The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
    Was anyone surprised when they heard about Allen’s problems in Wichita or as he moved from place to place? With his obvious talents, why is he playing in a low level minor league instead of the G League or in Europe? Must be the NCAA’s fault.

The point remains that these were not slam dunk cases. They were worth taking a shot at getting a waiver, but from the outset, they were not sure things and despite WSU’s best efforts, the NCAA’s decisions were not surprising to anyone looking at the cases objectively.
    Nothing you said there makes the case that it wasn't a slam dunk case. It was. It was literally the type of thing the waiver was created for.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Lot of diversity in that group. Not that I'm being terribly serious, but dang, it almost has to be intentional when eight out of nine individuals in a department at a public university are exclusively white females.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Nothing you said there makes the case that it wasn't a slam dunk case. It was. It was literally the type of thing the waiver was created for.
        100%

Not to mention other players transferring elsewhere were getting approved for weaker cases.

Was definitely a slam dunk.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• In the past, the only time it was a slam dunk case is if the school that the player was leaving from was willing to sign the run off waiver.

Comment

• Was Teddy Allen even really and truly advocated for, or did Boatright just fill out an NCAA form and sit back wait to see what happened? Did he turn it over to our General Counsel? And they just filled out a form?

How many experts in intercollegiate athletics are sitting on our General Counsel right now?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Lot of diversity in that group. Not that I'm being terribly serious, but dang, it almost has to be intentional when eight out of nine individuals in a department at a public university are exclusively white females.
              Not to be sexist, but in the legal profession, a lot of the lower paid, government-type positions are occupied by women because they traditionally value family life over work life. Legal aid, non-profits, college counsel, etc. All admirable fields, but they typically are 40-hour workweeks (or less) and not the grind that the private sector legal positions can be.

Not that it matters, because I can just about guarantee that they probably have no hand in applying for waivers for student athletes.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

What's that have to do with KP?
                Thought I was responding to your post questioning Degrays waiver , my bad

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                  Not that it matters, because I can just about guarantee that they probably have no hand in applying for waivers for student athletes.
                  I am not 100% sure about this but I think the Compliance Department probably handles waiver applications.

I once asked Lambo how Giorgia Civita was able to get a medical redshirt waiver for a year when she had played over the maximum number of matches allowed for volleyball to qualify for a medical redshirt. He said he didn't know, Korey Torgerson handles that stuff.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 4, 2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• May not be ideal, but may be workable

C - Germany - Pohto/Ballard
                    PF - Pohto - Abidde
                    SF - Beverly - Ricks
                    SG - Rogers - Bell
                    PG - Cortes - (large empty space)

PG seems more important than PF. 2 schollies still open.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                      Do you think KU's General Counsel does?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am not 100% sure about this but I think the Compliance Department probably handles waiver applications.

I once asked Lambo how Giorgia Civita was able to get a medical redshirt waiver for a year when she had played over the maximum number of matches allowed for volleyball to qualify for a medical redshirt. He said he didn't know, Korey Torgerson handles that stuff.
                        Korey is the name that Taylor mentioned handled the waivers

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          May not be ideal, but may be workable

C - Germany - Pohto/Ballard
                          PF - Pohto - Abidde
                          SF - Beverly - Ricks
                          SG - Rogers - Bell
                          PG - Cortes - (large empty space)

PG seems more important than PF. 2 schollies still open.
                          I think PF and PG have the same depth issues. Pohto may be able to split time between C and PF, but Abidde is still a large unknown quantity. Cortes seems to be the default PG and Joy is a largely unknown quantity. . But Ricks is also a largely unknown quantify and Bell is a suspect, but known quantity. If Pohto is back and we have two 'ships left to fill, I think think PF and PG are the two targets, but could understand a CF and a CG being sought after for flexibility. Back issues are no joke and trusting Ballard to put in a lot of quality minutes seems risky. I like the Abidde upside, but trusting him to put in a good 20 minutes a game seems risky too. Though I could say the same thing for Bell and Ricks so who knows.

The roster at this point is not a strength on paper.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Not sure I would believe any Pohto rumor at this point.

if your Pohto you don’t tell anyone your coming back without committing… so this seems like a farse at this point.

Comment

• I see so many downsides to our current roster. And I’m gonna say it, I don’t like Bell, and don’t think he’s even serviceable. Either way, we have a huge need for multiple players to step up, including ricks and Abidde

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                                Hmmm. A little bird told me KP's little brother is coming to Sunrise this year and that KP is sticking around. We shall see.
                                The bird sounds smart. I thought Kenny’s brother was supposed to be here last year so that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X