The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Big statement by the staff if they are thinking we might get 6 more commitments in a week. Getting a little excited
    Wonder if that last paragraph still holds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Wonder if that last paragraph still holds?
      Guessing the first domino to fall was just removed from the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by DwShock View Post
        Read the last day of messages in this thread, didn’t really learn anything. Great work ShockerNet Nation. You all never fail to disappoint.
        Never come here expecting to learn ..gotta lower your standards.

Comment

Guessing
          At least you got this part right...

Comment

All true statements. I just think the program itself is in a better position and thus has higher expectations now than when 3G took over. And to be clear, that is thanks to the amazing work that 3G did. We are more of name brand, in a better conference and just shouldn't ever be looking at 11 win seasons again. Especially when you have access to the transfer portal now.
            I don’t think we’re as big of a name as we’d like to think. We are underestimating the damage done in HCGM’s end and the slow descent under IB. I’m saying maybe a **** hair better position than when GM took over. Better facilities for sure. But the cupboard is bare. Sure it can be filled more quickly than in 2007, but now we have to pay up.

If you think we are improving on an 18 win season with a brand new team of picked over journeymen and a new coach I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Mills could be John Wooden Knight Smithson Naismith and I don’t think he gets 18 wims. This is a “to-the-studs” rebuild.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Most UT fan couldn't give a rats ass about anything associated with basketball unless it somehow interfered with spring football.
              See OU, OSU…

Comment

• This may be wishful thinking, but Mills is having a press conference tomorrow according to one of the local sports talk programs. I think the assistants are going to be available also. If WSU has the paper work, maybe Mills is going to make some announcements of commitments himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                  This may be wishful thinking, but Mills is having a press conference tomorrow according to one of the local sports talk programs. I think the assistants are going to be available also. If WSU has the paper work, maybe Mills is going to make some announcements of commitments himself.
                  Gonna make it real awkward when Abmas announces he's going to Texas 10 min before the press conference lol.

I like your idea better though ... Not sure ive ever heard of a coach doing that though.

Comment

• Just some random thoughts. I don't care if these are right or wrong - just something to consider. It appears some posters have never considered some of these.

1. Saal may have hired the absolute best coach available that he could afford. McCasland went for $3 mill. I doubt you could sniff DeVries for less than $2 mill. I keep seeing words like "disappointed", "unimpressed", etc. to describe hiring Mills. If you show up at a grocery store looking to buy some meat and all you've got in your pocket is a $5 bill, you're not going to be looking in the steak grouping. You may even be unimpressed or disappointed with the available selections of hamburger

2. If Mills and Armchair are trying to follow the rules the way the NCAA intended them to be followed, we're skewered. It seems that if every school that's ignoring every "rule" or guideline were given a post-season ban, the remaining 68 teams would all have an autobid to the tourney.

3. With all the turmoil in the athletic department at WSU and the player turnover the last 5 or so years, WSU might not look like an attractive destination. High player turnover under two consecutive coaches might look like a red flag to a lot of potential recruits.

4. Is the "honeymoon" over for some after a month because there are no 4*+ players begging to put on a Shocker uniform? Give Mills a break. He's filled 2 of 8 scholarships he needs to fill. Don't be surprised if the next 6 are at about the level of the first 2.

5. A brand new group of assistant coaches, which is the recruiting staff, has been on mighty short notice to make recruiting contacts. That's the general rule with a coaching change, K-State was an exception of monumental proportions. You wanted a coaching change - you got a coaching change. It's time to accept some of the hard facts that accompany a coaching change.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I like your thoughts above ; here are mine :

Mills and Co are definitely not following the book to a T which is good for shocker basketball :

Acy convinced Beverly to enter the portal ; hence the same day portal entry/verbal commitment that the recruiting service knew about.

both commits so far were 4 star commits (Germany’s just on ESPN). Germany was honorable mention all conference in a very good conference ; the one with all the good teams headed our way. He had double doubles against a final 4 team , against North Tx and many others.

Beverly’s freshman year average 7 points in 20 mins, equivalent to 10 points in 30 mins (in a better conference with better guards around him meaning he wasn’t one of the main shooting options). 10 points in the ACC could be 12-15 in the AAC.

K States recruiting was dog **** until very late in the summer last year.

Dont let yourself get too emotional over 1 player.
                      Last edited by LetsGoShockers2021; April 13, 2023, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• I don't think anyone on SN expected a 20+ win season next year regardless of what coach was hired. That is untill we all saw what Mills has done in the past and the thought of bringing Abmas with him. That's when most of us started to see immediate big time improvement.
                        I still think Mills will get this done, though it may take a couple of years. But I'm going to be looking at team play, player development and player retention as indicators. Sure I want wins and great tourney runs, but I'm not going to stop cheering them on if we don't get 18 wins in this first year.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
                          Mills and Co are definitely not following the book to a T which is good for shocker basketball :

Acy convinced Beverly to enter the portal ; hence the same day portal entry/verbal commitment that the recruiting service knew about.

both commits so far were 4 star commits (Germany’s just on ESPN). Germany was honorable mention all conference in a very good conference ; the one with all the good teams headed our way. He had double doubles against a final 4 team , against North Tx and many others.

Beverly’s freshman year average 7 points in 20 mins, equivalent to 10 points in 30 mins (in a better conference with better guards around him meaning he wasn’t one of the main shooting options). 10 points in the ACC could be 12-15 in the AAC.

K States recruiting was dog **** until very late in the summer last year.

Dont let yourself get too emotional over 1 player.
                          Thanks for the clarification. So, we ARE getting 4* recruits and SN'ers are still complaining because they want better players. Got it!

I'm with you on Beverly. There is some risk that his back injury might have lasting effects. It's also possible that last year was a recovery year and there are no lasting effects now.

Might be possible that Acy made a few more contacts before he was "hired", but those haven't been finalized yet.

I'm not letting anything about players get to me. I'm just tired of reading 5 pages a day of SN'ers griping because they aren't seeing things done the way they want ot see them being done. You'd think we had 5 or 6 retired D1 Athletic Directors posting here.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Thanks for the clarification. So, we ARE getting 4* recruits and SN'ers are still complaining because they want better players. Got it!

I'm with you on Beverly. There is some risk that his back injury might have lasting effects. It's also possible that last year was a recovery year and there are no lasting effects now.

Might be possible that Acy made a few more contacts before he was "hired", but those haven't been finalized yet.

I'm not letting anything about players get to me. I'm just tired of reading 5 pages a day of SN'ers griping because they aren't seeing things done the way they want ot see them being done. You'd think we had 5 or 6 retired D1 Athletic Directors posting here.
                            I like your post above my last one , great stuff ; wasn’t talking to you specifically with the don’t let 1 player get you down comment , that was for the masses.

Comment

• Abmas: "Hey I wanted to call and tell you I'm committing to WSU."
                              Texas: "Was just about to call you. We wanna raise our offer to a half million bucks. $500,000 dollars,"
                              Abmas: "I really appreciate your interest and I....................wait, what'd you say !?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Abmas: "Hey I wanted to call and tell you I'm committing to WSU."
                                Texas: "Was just about to call you. We wanna raise our offer to a half million bucks. $500,000 dollars,"
                                Abmas: "I really appreciate your interest and I....................wait, what'd you say !?!?"
                                It's not always money. Bijan Robinson got a Lambo.
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X