Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Speaking to people who know Mark, I think he understands he didn’t realize at the time how good he had it here. That was 15 years ago. I forgive him.
    100% this. That’s not to say that having him back would work. I don’t think it’s a good idea for a few reasons, but none of them have to go with hard feelings. You are completely correct.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Speaking to people who know Mark, I think he understands he didn’t realize at the time how good he had it here. That was 15 years ago. I forgive him.
      Yeah, I believe he definitely had some regrets and has for a while now.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

LOL

Grant McCasland
        Greg Heiar
        Bob Richey (I know he has gotten a lot of flack on this board because of 76 but he actually has been pretty successful at Furman)
        Bryan Mullins
        Darian DeVries

And that’s from a quick search. None of those guys have something that can be used against them in recruiting and hurt perception like Marshall does. Right or wrong, that’s reality.

It’s amazing that we even have to have this conversation. Marshall is gone. He ain’t coming back. And it’s utterly insane to suggest otherwise.

Would Marshall have done better than IB overall? Likely. But he’s gone. We can pay tribute to him as the best coach we’ve had (or right alongside Ralph Miller) without suggesting something that has no possibility of happening.
        the posters screaming about naming names have disappeared lol.

I understand having fond memories over the final four, undefeated season, etc. but those weren't coming back even with Marshall as the coach. We still cant recruit at the level necessary for the AAC. We've had roster turnover worse than nearly every team in the country since Landry left. All of this started with Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I understand having fond memories over the final four, undefeated season, etc. but those weren't coming back even with Marshall as the coach. We still cant recruit at the level necessary for the AAC. We've had roster turnover worse than nearly every team in the country since Landry left. All of this started with Marshall.
          Im still here. And I’m still meh.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's extremely concerning to read the Eagle article and hear that the team had an entire week of bad practice. That is unacceptable and completely on the coaching staff.

A coach has to be able to instill a certain level of fear into the players. Otherwise there is zero fear of consequence for slacking off and stepping out of line.

It's clear to me that the players in general neither respect or fear IB at all. I'm sure they "like" him.

It doesn't matter if he's the best X's and O's guy in the country, or the best recruiter. He isn't going to accomplish anything if the players don't respect him.

Absent a complete 180 in the next few weeks, IB is done in my mind. Recruiting is going to become impossible, as every opposing coach will tell recruits that IB is on the hot seat.

Comment

People are underestimating how big of a hit we we’d take in recruiting with the news Marshall has against him. That’s enough to shift someone away from us when there are other good options.

I’m not sure IB is the one for this job at all. So I’m open to whoever Saal has in mind. Just frustrating, given this is the main tie I’ve got to the US after moving to the UK

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                It's extremely concerning to read the Eagle article and hear that the team had an entire week of bad practice. That is unacceptable and completely on the coaching staff.

A coach has to be able to instill a certain level of fear into the players. Otherwise there is zero fear of consequence for slacking off and stepping out of line.

It's clear to me that the players in general neither respect or fear IB at all. I'm sure they "like" him.

It doesn't matter if he's the best X's and O's guy in the country, or the best recruiter. He isn't going to accomplish anything if the players don't respect him.

Absent a complete 180 in the next few weeks, IB is done in my mind. Recruiting is going to become impossible, as every opposing coach will tell recruits that IB is on the hot seat.
                Maybe I'm being naive, but you tell them not to fire up a 3 in the first few seconds of the clock, if they go ahead and do that, you send somebody to the table immediately. You tell them to make sure the post gets a touch before you shoot, if they don't feed the post, you take them out. Is it harder than that?

Comment

The team that started the turnover needed to go, IMHO. Speaking for myself, I would cheer till I loose my voice (as I did the past 2 years at the Aftershock games) if I see the COACH and team playing hard, passionate, with MTXE. Remember playing angry? I do. Watching IB stand around on the sidelines with a blank look on his face is, to say the least, troubling. Hell, 3G had more passion in his wristwatch than IB has in his whole body. How does a coach let his team have a WEEK of bad practice? He's the leader, motivator. I would have had more respect for him if he would have started all of the walk-ons, and let the fans know the reason. 3G would have. Players coaches don't.

3G set a high bar. We shouldn't lower the bar now.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Point I'm trying to make is that fans would continue to support a team after a bad loss that shows they have some fight in them. The fight starts with the coach, and I continue to see zero fight in him. Just the same canned monotone responses.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting or stating that any of the above is true or not. That being said......

Let's take all of that as the truth.

Those are several, among dozens of reasons that you DON'T HIRE A COACH WITH NO HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE AT WICHITA STATE, DARRON!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                      3G set a high bar. We shouldn't lower the bar now.
                      No one's arguing that we lower the bar or that we should retain IB. The argument is against the posters who think bringing back 3G is a better option than choosing an up-and-coming coach, of which there are plenty to choose from, and none of which have the baggage that 3G has in the minds of recruits and their families.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I've actually seen more fire from HCIB in the last few games and seen him yank people for mistakes ... but it's still not helping. It's got to change one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

No one's arguing that we lower the bar, the argument is against the posters who think bringing back 3G is a better option than choosing an up-and-coming coach, of which there are plenty to choose from, and none of which have the baggage that 3G has in the minds of recruits and their families.
                          Yup .. Some seem to think our program is only good because of Marshall and that's the only path back to success. Program was good before Marshall (though maybe not to the heights he took us) but it can be just as good going forward without crawling back to Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup .. Some seem to think our program is only good because of Marshall and that's the only path back to success. Program was good before Marshall (though maybe not to the heights he took us) but it can be just as good going forward without crawling back to Marshall.
                            No way do I think he would come back. Honestly don't think he should, but our desire to achieve the heights he took us to will always bring comparisons to him.

Everyone on this forum knows IB is not the guy to get us where we want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Those are several, among dozens of reasons that you DON'T HIRE A COACH WITH NO HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE AT WICHITA STATE, DARRON!
                              I'm still not anti hiring someone with no head coaching experience. As I've said before, there are certain assistants that are groomed for head jobs and that you can tell the odds favor them. Most of us would have had no issue if Marshall left and Jans had taken over with no HC experience. Jans only went on to prove he was a damn good HC.

IB was never seen by much of anyone as a future HC. The guy allegedly even turned down a few interview requests, which would seem to indicate that even he had his doubts of being in the lead seat.

If Saal finds a fiery young assistant that has the absolute makings of a head guy, and has been part of some high functioning teams, I wouldn't object to it. Would I feel better about hiring someone who has had success in the lead chair? Of course. Would I frown upon a hot up and coming assistant who has been groomed for the job? Absolutely not. Head coach or assistant coach, it really comes down to passion, ambition and connection. Saal can go get that from either place.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Gregg ain't coming back fellas. He's very content and can live with what he's accomplished, which is a **** ton. All we can do is thank him and applaud him for what he's done on and off the court, which is a lot for the U and the city.

Comment

Working...
                                X