Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    CBB Fan:

If you read my earlier post therein lies my concern. They will have to show a completely new part of their recruiting skill to be successful quickly which is what fans will demand.

Thanks for the research too.
    Are there coaches who are not named Richey/DeVries/Kelsey who have been successful at it? My concern is that if you're thinking that way, we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Marshall certainly wasn't successful in recruiting NBA-level players at Winthrop until he got to WSU. It's hard to expect coaches to recruit at the level we're used to if they're not at our level, or even close to it.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Might want to check the date on that article. It's a year old.
      Might want to try keeping up. Already pointed out a couple pages ago and acknowledged.

Comment

• George Mason's Kim English is being mentioned as a serious contender for the Providence job......interesting.....

Would any of us be excited over that hire?
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
          George Mason's Kim English is being mentioned as a serious contender for the Providence job......interesting.....

Probably not. He's from the east coast, so probably part of the reason he's being considered. But he's still unproven.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Somewhere I have heard Jai Lucas’ name brought up and I don’t even recall if it was for this job. He and Kellen Sampson are exactly the type of assistant coach worth taking a risk on because they are such dynamic recruiters and so connected. Exactly what is needed in this environment.
            I'd be totally stoked about Jai Lucas as an ass't / lead recruiter. His name carries a lot of weight in the Houston area, not to mention his dad is still very active with youth basketball.

Comment

• So Kellen Sampson for HC and Jai Lucas for AHC? I'm game.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

And honestly, that’s a worthy concern.

My thought is that coaches like this will be able to land, retain, and attract players with a decent amount of NIL money. They’ve clearly done it without that.

Fun conversation. Challenging opinions are good, so long as they are grounded.
                Ironically they both followed Niko Medved at their respective destinations. I just feel like them all having won the entire time they were at their place shows they don't need to wait 2-3 years to be good and that they are good enough coaches to coach up who they have, they just have good enough programs to keep guys around as well so it's like a win-win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Are there coaches who are not named Richey/DeVries/Kelsey who have been successful at it? My concern is that if you're thinking that way, we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Marshall certainly wasn't successful in recruiting NBA-level players at Winthrop until he got to WSU. It's hard to expect coaches to recruit at the level we're used to if they're not at our level, or even close to it.
                  This is why it drives me nuts when people say Coach A at X blueblood is a better coach than coach B. How bout you give them the exact same resources and rosters and then we will see.

You just don't know what will happen until a coach gets here. Probably one of many reasons I like the idea of Jans. He gets this place.
                  Last edited by Shocktoberfest; March 20, 2023, 02:31 PM.

Comment

George Mason's Kim English is being mentioned as a serious contender for the Providence job......interesting.....

That's what I was just coming over to mention as well because I hadn't even thought of him until I saw him up for the Providence job. I know a ton of Missouri people were really wanting him last year if he had a couple more years of experience, just a little too green to be taking that job. There's definitely people I would be more mad about.

He was an assistant for 3 years under Frank Haith at Tulsa, which Frank is a great X's and O's coach, was with Tad Boyle at Colorado for 2 years and then went to Tennessee for 2 years under Rick Barnes. Talk about being groomed as a head coach
                    Last edited by shockerfan_realist; March 20, 2023, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Scratch Pitino he is going to St. Johns

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

So the Spradlin fears can be put to rest. He did use possible interest to get a raise.
                        Not a big surprise for me.

FHCGM- Has enough time passed that it may not look so controversial for him to be rehired? FHCMT- It was reported that allegedly had IB not had such a great season FHCMT would’ve been hired. Greg Heiar- Makes the most sense in my opinion. Keep IB- The athletic department is strapped for cash and can’t afford to pay 3

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Nailed it!

Comment

Maybe. And that would be another one that would make sense to at least Guage interest
                            Many would have laughed saying Brey is unrealistic.
                            Last edited by BostonWu; March 20, 2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              This coaching search highlights what a poor job was done in hiring IB who probably could have been had easily @ 400K for three years. Don't disagree with his hiring but the contract we gave him was ludicrous !
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Many would have laughed saying unrealistic
                                Apparnetly, that article is a year old so I did not nail it. Yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X