The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Just because you disagree or struggle with concepts besides "WOE IS ME THE WORLD IS AGAINST US" .. doesn't make them nonsense.

Walton i agree, we dodge a bit of a bullet there.

Pohto, we are in alignment.

Pierre - So you are saying the coach was unable to the player to come back to Wichita. That's part of re-recruiting the team. If Pierre was 100% gone no matter what, he wouldn't have waited to enter the portal until seeing who the new coach is. That's on HCPM.

Many of us, myself included, made excuses for HCIB early on. He had a lot of turmoil thrown on him and wasn't ready. HCPM purposely stepped into this situation .. knowing what WSU was, knowing about the transfer portal era, knowing about NIL. So I'm not buying excuses anymore. He's paid very well to get good players to want to play here, and to make them a winner on the floor. Period. No excuses. He has IMO 3 years to prove that (as that's when the other 2 coaches come off the payroll). Wasting 1 year because he can't recruit right away isn't a good start.
    I think if Jaron Pierre wanted to go to school at Wichita State he would have returned to Wichita after spring break.

I have no idea what Mills is supposed to do with that? Kidnap him and tie him up? If I was Mills and a kid who goes to my current school is just not showing back up… I don’t know if I want him!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I’m pretty much here as well. It’s not like I think he should be fired or anything if he doesn’t meet those expectations but I’m already asking myself “if not this year, then when?” when it comes to success. If he can’t navigate the portal this off-season then I’m assuming he won’t be able to navigate it in Year 2 or 3. Maybe he’s wanting to rely on fresh recruits but I don’t really think that’s a recipe for success due to players taking time to develop plus losing players to the portal which will 100% happen even if we’re successful.

So basically I’m fine giving him 3 years regardless of what happens but if we suck this year I don’t see us getting that much better.
      Yup, its a compounding effect. So say we suck this year and the players decide to go elsewhere for better opportunity ... do we bust out these same excuses again? Where does it end. I've seen some suggest leaving a bunch of scholarship open like he did year 1 at ORU .. that is just program suicide now IMO.

Comment

• Why don't you wait to see where we are in a year. You have no idea how well any of these guys will mesh into HCPM's system- nor do I.

Barely a month into his tenure you seem to be writing him off

HCGM made racked up a lot of wins with players most of us never heard of

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
          Why don't you wait to see where we are in a year. You have no idea how well any of these guys will mesh into HCPM's system- nor do I.

I’m not convinced HCGM keeps all those players no one had ever heard of in today’s college basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I think if Jaron Pierre wanted to go to school at Wichita State he would have returned to Wichita after spring break.

I have no idea what Mills is supposed to do with that? Kidnap him and tie him up? If I was Mills and a kid who goes to my current school is just not showing back up… I don’t know if I want him!!
            He does his job and recruits players to come here. Do you think his job is to just sit in his office and wait for players to show up? I mean, if they aren't coming to Wichita on their own .. we don't want them right? We want players that want to be here? That's the saying right? Everytime a kid second guesses his options .. lets teach him the hard lesson and cut him off completely and kick him to the door.

Coaches job is to make players want to play here and stay here. If he's not doing that consistently enough he will be a failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
              Why don't you wait to see where we are in a year. You have no idea how well any of these guys will mesh into HCPM's system- nor do I.

Never once wrote him off, but anyone that says it's going well so far has their head in the sand. If I wrote him off, I wouldn't have renewed season tickets recently.

Comment

• The majority of the players in the Portal have not signed? Many other schools are saying the same things...we are all waiting...no need to panic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Any user that posts "chicken ****" gets an auto-like out of me. Context be damned.
                  Now that is a steaming pile of horse **** right there!

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                    The majority of the players in the Portal have not signed? Many other schools are saying the same things...we are all waiting...no need to panic.
                    Which is fair. Part of the concern is either 1. The coaches are keeping so much secret that we don't know about the good players that we are in on or 2. We aren't in on any good players as most of the players that are good that we've been connected with have already signed elsewhere or have eliminated us.

Comment

No I completely agree that NIL is a very big part, but if the sources are saying we are equal or better in NIL, then its likely that the coach wasn't able to sell why he should play for him instead of another place (which, to be fair, we have disadvantages there too, but it's the coaches job to sell the advantages). That's my point.
                      Well there are sources, and there are sources. You know as well as I that many are more rumor than fact. I generally take everything post on the internet, and especially on a fan message board, with a grain of salt unless it is supported by solid evidence. Are their any official financial reports from 1st hand sources that show our Nil status in black and white?

Comment

Don’t know about you all, but if I stopped going to classes after spring break, I probably wouldn’t pass my classes. I guess he not only has to face the 2nd transfer challenge, but also maybe has an eligibility challenge.

Comment

He does his job and recruits players to come here. Do you think his job is to just sit in his office and wait for players to show up? I mean, if they aren't coming to Wichita on their own .. we don't want them right? We want players that want to be here? That's the saying right? Everytime a kid second guesses his options .. lets teach him the hard lesson and cut him off completely and kick him to the door.

Coaches job is to make players want to play here and stay here. If he's not doing that consistently enough he will be a failure.
                          lIf you think someone just ditching their school for a whole
                          semester prior to a new HC being named, then expecting that new HC to retain that kid… is the norm.

Then when he doesn’t retain said player - it’s proof he’s a poor recruiter… I just literally couldn’t disagree more. Like wholeheartedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Don’t know about you all, but if I stopped going to classes after spring break, I probably wouldn’t pass my classes. I guess he not only has to face the 2nd transfer challenge, but also maybe has an eligibility challenge.
                            Yes. This is one of SO many issues with the scenario. All of which are PAUL MILLS FAULT.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I’m not convinced HCGM keeps all those players no one had ever heard of in today’s college basketball.
                              Had not considered this, but hell yeah it's true.

Comment

lIf you think someone just ditching their school for a whole
                                semester prior to a new HC being named, then expecting that new HC to retain that kid… is the norm.

Then when he doesn’t retain said player - it’s proof he’s a poor recruiter… I just literally couldn’t disagree more. Like wholeheartedly.
                                Well he hasn't given us any reason to think he's a good recruiter yet either. Maybe he will but not retaining existing players doesn't help his case.

Comment

Working...
                                X