No announcement yet.

Director of Athletics Kevin Saal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On that, see if you can find the recent clip of OSU’s coach Boyton on NIL and recruiting, and how it compares to when he recruited Cade Cunningham. If I was tech savvy enough, I would find it and paste it. Pretty much tells the story, as if we didn’t already know what the story is.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
      On that, see if you can find the recent clip of OSU’s coach Boyton on NIL and recruiting, and how it compares to when he recruited Cade Cunningham. If I was tech savvy enough, I would find it and paste it. Pretty much tells the story, as if we didn’t already know what the story is.
      This one?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

My biggest issue is Saal's entire premise of building things the right way, taking time, practicing patience...yada yada yada. My concern is that's a completely outdated viewpoint. It might work at Murray State in which less talent commands less demands for NIL funds and relationships will retain most players. Not sure that works for top 50 programs.
        Maybe he means exactly what he says. And if that's the case, it sounds like NIL will be an afterthought -- which is the impression everybody has right now.

Another thing I didn't like was his preaching to US about patience. Nobody in here expects 20 wins, we just want to see the kids play hard and improve gradually. Shocker fans are some of the most knowledgeable in the world (I don't include myself in that statistic any longer unfortunately). We know good basketball, we understand patience. We also recognize incompetence, laziness, and politispeak.

If we're to glean any hidden message from his Mike Krzyzewski anecdote, it's fasten your seatbelts kids. Paul has all the room he needs to "turn this ship around".

And stop complaining Shocker fans!!! You come from very humble beginnings...

It's like he thinks we should be content starting back from ground zero. Oh, and be VERY thankful for the best HS recruiting in 30 years...

Better keep the billboard guy on speed dial. Just in case...

Comment

• Weird times when the forum that was primarily responsible for the public outcry that lead to firing the previous AD turns on the new AD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
            Again. Back to the NIL issue. How do we help? We have no idea? There is literally no communication on how the fans can help. I don't understand this at all.
            In the old days the boosters passed around money after a big win, at least that's what I was told firsthand about Oklahoma football.

What can you do now at WSU? Hand out money after a win? I don't know that's permissible.

Have a WSU women's volleyball or softball car wash and tip, like, really big on a hot sunny day? That may be OK.

Have the men's basketball team over to change light bulbs in an unusually high ceiling after a big Shocker win, and, again, tip big? May be permissible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
              Again. Back to the NIL issue. How do we help? We have no idea? There is literally no communication on how the fans can help. I don't understand this at all.
              Why do you need communication on "how can fans help?". It is pretty simple. Fans need to buy season tickets, pay their SASO and then contribute all their remaining money available to NIL.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

This one?

"At least 6 schools in the B12 paying greater than $2M/yr on their roster"

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                  Weird times when the forum that was primarily responsible for the public outcry that lead to firing the previous AD turns on the new AD.
                  How? There's certain expectations with new hires. I expected the new AD would bring transparency and a general vision to NIL. That's the lifeblood these days and so far he's failed miserably to even address it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why do you need communication on "how can fans help?". It is pretty simple. Fans need to buy season tickets, pay their SASO and then contribute all their remaining money available to NIL.
                    So you're a donor and don't care to know what's happening with your donation, how much is in the kitty, and what the vision is?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

How? There's certain expectations with new hires. I expected the new AD would bring transparency and a general vision to NIL. That's the lifeblood these days and so far he's failed miserably to even address it.
                      Didn't he preach transparency when he was hired?
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                        Weird times when the forum that was primarily responsible for the public outcry that lead to firing the previous AD turns on the new AD.
                        The last guy got canned because he was a secretive, incompetent, and spiteful little ****.

I don't think Kevin is incompetent, but he's flirting with wearing a few other unsavory titles.

Just look us in the eye and level with us dude. Don't be defensive. That's so weak.

And if you're gonna stretch the truth, do it like this: "I'm gonna drag this program back to national prominence - kicking and screaming if I have to. And if I fail, I'll be the first to hand in my resignation. Shocker fans DESERVE a winner!"

That's how you get a fanbase to follow you off a cliff.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

This one?

That’s one, but there is another one…perhaps on CBS Sports. Either way, it’s roughly the same. Thanks WStateU!

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Have a WSU women's volleyball car wash and tip, like, really big on a hot sunny day? That may be OK.

I kinda like his idea.

Comment

You want to just throw money at something that you have no idea what the process is to be? Most people don't have the money to just throw money at an unknown. You must have a lot more resources than the "farmers" and "factory workers" of Wichita (KS's words...not mine).

Season ticket holder here and donor...I am greatly disappointed in the quality of play on our floor. It has to do with skill and desire. I'm SICK of hearing "We didn't have the right energy"..."We didn't have the right focus". This has been going on for years. I have been a Shocker fan for over 40 years but, regarding the hearts (and minds) of the players, I'm seeing bad discipline and poor skill.

We are being out recruited and not developing players for a few years as well. I also think the HCGM matter (and I know he's not coming back...and I don't want him to come back) was handled so badly. The university has not communicated anything well to the donors.

Sunshine pumping is going on all over the place. It's sickening to those who have backed this program for so long. I will continue to support the Shockers...but, if they want even more of my money, the university has to step up and do some things to earn it. Alas, the university is looking at major budget cuts that affects so many departments. I'm starting to think I should put my money elsewhere to help out some of those areas....areas where there is success.

The tone from the Athletic Director is, indeed, defensive and, I think, condescending. Saying we are "farmers" (and I grew up one) and whatever else, was just sad. It has NOTHING to do with our background...it has EVERYTHING in doing the right things and striving only for excellence...every second of our lives. If you have to CHANGE a culture to get there, you have a problem with your culture to begin with.

And to answer his question, NO...you are not productive enough for me to support the NIL (again, something that few of us know anything about...other than being requested to fund it). What has the athletic department done to bring an entertaining product to the floor? The games are poorly played...the in-game features are stupid (half times have been better...especially when the band plays...at least it shows off areas of the university).

These players are wanting to be paid by an NIL? EARN IT. You want to be "treated like professionals"? EARN IT. We have younger people in our populations who are giving so much for their cities, states, and country. That should be rewarded. Do the right things and show excellence...You will then be rewarded greatly...and not just by money.
                              Last edited by Singeril; February 20, 2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I believe that those funds DO NOT go directly to the athletes. That is what NIL is about.

Comment

Working...
                                X