Totally agree !

Comment

• Have to figure the current depth chart looks something like this:

PG - Cortes, Joy
      SG - Rogers, Bell
      SF - Beverly, Ricks
      PF - DeGray, Abidde
      C - Germany, Ballard

Based on recruiting targets (the ones we know about at least) I would suspect the coaching staff is looking to add a PG, SF/PF, and a PF/C. In my opinion all three remaining additions need to be impact players as bench depth is very suspect at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        If Pohto is coming back, last two schollies have to be a 4-man and a guard who can create shots for himself and others.
        We absolutely need a legit PF to be added and another PG that can play now. I'm still not sure what we have in Cortez, but I don't expect much of anything from Joy this year. So someone else has to be able to run the point and run it well. Cortez at least needs to be pushed.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I think Taylor's article mentioned a waiver based on his injuries. One of the "considerations for waiver" by the NCAA relates to physical and mental health.
          I figured mental health will be everyone's excuse. Everyone has anxiety and depression these days, especially when they don't like their coach, their team, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
            Have to figure the current depth chart looks something like this:

PG - Cortes, Joy
            SG - Rogers, Bell
            SF - Beverly, Ricks
            PF - DeGray, Abidde
            C - Germany, Ballard

Based on recruiting targets (the ones we know about at least) I would suspect the coaching staff is looking to add a PG, SF/PF, and a PF/C. In my opinion all three remaining additions need to be impact players as bench depth is very suspect at the moment.
            Odds are, DeGray won't be playing next year. So a PF is absolutely necessary. So is another PF/C type on top of that and hopefully that can be Pohto. Unless they expect Joy to be a factor right away, we absolutely need a play now PG.

Though looking at your depth chart, are depth sucks.

PG - Cortes is a bit unknown and Joy is a foreign PG with no idea how he will adapt in year one. No warm and fuzzies there.
            SG - Rogers has a reputation, though we haven't seen anything yet. Bell is underwhelming and his ceiling is as an okay backup, but he hasn't hit that ceiling yet.
            SF - Beverly can play D, but is a mixed bag with poor percentages on offense. Ricks has done nothing as of yet.
            PF - DeGray most likely will have to sit. Abidde has a high ceiling but hasn't come close to touching it in his limited PT.
            C - Germany could be solid but not great. Ballard is a project that can have a defensive presence if his back heals.

Hell, even our starting lineup doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The backups even worse. A healthy Ballard might be the best of the bunch.

There's a lot of work to still be done.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• "a healthy Ballard" What that mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                "a healthy Ballard" What that mean?
                He missed most of last season with a back injury. I think WSU is applying for a medical redshirt, even though he played slightly more than the maximum number of games to qualify.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Odds are, DeGray won't be playing next year. So a PF is absolutely necessary. So is another PF/C type on top of that and hopefully that can be Pohto. Unless they expect Joy to be a factor right away, we absolutely need a play now PG.

Though looking at your depth chart, are depth sucks.

PG - Cortes is a bit unknown and Joy is a foreign PG with no idea how he will adapt in year one. No warm and fuzzies there.
                  SG - Rogers has a reputation, though we haven't seen anything yet. Bell is underwhelming and his ceiling is as an okay backup, but he hasn't hit that ceiling yet.
                  SF - Beverly can play D, but is a mixed bag with poor percentages on offense. Ricks has done nothing as of yet.
                  PF - DeGray most likely will have to sit. Abidde has a high ceiling but hasn't come close to touching it in his limited PT.
                  C - Germany could be solid but not great. Ballard is a project that can have a defensive presence if his back heals.

Hell, even our starting lineup doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The backups even worse. A healthy Ballard might be the best of the bunch.

There's a lot of work to still be done.
                  Definitely agree that PG and PF are the priorities. I wouldn't mind taking a bonafide PG, Pohto, and a hybrid SF/PF for the last scholarship. At this point I think we need to see what Ricks and Abidde can contribute since this will be their third year in the program. I won't be happy if Cortes is the only PG on the roster with D1 experience.

Comment

• If Casper ends up at Sunrise, it will be interesting to see how he does. The little bit of video I've seen on him shows some promise. Decent handles. Nice, quick release. Gets after it on D. I haven't seen any video of his time at Hamilton this past year though. I'd definitely like to see him against other American prep players over some of the Euro teams I've seen video from. I hope he ends up at SCA and we keep an eye on him.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Welcome to WSU, Coach Mills -- Waiver Suppression University.

Which of WSU's General Counsel specializes in intercollegiate athletics? 3 of the 6 Counsel members at WSU doesn't even have a bio on the General Counsel staff page. That's embarrassing.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        Casper looks like Ricky Council IV...
                        Last edited by WstateU; May 4, 2023, 11:13 AM.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                          I'm just glad HCPM respects the annual WSU tradition of pinning hope on a longshot waiver from the NCAA.
                          Yeah.

From Taylor's article: “a demonstrated physical injury that necessitated the student’s transfer”.

I'm not sure how a sprain necessitates a transfer. I would think the injury would have to be so major the player had to withdraw from school to return home for care.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Yeah.

From Taylor's article: “a demonstrated physical injury that necessitated the student’s transfer”.

I'm not sure how a sprain necessitates a transfer. I would think the injury would have to be so major the player had to withdraw from school to return home for care.
                            Can you imagine the mental health crisis it caused him, knowing that his entire professional career might have come to a complete collapse in one sudden moment? This is serious stuff. Even his short term future NIL was in severe jeopardy. Students need food.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Welcome to WSU, Coach Mills -- Waiver Suppression University.

Which of WSU's General Counsel specializes in intercollegiate athletics? 3 of the 6 Counsel members at WSU doesn't even have a bio on the General Counsel staff page. That's embarrassing.
                              Lot of diversity in that group. Not that I'm being terribly serious, but dang, it almost has to be intentional when eight out of nine individuals in a department at a public university are exclusively white females.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

This would be the biggest addition yet
                                Go Re read Taylors article if you have a minute. He has updated it with some info regarding the waiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X