded but steady contributor in the NBA as a perimeter shooter. Sherfield also had good minutes at OU.

Then there's Dexter Dennis, who was given last-minute winning shots from 3 as a Fr, and then couldn't hit from there again until he went to aTm.

We can celebrate the years Marshall gave us. His last few years didn't seem to match the skills of the players with the on court system. That led to player turnover.

Marshall's trajectory had turned. It was unlikely he would ever achieve the success he previously had. It was time for a change.

Dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Reaves' arm was literally falling out of its socket while he was here. He was also 30 pounds lighter than he was at Oklahoma because he was a frail and broken underclassman.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerExpress
    replied
    3G deserves ALL THE CREDIT in the world for his unreal run. It was just that - unreal. And many are right, it may not ever be duplicated again. WSU fans and the institution still owe him, there is no doubt.

He also deserves FAR more credit for it all falling apart than most on here are willing to give him - IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X